Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadet

Executive Officer
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S111
Figured I would give this its own thread to track my progress.

Started work on my Mark V last night thanks to Moz's awesome pdo files. I have always loved the Mark V. Plus this way I can be the the MAster Chief for Halloween, and then it can get get made into season 2 Caboose from red Vs. Blue, which will just be painting it blue and putting a bullet hole in the left foot. (I can't believe Church shot me!)

Here's some pics:

Constructed, wearing it
DSCN1302.jpg

Constructed, Side:
DSCN1297.jpg

Constructed, Front:
DSCN1298.jpg

In Progress:
DSCN1296.jpg

Yeah, its alot smoother and cleaner. I like the MKV better, but it wasnt available when I started doing this.

feigned-echo said:
is the mark V different in shape from the others?

The Mk V MJOLNIR armour is what was seen in the first HALO game. Only recently has a Pepakura format been made for others to make...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, you might want to see about raising the armor bits on the forearms and legs with bondo. See image below.

SPARTAN II said:
The Mk V MJOLNIR armour is what was seen in the first HALO game. Only recently has a Pepakura format been made for others to make...

I know my original MK V files are crappy but they have been around since March.

How else would I have made this...:p

MkVsuit006-1.jpg

Sigma-LS said:
Looking good, you might want to see about raising the armor bits on the forearms and legs with bondo. See image below.

That was my plan, I printed out the forearms twice, once without the textures, and then once with the textures, which you can see sort of haphazardly glued on top of the assembled non textured forearms. The glued on textured sections will serve as my base for building it up with bondo or styrene or sentra plastic. Was planning on doing the same for the legs.

You got anymore pics of your MK V, Sigma? I'd love to see them!

Cadet said:
That was my plan, I printed out the forearms twice, once without the textures, and then once with the textures, which you can see sort of haphazardly glued on top of the assembled non textured forearms. The glued on textured sections will serve as my base for building it up with bondo or styrene or sentra plastic. Was planning on doing the same for the legs.

You got anymore pics of your MK V, Sigma? I'd love to see them!

HA!

I did that too, before I did it on my helmet. I cut it out of posterboard though from a paper template (used scap) then glued it on. When I did the forearms I used selective folding. I don't have a picture of it right now unpainted so you might not be able to see. but basically I only folded things that are suppose to be sharp edges. Anything that was a part of some kind of curve I left alone. Making a nice round and smooth shape.

I see the helmet came out the way I was afraid it would. The way bungie did the model the visor isn't actually attached to anything, and there are big polygons that cross through the helmet (instead of having two triangles on each visor edge, just one big one that goes to both.

it means that when you assemble the helmet it doesn't have the support of the visor and sags. My idea for when I do mine is to build the top and bottom separately, re-enforce the bottom with more cardstock, the combine them for resin and fiberglassing.

Moz said:
it means that when you assemble the helmet it doesn't have the support of the visor and sags. My idea for when I do mine is to build the top and bottom separately, re-enforce the bottom with more cardstock, the combine them for resin and fiberglassing.

I know that will work Moz because that's what I did with mine. Great minds and all that ;).

Cadet- I'll load up some more pics in my gallery. I actually have a little more done than what's in the pics but my Mk V has been shelved since August so I could finish my Mk VI for launch. I think what I might do instead of finishing it is repaint it to match my Mk VI and use the helm, shoulders and chest to be like the Mk V H3 varient.

Right Shoulder/Bicep assembled:
Close up, on arm:
DSCN1309.jpg

Mid range, on arm with forearm:
DSCN1308.jpg

By itself:
DSCN1311.jpg

Both arms are now assembled:
DSCN1312.jpg

Quick update on my progress:

Helmet: Fiberglassed, ready for clean up and then painting.
Left Shoulder: Exterior Resined, ready for interior fiberglassing
Right Shoulder: Exterior Resined, ready for interior fiberglassing
Left Forearm: Exterior Resined, ready for interior fiberglassing
Right Forearm: Exterior Resined, ready for interior fiberglassing
Chest: Assembled, ready for resin and fiberglassing
Backpack: Assembled, ready for resin and fiberglassing
Cod/Butt: Assembled, ready for resin and fiberglassing
Stomach: Assembled, ready for resin and fiberglassing
Left Boot: Assembled, ready for resin and fiberglassing
Right Boot: Assembled, ready for resin and fiberglassing
Left Thigh: Printed, scoring as we speak
Right Thigh: Printed, scoring as we speak

My brother is coming over later to fiberglass my body cast, finally :rolleyes it's been sitting the garage for like 6 months now. Anyway, I should be able to knock out the vast majority of the fiberglass work today. Will post pics later.

Continuing this thrilling conversation with myself, every piece has been assembled and I was able to fiberglass everything but the forearms and half of the thighs this weekend. Odd thing though, the fiberglass started off acting normal, but towards the end of the day when the sun started to go down (I was fiberglassing in my front yard) the resin started to not set up. Even as I write this the resin on the last couple of pieces is till sort of tacky. Also, instead of drying that nice yellow/brown color that fiberglass resin normally drys, it was turning a sort of blue-green. I put some baby powder on it to see if that would help dry it out, it sort of did. Guess we'll have to wait and see. :unsure:

Also, can anyone recommend a good green to use for the armor for Halo: CE Master Chief?

Any who, pictures.
Cardboard detailing on thighs to create raised armor sections:
DSCN1320.jpg

Bucket:
DSCN1322.jpg

Pieces that actually dried well :rolleyes
DSCN1323.jpg

My bro working on my body cast well I work on my armor:
DSCN1326.jpg

"Starry night"
DSCN1324.jpg

Got the resin to harden the next day by adding more hardener to it, and adding a new layer of fiberglass with more hardener.

Progress pics, helmet and chest now painted!

DSCN1333.jpg

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1330.jpg

I used the toothpaste method of weathering, here's a shot in progress:
DSCN1332.jpg

I painted the base color, in this case, silver. Then where I wanted the silver to show through, like scratches or dents, I put toothpaste in that spot. Then I painted the exterior layer, and wiped away the toothpaste, to reveal the base layer.

Thats very creative, a very nice weathering technique it is, second pic looks like masterchief has boils on his helmet lol.

Everything, 'cept for the cod and butt plate have been painted.

Laying out
DSCN1347.jpg

Chest/Stomach
DSCN1348.jpg

Terrible picture of a test fitting of armor, temporary tape to hold the chest/back together gave out just as the picture was taken.

DSCN1351.jpg

Boots/Shin:
DSCN1342.jpg

Legs:
DSCN1349.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back