Camouflage Painting Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachary

BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Hi! in this thread i will try to breakdown the painting process of some camo patern to hopefully make it less intimidating to do!

by the end of the process you should be left with something that looks like this:
DSC_9391.JPG
DSC_9401.JPG

The process is quite straight foreward! You will need:

- A pencil and an eraser (Important NOT to use a pen, the ink will bleed trough the paint!!!)
- A small paint brush
- The diffrent shades of paints*
*i followed a four shade camo patern so a light, a mid tone, a dark and a black (i used purple wall paint as my mid tone and i used some black and white acrylic paints to make my darker and lighter shades)
- some airtight containers for the paints
- Paper towels or a rag
- Water
- Refference images**
- What you want to paint (obviously)

DSC_9408.JPG

** The refference i followed while painting
806b783f72da2c6de5455264e3b681e0.jpg

STEP 1

118475770_981685315588172_3841344493863620291_n.jpg

Take the peices that requires the camo patern and paint the entire area that will be covered in camo with the mid tone. this makes it easier when painting as you wont need perfect allignment of the patern on your peices.

1598716949356.png

STEP 2
Once the base coat is applied, take your pencil and lightly trace out the shapes of the lighter shades, roughly spaced out like on the refference image that you're following. personaly I think I made the lighter color patches too big not defined enough, something i corrected later on down the line.
118524537_775957936549937_4330712640261586543_n.jpg

STEP 3
Repeat step 2 but for the darker shade. But do not paint everything on top of the lighter color, like in the refference some darker patach are under the lighter, so i painted around the lighter color as if it went under it.
118145319_703351363727719_8672162854118982147_n.jpg

*Again something i would change is make the dark shade even darker, as i find it is too similar to the mid tone

STEP 4
For the final layer, repeat step 2 with one main diffrence, the shape of thee black area are quite diffrente to the regulare spots, so I followed the general shapes of the black spots from the refference, so they cover a big area but with relativly thin strokes (see refference and next image) Also I painted additional black areas to balance the camo patern to make it look better
1598721177659.png

And There you go! you should have a pretty good looking camouflage patern! The only thing that is left to do it to use your favorite weathering technique tie everything together!

Hope you found this tutorial helpfull, if you have any questions, please let me know!
I'd like to thanks he4thbar for giving me advices before i started the painting process!

How did you paint the dark purple wall paint? With a brush? I don’t see any brush strokes. Looks sprayed and flawless. They came out great and nice write up on the tutorial.

How did you paint the dark purple wall paint? With a brush? I don’t see any brush strokes. Looks sprayed and flawless. They came out great and nice write up on the tutorial.
For the whole suit i use a small 20$ paint gun from amazon to speed up the painting process(that might be a thread for an other day), but for the camo a used a the small brush shown in the material image and thin layers of paint, as it ddries it levels out and the strokes become invisible!
and thanks!

Wow, thanks for the tutorial. I'm only newbie here, but I was thinking of using markers for things like this. For example, as I know acrylic markers are as durable as paint. I want to try some unusual colors such as glitter like here

Wow, thanks for the tutorial. I'm only newbie here, but I was thinking of using markers for things like this. For example, as I know acrylic markers are as durable as paint. I want to try some unusual colors such as glitter like here
Glad to know it was useful to you! i have to main worries about the markers, I would be worried about how opaque the pigments are and how long it would take to cover an area uniformly with a very fine point, if you do try it, please let me know how it went, i'd be curious to see the result!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back