Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you make a suit of armor from cardboard, and if so are there templates for cardboard armor?

Most definitely. Pepakura patterns would most likely work since most cardboards aren't too much thicker than paper/card. I'd expect to have to lose some tabs in certain joints just to account for thickness of the cardboard.

The only downside I can think of using cardboard is that it'll be less durable overall than foam or a resin hardened pep build but if you're looking to bang out a suit of armour quickly, this is probably the best route.

and cardboard is dirt cheap......you could even go to you local grocery store and ask for some cartons......not ones used for fruit or vegetables. Those will be stinky after a while.

Most definitely. Pepakura patterns would most likely work since most cardboards aren't too much thicker than paper/card. I'd expect to have to lose some tabs in certain joints just to account for thickness of the cardboard.

The only downside I can think of using cardboard is that it'll be less durable overall than foam or a resin hardened pep build but if you're looking to bang out a suit of armour quickly, this is probably the best route.

Okay. Do you know if there are non pepakura templates? because I have tried pepakura and I don't really like it.

Okay. Do you know if there are non pepakura templates? because I have tried pepakura and I don't really like it.

The only files you'll find on here are Pepakura (card+resin or EVA) or 3D printer (.stl or .obj) unfortunately. That's generally what people work with round these parts.

If you're not a fan of Pepakura you could always use the pep file as a basis, take the major sections minus the tabs for cardboard and just join them with duct tape. That's how I did my first cardboard costumes back before I knew what cosplay was or had even heard the word Pepakura. Red Green is a good source of knowledge for this method on YouTube.

The only files you'll find on here are Pepakura (card+resin or EVA) or 3D printer (.stl or .obj) unfortunately. That's generally what people work with round these parts.

If you're not a fan of Pepakura you could always use the pep file as a basis, take the major sections minus the tabs for cardboard and just join them with duct tape. That's how I did my first cardboard costumes back before I knew what cosplay was or had even heard the word Pepakura. Red Green is a good source of knowledge for this method on YouTube.

Thanks! Do you have a link to his youtube Chanel? Do you of any tutorials for this method?

Last edited:
I did this for my first armour (ANH Stormtrooper) and it worked pretty well. I used bondo over the cardboard (which is the reason I swore to never use the stuff again).

I got all of the cardboard for free which was a bonus.

Here is a photo of the finished product. I have to say though it was pretty heavy and very hard to move in.

996337EA-9040-4C8E-82A4-6B57C563844F.jpeg

Thanks! Do you have a link to his youtube Chanel?
I did this for my first armour (ANH Stormtrooper) and it worked pretty well. I used bondo over the cardboard (which is the reason I swore to never use the stuff again).

I got all of the cardboard for free which was a bonus.

Here is a photo of the finished product. I have to say though it was pretty heavy and very hard to move in.

View attachment 250446

Was it heavy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back