Bungie Makes Deal With Activision

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbdenstore

Jr Member
Today its clear that Acitivison, the worlds largest publisher have signed a contract with bungie, a 10 year contract...

Activision, who have killed many of the greatest gamingseries, have now taken Bungie... Any thoughts about that?

Gameseries Activision have killed:

Tony Hawk game-series

Guitar Hero

And now, latest they are killing the Call Of Duty series.

How can this be good in ANY way??

If you dont belive me i sugest a quick google-search.

oh god... noooo... damn Activision

but then again.. if Reach is to be the last Halo related game made by Bungie, they wouldn't really be able to kill off the Halo franchise..

Well I knew someone would buy out Bungie sooner or later I would have expected it back when Marathon first came out though and I never would have guessed Activision aka Crapvision would be doing it.

I don't trust them, they might try to do something stupid with Call of Duty and Halo. I can feel it and especially since they're multi-platform.

Acitivison has done a great job for the cod4 and mw2 so im sure this combo will be deadly

EDIT2: bungie can not make another halo game that deal happened with Microsoft split

EDIT: fyi acitivison did not buy bungie they are still an independent company right from bungie website

Bungie and Activision Announce Exclusive, Worldwide Partnership.

The story of Bungie is wild, winding, and full of majestic wonder. We’ve treaded many pathways over these last nineteen years. But for all the twists and turns we’ve taken, we’re still doing what we set out to do from the beginning, back when the whole of “Bungie Software Products Corporation” consisted of two friends operating out of a basement in Chicago:

Making kick ass games that we want to play.

And as Bungie has grown, the industry’s best and brightest have been totally accretive to our own creative margins. It’s no secret that while the full might of our studio has focused on making Halo: Reach, another core team, led by our co-founder and Studio Creative Director, Jason Jones, has already begun laying the groundwork to bring our newest universe, stories, and characters to life.

Today, we’re poised to open a new chapter in Bungie’s history—one that begins with a partnership between Bungie and Activision and ends where we always knew it would, with World Domination. Our Next Big Thing now has a concrete path, leading from our studio to the platforms of our choosing. The business formalities are behind us. Our Constitution remains unchanged. We are still Bungie, still independent, and now we are free to bring our stories to an ever bigger audience.

Next up, the most ambitious game we’ve ever made, Halo: Reach. Built upon ten years of experience developing the Halo franchise, we’ve assembled the best team, the best technology, and the best talent to ensure that Reach is the game our fans deserve. Strap in and buckle up tight, we’re sending our baby out with a bang.

Once the smoke clears, all the pieces will finally be in place for Step 7. Don’t worry, though. We won’t let World Domination go to our heads. We’re gonna keep making kick ass games on our own terms, and since you’ve been so supportive throughout the years, we’d love to bring you along for the ride.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEBUNGIE AND ACTIVISION ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE, WORLDWIDE PARTNERSHIP

10-Year Alliance Expands Global Reach for Leading Game Developer Across Multiple Platforms

Kirkland, WA and Santa Monica, CA – April 29, 2010 -- Bungie, the developer of blockbuster game franchises including Halo, Myth and Marathon, and Activision, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, the #1 online games publisher (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that they have entered into an exclusive 10-year partnership to bring Bungie’s next big action game universe to market. Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

The groundbreaking alliance will provide Bungie its first such partnership since splitting off from Microsoft in 2007, significantly broadening its global reach by providing the resources and support to develop, distribute and release games worldwide on multiple platforms and devices.

Activision will broaden its portfolio with a new franchise from one of the industry’s most creative, successful and proven studios, whose games have sold more than 25 million units worldwide. To date, Bungie’s Halo games have generated approximately $1.5 billion in revenues, according to The NPD Group, Charttrack and GfK. Activision expects this agreement to be accretive to its operating margins as of the release of the first game.

“We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise,” said Harold Ryan, President of Bungie. “From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences.”

“Bungie is one of the premier studios in our industry and we are extremely pleased to have the opportunity to work with their talented team over the next decade,” stated Thomas Tippl, Chief Operating Officer of Activision Blizzard. “Bungie has developed some of the most compelling and successful games, multiplayer experiences and thriving fan communities, and this alliance underscores our long-standing commitment to foster the industry’s best creative talent. Our unprecedented partnership with Bungie will enable us to broaden our pipeline of exciting new games as we continue to strengthen our industry position and pursue long-term growth opportunities.”

Spartan 051 said:
EDIT: fyi acitivison did not buy bungie they are still an independent company right from bungie website

Ye, know, edited post to make more sense :)

(or maybe it does less sense, who knows)

Last edited by a moderator:
i edited because i commented on call of duty first then looked up real facts that activation did not bungie proving your post wrong

At first, I was like:

Noooooo!!!.jpg

...then I read that it's just a publishing deal, and Bungie is still an independent company, so I started to feel a little better about this news.

Maybe it's Bungie's little way of saying "f*** you!" to Microsoft. Call of Duty is Halo's biggest enemy, and since Halo technically isn't Bungie's game anymore (now that Microsoft owns the IP)...

God speed, Bungie and Activision. Avenge the loss of one of Bungie's own.

The big reason for bungie, PUBLISHING. Their new IP(intellectual property) will be able to hit most platforms...(not sure about the wii). They are expanding their territory. Now they can have all their fans play their beloved games, which means more money for them from more then one console.

Thank god its just a publishing contract. but makes you wonder if its to hit alot of platforms, coulder their new IP also include a future mmo with-in the 10-year contract.

Spartan 051 said:
Acitivison has done a great job for the cod4 and mw2 so im sure this combo will be deadly

yeah, if by great job you mean totally screwing over the pc gaming community yeah they did super!

I hate activision. I've hated it since they contributed to the degradation of Atari.

Thank god it is only a publishing deal. If they were totally bought out...

Let's hope that Bungie stays afloat.

They STARTED those great series too.

I'm sure Bungie's got something good up their sleves. Remember how EA was a horrible publisher that ruined everything then Dead Space came out?

xalener said:
I'm sure Bungie's got something good up their sleves. Remember how EA was a horrible publisher that ruined everything then Mass Effect came out?

fix'd

xalener said:
They STARTED those great series too.

I'm sure Bungie's got something good up their sleves. Remember how EA was a horrible publisher that ruined everything then Mirror's Edge came out?

moar fix'd.

Much as I hate Activision, I don't think they're actually getting any rights, here. I'm pretty sure, from how that was worded, all they're doing is getting their name on Bungie games, while Bungie gets to leave the Xbox (finally?). Maybe a Marathon remake? :)lol "That was a joke, ha-ha, fat chance.")

In any case, I doubt they'll make Infinity Ward's mistake and let Activision take part in the actual production process. That's why WaW sucked. Though, you'll be good to note MW and MW2 were produced in-house at I-dub, not Activision. If Bungie follows THAT pattern, we'll continue to see kickass games from the studio. If they follow the WaW principle, we're screwed. In any case, this should bring some more money in for Bungie. Release on multiple consoles can't hurt them. (Though I wonder if Sony fanboys will be able to swallow their pride and buy a Bungie game)

Liq said:
yeah, if by great job you mean totally screwing over the pc gaming community yeah they did super!

Activision also screwed over infinity ward studio owners from their own royalty money a good buck of millions (from the Call of Duty Franchise).

Activision fired them, stating they broke contract (even though there's no evidence anything ever happened), just so they wouldn't have to pay.

Game Informer link

Lets hope they dont screw over our favorite sci-fi studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back