New to…Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoober56

Hello, as the title says im new, i’ve been a fan of halo since CE came out, and finally decided to try to join the 405th when my gaming buddy passed away. He always wanted to cosplay his halo Reach spartan, and so now i want to do the same. However i dont have a 3D printer yet, or any knowledge of how it works, and while my final goal of 3D printing is obviously a full spartan suit of my Friends reach Spartan, first i want to start off small, maybe the magnum pistol or ODST helmet? Im not really sure exactly where to start, i’m hoping you guys could give me answers!

Hello and welcome to 405th. I'm sorry about your friend.
As for building - you said you want to 3d print the whole armor but don't have a 3d printer? Are you planning on buying one?

I do plan on buying one at some point either next week or the week after, but i wanted to begin planning and getting tips now instead of wasting time after i get the thing. I should also say that the full Suit is going to be a bigger project once i know what im doing, for now, i want to test with small props or helmets before going for the whole thing

I don't have much experience with 3d printers as I don't own one but you definitely want to start with printing some smaller stuff in order to calibrate your printer correctly so it'll print you with best quality.
Lots of others here are 3d printing so I hope soon you'll get some suggestions and help in this area.

3d printing is greatso long as you take the time to learn your machine and are prepared to be extremely frustrated at times.... though after printing for years now, I would never go back. I personally use a pair of Ender 5 plus's, because of their large build volume, but that means they are very hard to dial in and they often have more issues to contend with. There are a ton of 3d models you can find to print basically every weapon from the games. I'm actually working on modeling a few of the guns missing here in our archive, but I would definitely say that 3d printers are a cosplayer's best friend (and your wallet's worst enemy).

I do plan on buying one at some point either next week or the week after, but i wanted to begin planning and getting tips now instead of wasting time after i get the thing. I should also say that the full Suit is going to be a bigger project once i know what im doing, for now, i want to test with small props or helmets before going for the whole thing
I'd recommend starting smallish, I've printed a full suit on an ender 3 pro (200mm x 200mm x 220mm) I got for like 180$ and now that I've got a CR10 S5 (500x500x500) pretty much everything from extruder gear and nozzle replacement to print quality issues translates from a smaller printer to a large one.

I am also starting to do a few tutorials and videos for some basic 3d printer things and some prop finishing tutorials, so if you ever have any questions feel free to ask.

I hope you have a great time working on your builds and welcome to the 405th!

Hello, as the title says im new, i’ve been a fan of halo since CE came out, and finally decided to try to join the 405th when my gaming buddy passed away. He always wanted to cosplay his halo Reach spartan, and so now i want to do the same. However i dont have a 3D printer yet, or any knowledge of how it works, and while my final goal of 3D printing is obviously a full spartan suit of my Friends reach Spartan, first i want to start off small, maybe the magnum pistol or ODST helmet? Im not really sure exactly where to start, i’m hoping you guys could give me answers!
Print the helmet! then you'll know if you wanna commit to the rest of the armor, and worst case scenario you'll have a cool decoration piece.
also odst helmets are a lot easier to sand then a weapon i'm betting

Sorry for your loss and I hope you see this project through and it brings you joy. Personally I’m doing an ODST trooper and decided to start with the helmet. I find it easier to stay motivated and on task if you’re working on a part that makes you happy. My wife has yet to catch me sneaking through the house in basket ball shorts and this printed helmet! I could suggest you getting an Ender 3 pro or just the Ender 3. It’s a good entry level printer. If you’re going that route DM me and I can help you with a good set of armor files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back