Chainsaw Ninja's first build halo reach armor w/ an ma5c assault rifle!!! wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually yes, I've decided it's going to be a textured metallic grey with dark red and the top somewhere is going to have a plasma burn as part of the battle damage. But I think it'd be better showing it than explaining it :p in good time. Bondo is coming along nicely still not sure how long I should let it set before sanding though.

Actually yes, I've decided it's going to be a textured metallic grey with dark red and the top somewhere is going to have a plasma burn as part of the battle damage. But I think it'd be better showing it than explaining it :p in good time. Bondo is coming along nicely still not sure how long I should let it set before sanding though.

Sounds great really excited to see finished product... also u building a full suit or just helmet?

Looking good man! Found this post because of the one you made on the Destiny post. After this project you should see about making your own Destiny helmet... you would have to start from scratch since destiny isn't even out yet but don't fret! Some ways are easier than others. :)

Sounds great really excited to see finished product... also u building a full suit or just helmet?

Looking good man! Found this post because of the one you made on the Destiny post. After this project you should see about making your own Destiny helmet... you would have to start from scratch since destiny isn't even out yet but don't fret! Some ways are easier than others. :)

Thanks to both of you. Methadone after much consideration I decided that I am doing a full suit :), and rookie thanks I may take a jab at it but for now I'm doin my armor :p

Update time everyone!!!!:

so Ive started on the bondo yesterday and im making some good progress im guessing the clumping issue is too much hardener, anyways i will upgrade this thread to a full suit of armor WIP but not right now. here are some pics!
DSCN4458_zps20e19294.jpg
DSCN4452_zps03b95727.jpg
after some sanding
DSCN4456_zps5bc4e922.jpg
and here i applied more bondo, sorry i don't have any pics on today's progress :/ but you will have them!!!

another thing, while i was sanding the bondo i have some places that seem to be pockets developed while applying so when i sand it i have to go back and fill em, how can i avoid this? and should i use spot putty to correct these areas?

Attachments

• DSCN4458_zps20e19294.jpg
    DSCN4458_zps20e19294.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN4452_zps03b95727.jpg
    DSCN4452_zps03b95727.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN4456_zps5bc4e922.jpg
    DSCN4456_zps5bc4e922.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 196
Looks great man... rember thin coats and do small amounts of bondo to no run into it harding be for u use it all.

I have been doin relatively small amounts it looks thicker because the Bondi wasn't applying smoothly but I'll try thinner coats thanks man

i didnt mean thin your coat just the amount you make mix up at a time... so you dont get out to much and it harden befor you can apply it it looks good tho hope to see an update pic soon

Ok guys not much of an update but I have something for the moderators. I found this stuff that I'm using for epoxy putty but it spreads really smoothly and isn't toxic it's Durham rock hard water putty. It's easy to sand and if u add a little more water than neccesary you have yourself some rondo idk how well it'll stick to cardstock itself but may be a good alternative for resin and Bondo hope this helps y'all :)

Chainsaw- Take it from me... You don't want to add bondo on the outside-- If you have to add bondo to the outside, then get about a spoon full of bondo and a drop of harder... mix it and add to the spot that needs it...

*I messed up my first helmet because I added tons of bondo at one time to the outside... It would have taken me weeks to recreate the shape of the helmet...

Epoxy putty, I have that, but haven't tried it.... I'd stick with bondo... just get used to it and practice (take it slow...)

I have a mouse sander and dremel 300- a flex shaft for the dremel is very handy too.

Hope this helps alittle, and don't worry about sanding down through the helmet ( add tape to the outside and add bondo to the inside ) simple and smooth...
so I'd rather sand down then add bondo on the outside if that makes sense...

-I also use a butterknife to mix/put on my bondo...

yes... but try and sand it first then add a spoon full of bondo with a drop of harder... repeat process over and over.... DO NOT ADD A CUP OF BONDO then sand.. lol

Your helmet isn't that bad* the pepping was actually really good, just sand down really good first ( add gray spray paint to help see imperfections )
Then add spoon full of bondo at a time to the *worst spots* try to smooth down with butterknife... then sand ( respray paint gray )

Remember take your time and most of all have fun with it! =D

Looking good so far. Just some tips for when your using bondo, first off bondo cures by heat, so follow the instructions on the can for how much hardener to add, and take note that the colder it is outside, the longer it will take to make the bondo fully cure, and vice versa. Based on the temperature outside, add an amount of hardener that will give you plenty of time to spread the bondo.

Also, when spreading and applying the bond to the helmet, be sure to do so in thin even coats and try not to glob th bondo onto the helmet and let it cure.

Another thing you can try is looking through Cearel Killl3r's thread in the elite forums if you haven't already and take some of tips about using a razor blade to shape rubbery, half cured bondo. This can significantly cut down on the amount of sanding you have to do if you cut the shape of the curing bondo with a blade.

Lastly, when you are spreading the bondo on the helmet and you feel it start to become thicker, stop trying to continue spreading it, because thats how you end up with the bondo clumping if you try to continue.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

ok guys another small update. heres a lil peek at what im workin on :p
DSCN4460_zpsb0077f89.jpg
it seems to be a lil small -_- jk haha. it turned out way too huge XD first thing ive pepped in the wrong size. what should i do with it now...

Attachments

• DSCN4460_zpsb0077f89.jpg
    DSCN4460_zpsb0077f89.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 181
ok guys another small update. heres a lil peek at what im workin on :p
DSCN4460_zpsb0077f89.jpg
it seems to be a lil small -_- jk haha. it turned out way too huge XD first thing ive pepped in the wrong size. what should i do with it now...

In terms of length, size seems okay. Just seems a little bit wide, so just take out a few of those long sections on the side, and re-connect it, and you should have something more accurate, without having to rebuild it.

Attachments

• DSCN4460_zpsb0077f89.jpg
    DSCN4460_zpsb0077f89.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back