Bungie and the Ban Hammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgon47

"It's coming: Bungie is getting the Halo 3 ban-hammer ready

By Ben Kuchera | Published: October 22, 2007 - 10:34AM CT

If you're a cheater or an online trouble-maker in Halo 3, Bungie has it in for you. Last Friday they posted a message—more of a threat, really—saying that they know who you are, and they're not happy.

"There are those of you doing things you shouldn’t be in Halo 3. Some of you have gotten a little too famous for your own good. This ain’t a church and there is no redemption or salvation once you have been judged. Apologies are now officially too late to save you.

The storm approaches.

Love, Bungie"

The tongue-in-cheek message is clearly meant to send the online community into a frenzy of terrified squeals, but what's really going on? A member of the Ars Technica forum community who happens to work at Bungie chimed in with what the message means saying that they're "almost done dialing in the Banhammer, and a few people who helped us test Phase One are about to help us test Phase Two." What are they looking for?

Network attacks, by and large. Hard to prevent, easy to detect, but we've had to wait and make sure there were no game issues that could be confused for abusive behavior.

Banning a false positive is worse than missing several legitmate bridgers, DDoS'ers, and their ilk. So our process has been pretty methodical so far.

You can't run, you can't hide, and your accounts are forfeit. The reckoning is coming."

Good luck guys!

Spartan-419 said:
Do they mean people cheating to get the achievements?

I sure they mean people cheating to win multiplayer matches to up their ranking/skill.

Sort of like back when I played Halo 2, it was called Modem Delay or something like that and only worked if you were the game host. The screen would go to loading like a player was quiting then when the game started back up you were dead all of a sudden. I'm sure someone found a way to adapt it to Halo 3 even though I thought Bungie said they had taken care of that problem. In most cases, when it's occuring it looks like everyone is lagging.

Cheating is most likely considered, playing of the game in any other way in which it was intended. (Most Likely Multiplayer Only)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they would ban people just for boosting their EXP...

Its people like this that irritate me...
GT: Benny018

Go to his Game history, and on page 4-7 or any game from 10/10/07 to 10/22/07 really, there are a ton of rumble pit games... social games where he logs in 3 guests on his box, the has another account, on another box who also logs in a guest... then the game starts and Magically Delicious like the Lucky Charms cereal goon, he wins every time... then just check his social medal chest... you really think anyone can win 110 games, by killing 5 other people to win the game with 25 kills... while no one else playing (his "guests") get any kills...

Its called EXP boosting, and i wish they'd get banned too...

But Bungie says they can do it as long as their Ranked Games are played legitimately...

Spase said:
I wish they would ban people just for boosting their EXP...

Its people like this that irritate me...
GT: Benny018

Go to his Game history, and on page 4-7 or any game from 10/10/07 to 10/22/07 really, there are a ton of rumble pit games... social games where he logs in 3 guests on his box, the has another account, on another box who also logs in a guest... then the game starts and Magically Delicious like the Lucky Charms cereal goon, he wins every time... then just check his social medal chest... you really think anyone can win 110 games, by killing 5 other people to win the game with 25 kills... while no one else playing (his "guests") get any kills...

Its called EXP boosting, and i wish they'd get banned too...

But Bungie says they can do it as long as their Ranked Games are played legitimately...

one of my XBL friends said someone they knew someone that got caught boosting and they were banned
dont know if its true but thats what i've heard

Last edited by a moderator:
Bungie Specifaclly stated that using this tactic to boost your EXP was not detrimental to game play if done in social game settings, and anyone doing such would be frowned upon, but as long as the obtain their "ranked game" rank legit style, then they couldn't do anythign about it. The Bans ar reserved for palyers they affect the way the game is played, in RANKED games only. EXP is not an accurate representation of a players skill, just a measure of how many games they have played. where as you RANKED playlist ranking is whats important. Anyone found boosting, Standby'ing, or Bridging, or DDOS'ers in Ranked playlists are all getting ban hammered...

But your free to boost exp in social... still redic way of making yourself look cool... don't they know we can all look this up, and they look foolish by doing it...

i really dont see what the problem is with xp boosting. what do they get from it?
Absoloutly nothing.

If it were cod4, then there would be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back