Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

I got all the intakes done inside and out, plus about a metre of the top nacelle and the port nacelle. Now I'm out of resin, saving up for the next batch to finish it. There's still a top coat to go, some body-filler, and sanding with the big orbital, before a final paint.

w4wSOZC.jpg

In the meantime, I thought I'd try to make the RCS ports look a little more technical with some detail in the holes.

6EFk8gf.jpg

wGRBRFV.jpg

xDfxGMV.jpg

NmByHQT.jpg

Started sanding the fibreglass. Port wing back on so I can do this as well as start hooking up the nav light electrics.

7oVBklm.jpg

The flight suit is all but finished. I brought it all home to put on the last couple of bits of the ensemble and to look for anything that needs adjusting. The pre-flight check list pocket somehow snuck up the leg too far and we didn't notice it until it was all on. I'll have to unpick it and move it down the leg so it's readable in the sitting position in the cockpit.

My friend and tailor, Alistair, who has previously worked in the costume departments of quite a few blockbuster movies and TV series, was the man who did all the sewing machine work. I have him to thank for his patience and expertise. I just provided material, consultation and reference, plus a little bit of grunt work when it came to cutting, glueing and sourcing accessories.

Sometimes I cringe at cosplay, especially when a grown adult is playing fantasy dress-ups. I have to remind myself that it's an art-form, requiring a mature approach, patience and skill, to achieve something special. The Viper itself has taught me so much and though I can't use a sewing machine, the opportunity to see what goes into a costume for a movie, was eye-opening.

kTx2xY8.jpg

Ebkkoh4.jpg

7njkyAV.jpg

IVJ5Wek.jpg

While I'm waiting to sell another blade so I can afford the resin to finish the hull -

Did a bit of bog work to tidy the ends of the nav light housing.

8FPZml2.jpg

Ran power to nav lights on the port wing and the strobe on the tail.

cetpW6A.jpg

Re-organised the workshop so I can fit both wings on at once. Yes, they are removable so I can get the Viper out of the shed. (I can't believe the amount of people who ask, like I never thought of that.)

hw2rfIw.jpg

G'day all.

For personal reasons, time, health and life priorities, I am going to start phasing out regular posting to forums and reduce to social media.

Once the Viper is finished, I will cut back even more.

For those who are interested in following progress on my work, you can find it on the platforms below.

WEB

FACEBOOK

YOUTUBE

INSTAGRAM

I've been pretty busy with taking over the world, so I've tried my best to get a bit of time on the Viper. I finished fibreglassing the entire ship, then gave it a coat of resin filler. After sanding the high points down and identifying eh low points, I've started the bogging process. Hard work that will take time for a one man army.

I also finished installing all the RCS ports under the ship and on the top of the engine nacelles.

When I ran out of bog last week, I made a couple of jigs to guide the palm-router and carve in some details in the cannons.

The other night, I tweaked a few ideas for the trailer/display podium.

Back to work.

3fSSozk.jpg

H07Bc0z.jpg

N43TdGc.jpg

I8NPGoW.jpg

Qk7cdMU.jpg

SIrV1bt.jpg

utEn8Az.jpg

PyxpQpT.jpg

Both sides will be level platforms with bollards all the way around to maintain crowd control and direction, but one side will have no ladder, for uninterrupted photos and group shots.
The axles may have to be positioned further aft, but I'll work that out a bit more later.

It is coming out so well. I love the trailer to display idea. You could even paint the hitch to seem intentional, like a warning/barrier to stay clear of the hot engines.

I love that display idea. This really is an inspiring build.i wish I had more input I could give, but at this point it all would seem lesser in value.

Updates!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back