Cardboard armor?

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by thesuperninja2, Oct 18, 2017.

1. thesuperninja2

thesuperninja2 New Member

Can you make a suit of armor from cardboard, and if so are there templates for cardboard armor?

2. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

Most definitely. Pepakura patterns would most likely work since most cardboards aren't too much thicker than paper/card. I'd expect to have to lose some tabs in certain joints just to account for thickness of the cardboard.

The only downside I can think of using cardboard is that it'll be less durable overall than foam or a resin hardened pep build but if you're looking to bang out a suit of armour quickly, this is probably the best route.

Dirtdives likes this.
  3. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

and cardboard is dirt cheap......you could even go to you local grocery store and ask for some cartons......not ones used for fruit or vegetables. Those will be stinky after a while.

TurboCharizard likes this.
  4. thesuperninja2

Okay. Do you know if there are non pepakura templates? because I have tried pepakura and I don't really like it.

5. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

There are templates for foam mixed in with all the Pep files available in The Armoury. You will most likely have to get creative in connecting the parts since there are no tabs on those files.

thesuperninja2 and Dirtdives like this.
  6. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

The only files you'll find on here are Pepakura (card+resin or EVA) or 3D printer (.stl or .obj) unfortunately. That's generally what people work with round these parts.

If you're not a fan of Pepakura you could always use the pep file as a basis, take the major sections minus the tabs for cardboard and just join them with duct tape. That's how I did my first cardboard costumes back before I knew what cosplay was or had even heard the word Pepakura. Red Green is a good source of knowledge for this method on YouTube.

thesuperninja2 and PaiganBoi like this.
  7. thesuperninja2

Thanks! Do you have a link to his youtube Chanel? Do you of any tutorials for this method?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  8. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

RedGreenTV

And remember, keep your stick on the ice.

PaiganBoi and mblackwell1002 like this.
  9. Jme

Jme

I did this for my first armour (ANH Stormtrooper) and it worked pretty well. I used bondo over the cardboard (which is the reason I swore to never use the stuff again).

I got all of the cardboard for free which was a bonus.

Here is a photo of the finished product. I have to say though it was pretty heavy and very hard to move in.

996337EA-9040-4C8E-82A4-6B57C563844F.jpeg

thesuperninja2 likes this.
  10. thesuperninja2

Was it heavy?

11. Jme

Jme

Yes but that was mostly due to the bondo that I used on it...no give either so it was hard to move in.

But man did it look cool.