Can You Make Molds Out Of Elmer's Glue?theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bored and I was messing with glue :rolleyes and then I thought,
Hey , I wonder If I could make a mold(small , like handplates) .I might try this but I dont want to ruin one of my handplates.....so if any1 could try this.first you have to put the item into a molding thing.that surounds the peice,then you fill the small container with glue , then put it into a freezer.thats my theory .then you could take out the piece(when the glue is hard) then you can take out your piece and make molds! :p but idk what you would use to fill the mold so you have a plastic piece...
Discuss! :D

Remember , its just a theory

222notforu!!! said:
I was bored and I was messing with glue :rolleyes and then I thought,
Hey , I wonder If I could make a mold(small , like handplates) .I might try this but I dont want to ruin one of my handplates.....so if any1 could try this.first you have to put the item into a molding thing.that surounds the peice,then you fill the small container then put it into a freezer.thats my theory .then you could take out the piece(when the glue is hard) then you can take out your piece and make molds! :p but idk what you would use to fill the mold so you have a plastic piece...
Discuss! :D
Remember , its just a theory

Elmer's glue dilutes in water, so even if you where to make a mold, it would shrink as it dries and turn liquid when you tried to cast.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea i would say maybe but elmers glue generaly can harden and retain a shape but only in small amounts cause when you take large amounts it generaly will stay liquid

DoC ByTeS said:
Elmer's glue dilutes in water, so even if you where to make a mold, it would shrink as it dries and turn liquid when you tried to cast.

but what if you keep it in the freezer... ;)
but then cast it with plastic that you mix together.isnt that called hobbycast. or some other name.idk

It's a hypothesis. :p

You know, I've seen a lot of mini-mold (handplate etc.) discussions lately but if folks are going for molded armor, then why are they trying to do all these extraneous methods for the smaller stuff? I mean there's usually enough silicone left over from a larger project like a helmet to do something small like a handplate at the end right? Maybe just for practice at molding? Sorry, kind of thinking out loud, but I'd like to hear from you guys about it. Definitely some neat creative methods (hot glue comes to mind) that are spawning from it. :D

Tre Battle said:
yea i would say maybe but elmers glue generaly can harden and retain a shape but only in small amounts cause when you take large amounts it generaly will stay liquid

I remember in Kindergarten I found this holds very true....

A castle <ahem>, or anything large made of elmer's glue for that matter, will turn into a pile of gooey mess under it's own weight.

;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vexona @ Jun 27 2008, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I remember in Kindergarten I found this holds very true....

A castle <ahem>, or anything large made of elmer's glue for that matter, will turn into a pile of gooey mess under it's own weight.

;)</div>

You can remember all the way back to Kindergarden?! Wow.... I cant even remember waking up this morning....

Oh and elmers glue for molding....uh, no.

ok im going to try it.........with a water bottle cap!!!!!first i have to put together a place where I can pour my glue.cardboard!!

Just like to add that elmers cures by exchanging water with air. That means it will only form a skin of semi-hardened glue if it is too thickly poured (Thus all the gooey references). Freezing it won't speed up the process, and a cold mold will only inhibit the plastic from curing properly when you use it to cast if it works.

If money is that tight ( why else would you even be considering this?) Why don't you just get some latex? Its only a few $ per litre

Im done testing and it does work , but as soon as i took it out of my freezer , it started to melt on the sides
so my theory was wrong :mad: .but it was a fun experiment

well, the glue would have to of been on a plastic-y surface for it to work. Theres where you went wrong.
plus, you need it to dry, not freeze. theres also strike 2.
its a good theory, you just need it to dry on a smooth and glossy surface for it to come off of.

it should work,but i dont see why you would want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back