Cardboard "Mold"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shavoc

Hey all,
Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm making a robocop helmet for halloween and I've gotten pretty far with the fit and overall look.

I've made the helmet out of regular corrugated cardboard. It was pretty easy but time consuming (what isn't right?).

What I want to do is this. Seal the cardboard and make a fiberglass mold of the cardboard (I don't want to stiffen the cardboard, it's just my template). Then possibly slush cast the fiberglass mold with plastic, then bondo it up, put in the details and make one final mold to recast in plastic.

The materials are cardboard and hotglue. What can I apply to the cardboard that will allow the resin/fiberglass to release easily. I'm not worried about capturing all the details of the cardboard as it's just a starting point, I want fiberglass/resin to be my new base to which I'll apply bondo to reshape and smooth and make 1 final cast of that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, I've made a few molds using paper or card, first you would need to go all the way to the bondo and sanding stage witht he helmet, making the surface as smooth as possible, any sanding circles or dents, scratches, etc. will also show up on castings. You want to make your mold with silicone, I have a few good sources if you want them just PM me. I don't use Rebound I use Illuseffects which is just as good in my opinion. Then you want to put your registration keys on the mold, and put a final layer of silicone on the keys and mold to protect it further. Now what I did for my 2 part mothermold is I went into a dark room, put a piece of cardboard against the wall with the mold in front of it with a side point of view then shined a flashlight on the side of the helmet to get a shadow on the cardboard, , cut the template out of the cardboard once you trace it, put it on your mold I use hot glue to hold it in place then put some aluminum foil on the cardboard wall and make your 2 piece fiberglass mothermold. Ther now I probably just blew your mind.

Ok, I've made a few molds using paper or card, first you would need to go all the way to the bondo and sanding stage witht he helmet, making the surface as smooth as possible, any sanding circles or dents, scratches, etc. will also show up on castings. You want to make your mold with silicone, I have a few good sources if you want them just PM me. I don't use Rebound I use Illuseffects which is just as good in my opinion. Then you want to put your registration keys on the mold, and put a final layer of silicone on the keys and mold to protect it further. Now what I did for my 2 part mothermold is I went into a dark room, put a piece of cardboard against the wall with the mold in front of it with a side point of view then shined a flashlight on the side of the helmet to get a shadow on the cardboard, , cut the template out of the cardboard once you trace it, put it on your mold I use hot glue to hold it in place then put some aluminum foil on the cardboard wall and make your 2 piece fiberglass mothermold. Ther now I probably just blew your mind.

So I should seal the outer cardboard with a few coats of resin, then bondo, shape etc. Should I just work in all my details at that point (instead of doing another cast in resin for final detail/bondo work) and use that as a mold for final cast. I hope I'm communicating this right lol. I guess your way would be faster and net the same results so I'll try that.

I've been debating on what to use to make the mold, dragon skin, rebound, illuseffects etc... not too worried about cost at this point but it does help lead me in a good direction :p

robocop

hi im intrested in making a robocop suite for my son.im was wondering how and wear you found and dowloaded your robocop filr.please any help yould be great.please reply to my email at jasonhudson88@gmail.com. thank you for ant help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back