Completely New to Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPooky

Name: Mr Pooky
Profession: I work at a local pharmacy
Favorite Hobbies: Playing MTG, D&D, League of Legends, and other video games.
Favorite Part About Halo: I was loving the story for a long time, but am now turning away from it (I just didn't like Halo 4's campaign at all)
Other interests: I enjoy playing music through voice, guitar, clarinet, bass clarinet, or saxophone.
Favorite Food: Food.

Hi I'm new to the whole realm of cosplay and was wanting to get into it with a friend of mine. We both have no clue what we're doing but I found pepakura online and thought it looked really fun to try out. The only issue is that I have no clue how to do any of it. The only thing I've accomplished is downloading pepakura designer,but other than that I'm lost. I don't where to begin as a new cosplayer. Any tips or advice would be a huge help and the answers to a few questions. Question 1: What is the simplest armor for a newbie to make? Question 2: are there any video resources you guys could share that goes in depth in the process of making armor, step by step? Question 3: Any of you guys and gals from Oklahoma?

If you could answer any of these or give out anything else that I might need would be great.

Hey, I'm also new to this place, and in the same spot as you but I'm eager to start as well, and btw I'm also from Oklahoma, in the Lawton area

Here's a great guide to start with. I didn't see it when I first joined.

Question1) I think it would probably be foam. Less resources needed compared to fiberglass resin. This is completely personal opinion based on my experience with fiberglass resin. Fiberglass resin requires a lot of space, safety equipment and its messy. My next build will be foam instead of fiberglass resin, thats for sure.
Question 2) YOUTUBE! just search for what you're looking for. Type in things like "how to shape and cut foam" and you'll get lots of videos. Even something as simple as "how to make halo armor" will give you many results.
I personally searched for build threads on these forums for ideas. There's tons of great builds, finished and unfinished that can give you an idea to use on your own suit.

We both have no clue what we're doing but I found pepakura online and thought it looked really fun to try out. The only issue is that I have no clue how to do any of it.

You must do your own research. Research research, research. It's always easily the most important part, and whenever you're about to start something you know nothing about, you have to research in order to achieve any sort of positive result.
My frustration comes from the fact you've posted such a general question on a forum that is filled with countless threads on tutorials and general aid.

As everyone has been saying here check out the stickies. Also there are countless tutorials out there that will provide more than enough info on where to begin and how to build your armor.

Oh hey that's awesome! I'm from basically OKC (Choctaw to be more specific, but I would say OKC is the closest recognizable place to me). Maybe we'll see each other in the future! At a con or something, or just to show off our armor (when we get there lol).

Ok I appreciate it! But what I was meaning about the simplest armor I was actually referring to the style of armor not the material (ex. Hazop, EOD, CQB, etc.). But about the foam thing, is that still pepakura? And then you just put the foam where you'd put the resin? Thanks so much :D

- - - Updated - - -

You must do your own research. Research research, research. It's always easily the most important part, and whenever you're about to start something you know nothing about, you have to research in order to achieve any sort of positive result.
My frustration comes from the fact you've posted such a general question on a forum that is filled with countless threads on tutorials and general aid.

Chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back