Card Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitchfmx8811

Ok for my last armor I used poster board. I had to cut templates and glue to the poster board then I had to cut them out again. So this time im using card stock. My question is what is the lightest card stock anyones used. The thickest I could find was 90.

TwitchFMX8811 said:
Ok for my last armor I used poster board. I had to cut templates and glue to the poster board then I had to cut them out again. So this time im using card stock. My question is what is the lightest card stock anyones used. The thickest I could find was 90.

Lightest I would go is 110lb.

Wal-mart carries it.

$5 for 150 sheets

Last edited by a moderator:
Office Max and Staples sell 250 sheets of 100lbs cardstock for about 11 bucks, cheaper is you get it online but the you gotta pay shipping.

ketchup said:
while we're on this topic....which weight is mostly recommended???
That depends on what your printer can handle, check the specs on the printer manual to find the max weight your printer can handle then get that stock. Bad news to get 100 or 110 stock then find out your printer can't deal with it.

110 seems really sturdy and it can be Glassed without being resined first.

my experiences arnt so great with 90 but i guess it would be similar but you might have to add supports to keep it from deforming.

Twitch, if that's the the heaviest stock you printer can take, go with that. Save your scraps after cutting the parts out to reinforce some spots that may need it.

AoBfrost said:
90 will work, but 110 is the average of what we all use. I bought a 250 sheet pack.

how do you tell on the cardstock weight like i got a 50 pack from hallmark for $5 maybe more..can some one elp me out :oops:

The packet itself will say

Cardstock weight 90lb

Cardstock weight 65lb

Cardstock weight 110lb

in big bold lettering

if you paid 5 dollars, thats a rip off, I paid 8 dollars at staples and got 250 sheets.

a buddy of mine and I are in the process of makeing some armor right now. We did it with 90 cardstock. the thing to keep in mind is if your planning to paper mache' it, it gets very wet and starts to loose shape. So you'll want to work fast, and do little bits at a time. We also used Mod Podge adhesive, but someone else had suggested useing hot glue gun. Not sure if that would be worth it money wise. Mod Podge was perfect, apply it with a cue-tip and hold it for a few seconds to let it set and then move on.

Jarhead said:
That depends on what your printer can handle, check the specs on the printer manual to find the max weight your printer can handle then get that stock. Bad news to get 100 or 110 stock then find out your printer can't deal with it.

For all the n00bs and non-n00bs out there, go for
110lbs. cardstock. its tought, and is a good base for the pepakura helmet.

By the way, im making some armor (along with the helmet)
and need some ideas for what to paint it (what colors?!?!?)
something that will look cool!

Spartan-K22 said:
For all the n00bs and non-n00bs out there, go for
110lbs. cardstock. its tought, and is a good base for the pepakura helmet.

By the way, im making some armor (along with the helmet)
and need some ideas for what to paint it (what colors?!?!?)
something that will look cool!

It appears some people still fail to understand what I have been saying so I'll say it again in letters large enough for anyone to see
DO NOT USE 100 OR 110 STOCK IF YOUR PRINTER CAN'T HANDLE IT!If your printer specs says max weight 90lbs DO NOT trying sticking anything heavier in it! It won't feed correctly, you'll end up wasting both ink and paper and you run the risk of damaging the printer. Do you want to explain why a 20 cent sheet a cardstock damaged a 200 dollar printer??

Ok I bought some new card stock today and its heavier than 90 but it only gives the metric weight which is 28.76 What would that come out to be. And I have made another set before but I used poster board. (Dont feel like doing unnecessary steps this time) I use 5 sec dry super glue so I dont need to know what glue to use. Im also doing fiberglass and not paper mache.

AoBfrost said:
The packet itself will say

Cardstock weight 90lb

Cardstock weight 65lb

Cardstock weight 110lb

in big bold lettering

if you paid 5 dollars, thats a rip off, I paid 8 dollars at staples and got 250 sheets.

What?! I bought a 98lbs A4 size set of 30 sheets inside and it costs 7.50! I'm in singapore btw but still i don't think the difference should be THAT much! Am i buying the correct type? It says "Daler Rowney-Fine Grain-Cartridge" It looks like its for artists. Is this the type that you all buy?

Will the cardstock I just bought do the trick? The metric weight is 28.76. Dont know what the standard weight is. Also I paid $12 for 250 sheets.

TwitchFMX8811 said:
Will the cardstock I just bought do the trick? The metric weight is 28.76. Dont know what the standard weight is. Also I paid $12 for 250 sheets.

Metric... Does it say the paper weight in grams per square metre? If so it should be 160-200 gsm, preferably on the higher end of that range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back