Can I buy an ODST full set of armor? And if so for how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Unfortunately I do not think you are going to be able to find a complete set of ODST armor made for you for that price. You might be able to make one for yourself for around that price, but commissioning a custom build or buying a kit from a maker like Sean Bradley, you are looking at least probably $1000

If you really want to buy one, I suggest looking at the website Etsy

But here on these forums, everyone will encourage and help you build your set of armor mostly from start to finish. If you have a question, more than likely someone will reply to answer. Even more likely if someone replies, Dirtdives will like your post and crack some joke.

In other words, everyone here is basically one big family, and are willing to help each other out free of charge.

I hope you stay on the forums my man, and happy cosplay

Even more likely if someone replies, Dirtdives will like your post and crack some joke.

You make it sound that all I do is "like" posts and crack jokes..........now there's a dirty joke in there, pun intended, but lets keep the forum clean please. Welcome to the 405th Tman10117, but yes, Phauxelate is right. Plenty of people here to help out.

And just because, Phauxelate, I'm not "likeing" your post........:lol:

My price range is a max of $400ish but it's subject to change. My height is 5'4.
For that money,you really only have two options. You can buy the seanbradley vacuum form kit form etsy for $450( ut you would have to do all the paint and padding, strapping, etc. A helmet or even a odst backpack can cost $200 or more, so... yeah... you can also find someone's really old suit that they are selling somewhere and see if you can get it for 400, but it more than likely wont drop below $300, even if it is an old suit. Some alternatives, is even if you have never painted, worked on a costume, or used your hands before, we can walk you through building your own suit for around $100-300. It all depends on how good you want it to turn out, how much effort you put into it, how much you are willing to invest, and how much time you give it.

Hi Tmam, glad to see you show an interest in joining our Hell jumper brethren ;). Unfortunately though, it is going to be tough to get a full set of ODST for only 400$. It is possible though. You could go on Etsy and look at the Sean Bradly kit, but that would be 450$ and you would have to buy materials for the build as well. You would also have to acquire/ make a weapon which would also cost a little as well. As mentioned earlier though, depending on how much time and money you spend will affect the end result. Maybe you could save a little more money, start off with the Bradley kit on Etsy, buy his helmet mold, finish the kits then just make an smg out of EVA foam. If either of those aren’t an option, maybe you could setup a commission with a payment plan installed? Hope this helps a little and good luck on getting your ODST cosplay up and running :).

I’ll pile on the Sean Bradley kit as an option, but you’d have to do the finishing and get/make a prop. At $450 it’s a good deal. He even has a link in the shop listing for how to finish the armor if you want to check out the effort before buying.

I think the kit also says it’s made ideally for someone who’s 5’10”, but there are instructions on how to adjust if you’re taller or shorter. At 5’4” you’re right at the recommended range for that set.

Foam will likely be you’re cheapest option to get started making it yourself, which I’m certain any foamsmithers around here will be more than happy to help you get started.

Squints eyes
I see your squinty eyes and raise you 1 eye brow......
giphy.gif

I'm just gonna jump in here and stir things up a little more. If you were willing to build it yourself (which, definitely set aside some time) since budget seems to be the main limiting factor, you could buy all the foam you need off of harbor freight for about $30, say about $50 for sealant, $50 for paint, and you sitting at ~$130 with a budget of almost $300 for tools. I eyeballed that math, feel free to offer corrections geezers, but I feel like that might be a lucrative option for you Tman10117 if you've got $400 to play with, assuming you don't mind picking up a hobby. I'll let the other people figure out kits and such for commission pricing, that's not my area.

But no, I'm just super excited for this next year of building. I'm also hoping we get a ton of new people from HOD.

You could probably build your own foam kit for $4-500. If you buy one of Sean’s kits you’re looking at $450 for a raw kit that you’ll need to do extensive work to. You’ll also need a helmet and weapons. So realistically you’re looking at over a grand..

You could probably build your own foam kit for $4-500. If you buy one of Sean’s kits you’re looking at $450 for a raw kit that you’ll need to do extensive work to. You’ll also need a helmet and weapons. So realistically you’re looking at over a grand..

Not quite.... Most of the money for kits that people make to sell are higher priced so they make a profit. They buy the mats and spend the time themselves. That's what you're paying for.

The foam at Harbor freight is pretty decent for this kind of job, and if you catch it on sale, it's ~$50 USD for the armor and weapons in foam. The other tools like super glue, heat gun, knives, paints and what not could cost another ~$100 USD.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Doing that rough math, it could cost between $150-200 to build a suit yourself, though that can be higher depending on what brands you buy and what products you use.

Though getting a more quality suit depends on your skill level, so getting a quality suit could cost more because of buying more materials to practice. So if you're just starting out and want a good suit without making it yourself, buy a kit. But if you're going to be cosplaying constantly, it'd be cheaper in the long run to practice building it yourself. At least that's my take on it

Not quite.... Most of the money for kits that people make to sell are higher priced so they make a profit. They buy the mats and spend the time themselves. That's what you're paying for.

The foam at Harbor freight is pretty decent for this kind of job, and if you catch it on sale, it's ~$50 USD for the armor and weapons in foam. The other tools like super glue, heat gun, knives, paints and what not could cost another ~$100 USD.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Doing that rough math, it could cost between $150-200 to build a suit yourself, though that can be higher depending on what brands you buy and what products you use.

Though getting a more quality suit depends on your skill level, so getting a quality suit could cost more because of buying more materials to practice. So if you're just starting out and want a good suit without making it yourself, buy a kit. But if you're going to be cosplaying constantly, it'd be cheaper in the long run to practice building it yourself. At least that's my take on it
You should look into the HD foam from SKS Props. I’ve used it, not only can you get a big roll for cheap it’s some of the best performing stuff out there.

The giant foam mats from hardware stores are marked up significantly. And if you can play the waiting game you can always order your foam and supplies from China.

I 3D Print and of someone commissioned me for a full con ready ODST Kit it would run you about $2,000.

The giant foam mats from hardware stores are marked up significantly. And if you can play the waiting game you can always order your foam and supplies from China.

Harbor freight foam is normally $9 (I think? Might be $8) per pack of 2x2ft foam tiles, with 4 each per pack. On sale it goes down to $6 per pack. That costs to around $45 for a full suit of armor for someone who's 6'2", and an another foam pack for the weapons, totaling to around $50.

Yes, I agree with you with you that hardware stores usually mark foam up significantly. But Harbor Freight is a hardware store that sells decent, cheap, and not name brand hardware making the price lower than normal.

I 3D Print and of someone commissioned me for a full con ready ODST Kit it would run you about $2,000.

That's a whole different ball game compared to foam. It gives arguably the best results, but takes a lot of time and money to do so. The filament to 3D print a suit will take about 11kg for someone who's 6'2". The majority of that $2,000 is the wear n tear on the printer, and time that they put into sanding and painting the plastic

Harbor freight foam is normally $9 (I think? Might be $8) per pack of 2x2ft foam tiles, with 4 each per pack. On sale it goes down to $6 per pack. That costs to around $45 for a full suit of armor for someone who's 6'2", and an another foam pack for the weapons, totaling to around $50.

Yes, I agree with you with you that hardware stores usually mark foam up significantly. But Harbor Freight is a hardware store that sells decent, cheap, and not name brand hardware making the price lower than normal.
They do have decent prices, I thought you said Home Depot before and then I went back and read you initial reply. My apologies. I think it can be done for about $200 in foam and maybe another $100-$150 in sealant, and paint supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back