Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you're using water based clay, you can make a mold of it, and once you have the mold, you can break apart the original sculpt and retrieve your visor.

If its oil based clay, you won't need to worry about hardening it.

Maybe you have a class in school where you used water based clay to make pots or something. This is not the same type of clay that you will want to use to make armor, not ideally.

What you should use is oil based clay, sulphur free if possible. It is widely available from sculpture supply companies and art stores. The brand Chavant is known as a very good brand of clay. Do a google search on that name, and you should find plenty of suppliers.

If ABSOLUTELY necessary, like if you live in a hole in the ground you could do this with water based clay, but it is really not preferable. It will take more time, and effort to produce results this way...

Kidding

Kidding LoL if only
No I am just ignorant in the ways of armormaking

FORGIVE ME ARMOR GODS
I KNOW NOT MY WAYS

but really you couldn't ?!? :$ops:
I do need a good medium to make my molds with not sure if clay is best is there other alternatives

Jager, try this. Go buy one of those small cylindars of Play-Do. Open up the can, take out the play-do and leave it on the counter to dry. When it's done, look at how cracked it is.

yo guys since you talking bout clay i should tell u guys how much chalvent clay should i guy i was going by the 20 pounds how much could that be??>.>. :headphones:

hahahahaha ahhhh bro chavant is expensive as balls (good news it re-usable) its $184 for 5 lbs of de-aired cm-50

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wtf:
so how much do i need for a helmet mold..................... :wowie:

heheh you use chavant to sculpt ur master model then you create a mold out of..well i prefer silicone (G1-1000) good stuff

If your looking for cheap-ish clay that can be used for moldmaking, try plasticine clay. At the local dollar tree, they sell little packets of four 100gram bars for $1. Might want to check one near you to see if they have any.

You'll need about 30 pounds, and it should be somewhere around $120 for it.

Mold making stuff on the other hand, will be about $60 and plastic will be about $40

Sculpting tools, clean up/safety materials etc. You're looking at around $400 Just a heads up.

Adam said:
You'll need about 30 pounds, and it should be somewhere around $120 for it.

Mold making stuff on the other hand, will be about $60 and plastic will be about $40

Sculpting tools, clean up/safety materials etc. You're looking at around $400 Just a heads up.

But if you got the stuff already then it costs nothing. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back