Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJamin

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Member DIN
S829
Ok - so anyone on Discord will have seen all of this, but I figured it would be good to make a forum post with more details + images.

For quite some time I have loved the Commando helmet from Halo Reach. Something about the helmet has always drawn me in and I've really wanted to make one.

Ask.png

I don't quite trust my ability with pep or foam so I tried to search out buying a casting in the past.

Fast Forward to this August this year and our friendly TurboCharizard hits me up with this message:
Secret.png

He was modeling one as a surprise and let me in on the secret.

Jump forward a few more days and I get another message with a present attached :love:
Present.png

I immediately decided that I needed to print it and make this my second finished helmet
Bad Person.png

This was a fun project to print and even after hundreds of days of printer time I learned some nifty new things. (mainly how to use less supports) After a few days of printer time (and my longest ever single print) I was ready to move on
Slicer.pngPrinting 2.jpgPrinting.jpgRaw Print.jpgScaling.jpg

As I was printing this helmet I decided to further Emulate TurboCharizard and some of his amazing recent paint jobs. I figured that this was not going to be part of a full armor set, so why not go a bit crazy and do something unique. This lead me down the path of looking into some Turbo Dork Color Shift paints.

Paint.jpg

I stopped by my LGS and picked these up (on sale too!)

Since this was also going to be my first finished 3D printed helmet I wanted to push myself and try some new things. Following guidance of numerous others here I went down the path of fiber glassing the inside and even using magnets to attach the neck plate on the back.
Fiberglass.jpgMagnet 2.jpgMagnet 1.jpgMagnet 3.jpg

Now - onto the fun of Primer / Sanding / Filling fun
Sanding.jpgPrimer 1.jpgPrimer 6.jpgPrimer 5.jpgPrimer 2.jpgPrimer 3.jpg

Finally onto actual painting. I also tried something new with the weathering.
Painting 6.jpgPainting 5.jpgPainting 4.jpgPainting 3.jpgPainting 2.jpgFit.jpgBrim.jpgBrim 2.jpg

From there it was on to lights
Lights 3.jpgLights 4.jpgLights 2.jpgLights.jpg

I actually picked up one of those turbo dork paints a while back at my lgs. Did the airbrush take it well?

That looks so good! I love the purple/green color shift, feels very OG Covenant. The paint would be expensive, but a whole suit like that would look mind blowing out in the sun.

That looks so good! I love the purple/green color shift, feels very OG Covenant. The paint would be expensive, but a whole suit like that would look mind blowing out in the sun.
The paint wouldn't be as expensive as you think. I'd guess that I could do an entire suit for less than 60$ in color shift paint. (and I feel like I am spending nearly that much in green spray paint for my MKVI suit...)

I actually picked up one of those turbo dork paints a while back at my lgs. Did the airbrush take it well?
It took a bunch of thinner - but overall it worked well. They have advice on how to thin it and what PSI to use - I'd suggest following that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back