Companion cube WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoxRocks

I recently started a Daft Punk helmet, but decided that I wanted to try to get this thing made first, so here's where I'm at so far:

Right after I built the cube, I started adding craft foam to the outside.
CC1.jpg

Another shot, a little further in:
CC2.jpg

This is my first time working with foam, and it's pretty simple. It could be because this is a cube, and everything is straight(for the most part). Who knows. If I don't get a straight line(w/ the ol' exacto) I walk over to the grinder and carefully fix it. Dremmel tends to not cooperate.

I'm still covering the outside with the craft foam. I've already made a stencil and cut the three pieces to make a corner piece, but still have to put it together. I'll upload a picture later with that.

Random side note: I think I'm only going to be using super glue with foam. I've tried Tacky glue, Gorilla glue, and Elmer's and nothing dries fast enough. My Loctite super glue gel works fantastic when I have it.

This looks pretty sweet. I absolutely love Portal... I'm gonna have to try makin' one of these things for myself one day... Best of luck to you, and it looks like you have a pretty decent start already.

Lol. I just finished playing Portal. Looks good so far!

This looks pretty sweet. I absolutely love Portal... I'm gonna have to try makin' one of these things for myself one day... Best of luck to you, and it looks like you have a pretty decent start already.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get this thing finished.

UPDATE: I looked at a few reference pictures and came up with this:

CC3.jpg

The angles aren't exactly perfect, but we can just say that it's all a bit of damage from the incinerator.

On the cube:

CC4.jpg

On the top of the cube in the last picture is a circle that is the diameter I might use. I'm not sure if I want to go a bit bigger or leave it. Any input would be appreciated.

That wraps up today's work. More updates tomorrow hopefully!

Double post, but I don't really have any other option >.>

I started scoring the foam to cut pieces for the corners:

CC5.jpg

14 down, 7 more to go:

CC6.jpg

I should have more updates later today, but would rather not triple post... So post and let me know what I'm forgetting/could do better, etc please =D

Sorry for the quality of the pictures by the way...I can't find our digital camera anywhere so I've been using my Nintendo DS and uploading from there.

Favorite toy for this project:

grinder.jpg

Up close of a piece after one trip to the grinder:

CC7.jpg

All the pieces after sanding:

CC8.jpg

I'm going to be leaving for a bit to play some disc golf so that I can do something else outside other than cut/grind/sand foam :D

I'll continue gluing/grinding/sanding later tonight.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Ok, after a bit more work this is where I'm at:

First, I trimmed all the corner pieces....it took a lil bit.
CC9.jpg

Test of one color:
CC10.jpg

I plan on painting before I glue the corners on permanently, but here's what it looks like at the moment:
CC11.jpg

Size comparison:
CC12.jpg

Sorry again about the quality...Nintendo Ds can only do so much, and I still can't find our camera.

Did quite a bit of yard work today, but I got a little bit done. I cut out the center circle pieces, but still need to sand them into shape.

A couple pics from today:

CC13.jpg

Painting the cube.

CC14.jpg

Finished the corner pieces. I noticed that there were some slight holes, so I filled them in with some drywall compound. Very easy to use for a filler, and took maybe 20 minutes to sand all of them down.

Thanks for all the comments as well!

Looks so boss! Is it a Portal 1 or 2 cube? Cant wait to see it finished

I guess both technically. I don't want to spoil anything from Portal 2 for those that haven't beat it.

Also, I finally decided on the size for the circles in the middle. They're ready for painting currently, but I have no pictures at the moment. Progress has slowed down a bit due to Minecraft. I don't know how I never knew about this game. It's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back