Can you repaint foam armour??

N8TEBB

Member DIN
S410
I'm going to be participating in an upcoming trunk or treat event at my church, and I really want to do a red vs blue theme. I've got my new red and white suit that will be just dandy for red team, but that only leaves my blue team friend with my not-very-blue master chief suit. So, my question is, has anyone here had a good experience repainting their armour? If so, how many times have you repainted your armour? This is foam armour that has been sprayed with plasti dip and spray paint. I won't have to repaint the helmet because I have an identical one and I can use.
halochristmas2022-61.jpg

And if I decide I don't want to go through all the trouble of repainting armour for a one night event, what do you think I might do to make this green Spartan undeniably blue team? Perhaps a blue cape?

I think you'd be right to just paint straight over it! As long as you're not building up heaps of layers that start equating to a few mm in thickness I don't see it being a problem.

IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1916.JPG
IMG_1920.JPG

Turns out repainting is no trouble at all! I just sprayed the new colour right over top of the old clear coat. I did get a few very small wrinkles on some of the pieces, but I think that's more because I was doing this in a hurry and didn't give the paint enough time to cure, especially in this cold weather. But they're only noticeable if I point them out, you really can't see them at all! I printed a new chief helmet because I didn't want to paint over the Jeff Steitzer signature I have on the original helmet. Overall, I'm quite happy with the new look!

IMG_1438.jpg
IMG_9493.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg

Side note: for those people who never throw anything out. 3 years ago when I made my chief suit I made a second visor for the helmet. I never planned on changing it, but I kept the visor jusssst in case I made another helmet in the future. And so I did! So if you're ever wondering if you should throw something out, just think: you might need it in three years. You can thank me later for your hoarding addiction :p

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back