Bungie Gets Recon Helmet Gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys, no ones gonna win if you're just bitching around.

Who cares if it's pep or not, just wait and see.

If Adam has Brian's email, then, one more reason to wait.

ReconComparison2.jpg

Yeah, clearly it's a physical impossibility.

Unless you have proof of how this helmet was made to share with us, you are no more informed than any of the rest of us. You're not the only person at this forum who has folded that helmet multiple times. I don't know why you would assume that your experience is superior to everyone else's here and is just cause to insult us.

Your flawless logic apparently cannot rationalize that alteration can be done before or after the modeling stage. You admit that such alterations can be made to the 3-D model, so how exactly could it be impossible to make the same changes to the physical model after it was resined?

One way or another, your logic is in error. I don't care whether this was pep based or not, but the point is that it's entirely possible that this helmet could be made either way. Anyone who argues differently has too much experience folding paper and not enough experience actually finishing their armor.

May I add something as well. The fact that someone says that its impossible to rework a finished pep file and change it that much is not exacty true. Myself as well as Belakor have reworked and changed the physics of resined builds. The pictures in Sean's post is may I say, Peps. from the infamous Bungie helm all the way to Belakors, PEP. Look at Belakor's first recon build and then his reworked build with clay over the original, they look alot different. Also, the last pic is not a finished helm and no one has seen any more progress since that pic. Who's to say that the Bungie helm isn't Belakor's finished product, we haven't seen it finished. But then again, maybe we have.

RadioactiV777 said:
Um, Rube made his helmet off of the Weta version ODST, it is a different model than the model you cited.

It's true, I used NZ-TK's model but it wouldn't have mattered. I made major changes in proportion and detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
:oops:

Thanks for correcting me. I'll change that, but it's not really the point anymore is it?

Y'know guys, all this arguing came out of negative reaction to an optimistic comment I made trying to encourage lurkers (and maybe the creator of this recon helmet) to get involved here at the 405th. I was trying to take the existence of this helmet as a sign that we are reaching out the Halo fan community in helpful ways that we're not even aware of. It was a message of goodwill to the scores of people who come here every day to read all this stuff we write, but haven't found reason yet to join us.

Destroying that goodwill by following it up with a solid page of pointless arguing wasn't my intention, nor something I can continue to participate in.

Enjoy your discussion, sorry for the ideological differences. I think I'll just stay out of it now.

I'm with Sean, I think that the people that lurk should join up, especially if they can do that caliber work off of anything freehand or pep. I'd like to see and hear how they do it that well cuz that higher level of precision is what I strive to do in all my work and I'd like to hear their tricks on how to make things look this good.

But I'm really gonna have to disagree with you Crucible on the fact that a Pep file cannot be modified. With a license for Pepakura Designer 3 you can export a PDO file as an STL, OBJ, or 3DS file. You can then very easily transform that mesh into whatever you want in a CAD program.

How I would modify the standard Wiki Recon file to look like the ones that Bungie received is by exporting it from Pepakura 3 as an STL file. Then import it into Rhino 4 where I can change the scale one dimensionally to make it a hair narrower down the middle just like the mystery helmet. From there I could then either pull on control points for the mesh or Cage Edit the front so that the visor was a bit wider and had more wraparound to it than the standard file. After a few touch ups here and there, I would then export the file from Rhino as an STL file, import it into Pepakura, unfold it, and then begin to assemble as normal. It's really not that hard to modify a pep file and I could probably modify the Recon file to look like this mystery build in less time than it took me to write this up here. Trust me, in the world of CAD modeling anything can be done and modified. How do you think people got the initial pep files to start with? By ripping the game models and editing them in CAD programs until they could be exported, unfolded and build to scale.

Just because you say it can't be done because you don't know how to do it doesn't mean that folks like us can't do it. Quite the opposite. We specialize in making your impossibility into pep files so that folks like you can use those files for free out of the goodness of our hearts.

Just my two cents.

i think I liked this thread better when it was more of a "OH SHI- THAT'S AWESOME PLZ JOIN US KTHXBAI" thread than when it became a "NO! You're wrong because I've done something that half of the other people have done here as well!" thread.

Anyways, if we really wanna know, somebody go find out who made it and ask.

Tater Mane said:
God forbid someone with talent makes something awesome by hand.

Always a heated discussion with you people.

That wasn't the argument.... :rolleyes

I suggest we all stop talking about how it's made, and discuss who made it. No need be all flaming over something like this.

I know someone at school who's dad works at Bungie; I don't know if he works at the office that got these, but I'll see if he heard anything about it from his dad.

One last thing to add, though.

Shameless bribery does not make ODST come out earlier. That's for those lurkers reading these topics. XD

Also:
Who could really go as far even to decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Also:
Who could really go as far even to decided to use even go want to do look more like?

That's epic. Thanks for bringing the funny back to the thread.

I'm sure all will be answered in time.

Well I'm just as surprised as everyone else, now Bungie will be marching through Washington with their Recon helmets and we are left in the dark searching for its creator! O where o where hath the builder lie? lol Ok that was a little too dramatic. Let's all just wait for Adam to Contact Brian and then this will all be settled soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back