Comuter Systems For Master Chief Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ SupermanExtreme1: A totally random post, but interesting. :p

@ Awesomeness: Granted, i f***ed up about the cameras. But seeing as though this is indeed the real world, im going to give you a real answer; the post you did just before SupermanExtreme1 was good, solid information, but the one after, im afraid, was utter crap. Don't take that offensively, but that particular post was a prime example of constructive criticism and trolling mixed into one, which no matter how informative it may be, the end point persuades people to see it as a crummy looking post. Now i don't know you personally (clearly) or know what you are like at your place of work, but nobody likes nay' saying. And seeing as i am the moderator for this particular topic, i would appreciate proper posts. To clear up that post:

1. "I think you're in over your head, technology-wise. I suggest you to do some more research online. This stuff is no joke, and to even start down the paths your talking about, you're getting ready to invest a lot of time and money to pull off any SINGLE part of it." This is not anyone's problem but my own, if i choose to spend/waste time and money on this, then so be it. This stuff would be considered "...no joke" had i a deadline or this project was for an important company, fact is, it isn't as hard as you seem to be making it sound, but then again, it's not going to be super easy. Impossible? no.

2. "When I say "target identification", I'm talking about simple stuff, like picking out something moving in the camera's view. You're not really going to be able to reach the level of telling friend/foe apart, period. And there is NO existing software or scripts out there for you to use. If you want your cameras to even be able to identify a moving target, and draw a box around it, you're talking about several hundred hours of programming." Again, you've missed what i've said. I did say that i don't think i'll be able to accomplish anything like friend/foe ID and what not, but you can't say i'll NEVER reach that, i may have a stroke of luck. But the chances are quite slim indeed. There aren't any scripts out there, you are correct, but i said i was going to find various scripts and manipulate them, do you understand this?

@ DreamHazard: I won't respond to the first part of your post, because that is clearly between you and Awesomeness. I know you aren't unconditionally praising me, you are indeed encouraging, which i appreciate.

Onto your post; perhaps you are right about the GPS system, it may be easier (and better) to have it on the inside of the helmet, which would free up my arm for other things. The micro projectors i have seen actually have memory on them, so i can load stuff on via USB and them project it to the outside world.

The HUD from halo 3 could be recreated, and i could integrate some of my analogue system into it as well.

As for any other posts here, NO FLAMING, NO FIGHTING, and NO f***ING AROUND WHATSOEVER. Or i will report you. And that isn't a threat just by the way. I mean it.

So if you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't f***ing say anything at all.

Also, DreamHazard, i haven not recieved any Wave invites yet, just to remind you.

Cheers! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking into creating a GUI for you now, first I'm going to recreate it in Photoshop, then find a way of integrating it into a program. Just as an experiment, if you decide not to use it, I'll probably use it for something else.

As to the programming language (whether you're interested or not, lol, someone will be), I think the best route to follow is C++, as the programs can be compiled directly to run from the OS. Basically, a lot of other languages, useful as they are, run off a platform. I was thinking of using Perl, this would probably be the fastest language to code in, but it runs off another program, which means the code is delayed slightly as the platform interprets it. On the upside, it would make the program cross-platform, but C++ programs can be compiled on Windows anyway,

I sent you the Wave invite last night, it had a notice on the page saying it may take a while for the invite to get there (not sure why, the notice said "we have a lot of envelopes to lick"... extracting the urine or what?)

Actually with regards to Friend/Foe distinguishing, the US military does have that technology. Friendly troops are marked with a flashing IR(Infra-red) tags that camera's can pick up, but are "invisible" to the human eye. If we could theorize for a second, assuming you can identify moving targets, you could check a box around the target(essentially a collision box, if we think in terms of 2D games) for a white light on a set interval, and if the identified target has one, its friendly, otherwise its an enemy. Of course all this would be pretty hard to pull off.

I've also put some thought into modding a MK VI suit, but in a different direction then what you've proposed. Regardless, I'll be keeping an eye on the topic.

Good Luck!

-Apoc

Sounds really interesting, but I think it'd take a lot more processing power than we have available for this project. And it'd be the devil to code.

as amazing as that sounds, like a few other members pointed out, i think there may be some issues about doing this. i would think the setup to be a big pain, and the cost for all the needed things to be high. then again im not a tech expert XD. but best of luck if you decide to go forward ^___^

Kevlar,

I've been looking up multiple LiDAR systems (that's whay no response for a while) and it sadly won't work. I need at least a 180 degree field of view and the armor won't lend to that. I do like the idea of the IR system. It is easily canabilized from other systems and can be integrated much easier in the armor. I actually proposed your plan to a group of college friends of mine and we will be having a discussion on the capabilities and needs you have. I will let you know how everything pans out. Hopefully we will come up with something.

just an idea- but if you for some reason feel the need to put a port for an SD chip anywhere, put it on the back of the helmet, like where Cortana is :)

I think the key issues here will be weight, power budget, and information management. Weight will be critical, because you'll have to lug this thing around all day. I would look at making sure that you have the rig set up to transfer the weight to your hips. That's where backpacks ride because your hips and legs can take the load. Power will be a big one, too. The Land Warrior system ran into the same thing. This also ties in with weight. Batteries are heavy. Something to think about. By information management I'm referring to how all the data being processed is relayed to the user. It is easy to present too much data at once, leading to information overload. I think the best uses would be geolocation, communications, and possible enhanced vision (Infrared). A neat trick would be to integrate the geolocation and communication to show the locations of friendlies. Bearing/range information as well as moving map is a useful thing (never get lost at a con again). You might need to come up with some sort of transponder/beacon to give to your buddies, but it should be doable. A technical challenge will also come in the display. Small, light, and focused at infinity to allow you to remain focused on the outside world. There have been several HMD's developed that place the display either above or below the line of vision. This is one way to do it. Another way is to have a see-through HUD, but be prepared for some serious fabrication/design. Just for reference, the helmet with a built in hud for the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System costs $60,000. Just the helmet. How about the helmet mounted reticle from the AH-64 Apache helicopter. It's a see-through monocle that is slaved to IR sensors on the nose of the helicopter. It displays FLIR data as well as flight and weapons cueing data. And you only have to have one display.

@Apocalypse There are several IFF systems in use. The active one you refer to is also complemented by passive ID panels and patches that reflect IR energy.

@ DreamHazard: Yeah, google must be taking the piss alright, and rightly so with a comment like that! hahaha. It should come soon, it still ain't in my inbox (and yes, i know that last bit was redundancy). Well at least your looking into a GUI now, what kind of look are you thinking about??? The best possible route is, and you are right, C++, or if you really wanted to blow people away with awesomeness, you could just learn binary, code....although i think that may be out of reach for all of us :pPerl would jus be too slow for what i want. Im currently pepping a Mark V (Halo 1, not 3 permutation) helmet as a tester, i've looked back over all the posts and i've also decided to make the Mark V suit with elements of the mark VI first, to be my prototype, then move onto VI.

Lot's of work, but i got enough time, even if i do have to bloody network engineering during the week.

@ Apocalypse: True stuff?? I would have though they'd have all this stuff by now. The IR tags (stobes i think) you're talking about remind me of COD modern warfare, and with my simple little IR filter, they'd probs be easily picked up, good call on mentioning that. Short of giving one of those to my buddies, i've also considered tinkering around with RFID. I might have to be a bit more diligent when identifying enemies; consider this:

- A friendly has an ID unit

- An enemy does not

but

- Neither does a civillian, so i'd have t use my own judgement to see the threat at that point.

And if you've got any cool ideas bout the MK VI, then share them if you want.

@ DevilsDontCry: Correct, but the pain is now mine, i just hope i dont fudge up. :eek

@ Anubis4451: Excellent, excellent! Well, not so much about the LiDAR, but if you and your friends are interested enough, then perhaps you can join the Wave project that DreamHazard and I plan to create. But im thinking, what is the easiest way of getting IR filtering, short of doing it myself?

@iSUPERNOOB: I though there might be someone who'd say that. And that's a good thing too. I believe i may have mentioned that same idea somewhere in this topic. It'd be cool too, cuz i could just upload stuff really quickly like that.

@ UNSC_Leatherneck:

Weight: Im planning on using the lighter things in life, like SSD's over HDD's and light, silicon based boards.

Power: This is a problem, i really want this thing to las at least 5 days non stop use, but batteries only last about 5-7 hours or so nowdays. I've though about having a long-lasting battery and connecting to a tripler to increase the voltage output: smaller battery, but in the end, greater output and lenght of use. One thing i considered only just today was getting some small solar panels so i can recharge the batteries on the fly when out in the sun. Good idea? or would it just stuff up?

Information Management: This will require a lot of setting up and coding on my part, i could just use simple databases, but honestly, i feel stumped.

You've posted some really genuine points, if you want to elaborate on any, then feel free. Sorry i can't reply to all of it, but my hands are killing me from too much typing all day.

Cheers! :p

SupermanExtreme1 said:
that is too cool

DESTROY!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB8N9Fo8nW0[/media]

Perfect for Iron man costume lol

what? slow down there. i dont think you can put all this stuff in a helm, or even a suit. My head hurts even beginning to think about what all this stuff is. Something similar to the visr is almost possible, but i have no idea what you have planned for all this stuff.

ya know, i've been here a few months and realized: couldnt the army make some real mjolnir? most of the 12 year old kids here can build fantastic armor, and this guy actually has a plan for installing a computer into his suit. why cant the extremely advanced military make a suit that does at least some of the stuff that chief can do? some super soldiers like that in a war would serve a great advantage.

if your thinking of using solar panels to generate power to your suit so it can last for days i think maybe you have a bit of a problem there... computers tend to overheat when exposed to sun and all that heat under your suit would probably exhaust you as you are inside as well and also generate body heat so basically this sums up to this:

computer heat + body heat + solar panels(which you could do if your under the sun) = total exhaustion which leads to dehydration.

as for ventilation, the MKVI is not that friendly to ventilation as for fiberglassed materials tend to heat up quickly than normal materials...

if you want to have it last for days.. i may suggest you might want to put up a power outlet to your suit.. but that would be very risky due to the fact that you might electrocute yourself... on the other hand laptop batteries may come in handy you just have to have lots of those for backup...

just my thought though.. "safety first"

yeah, that's extremely true. armor is already really hot. and your body heat+computer heat+heat from the sun=tired and miserable you. why do you need this anyway? this is going above and beyond what anyone has done.

KevlarSpartan said:
- A friendly has an ID unit

- An enemy does not

but

- Neither does a civillian, so i'd have t use my own judgement to see the threat at that point.

easy: hostiles are giant, ugly aliens; civilians are not

iSUPERNOOB said:
easy: hostiles are giant, ugly aliens; civilians are not

lol he's referring to real world... not halo, he needs to determine where he's friends at on a con event so he needs RFID to figure out where they are... very funny though.

Aaron said:
what? slow down there. i dont think you can put all this stuff in a helm, or even a suit. My head hurts even beginning to think about what all this stuff is. Something similar to the visr is almost possible, but i have no idea what you have planned for all this stuff.

ya know, i've been here a few months and realized: couldnt the army make some real mjolnir? most of the 12 year old kids here can build fantastic armor, and this guy actually has a plan for installing a computer into his suit. why cant the extremely advanced military make a suit that does at least some of the stuff that chief can do? some super soldiers like that in a war would serve a great advantage.

In a word, cost. Although if we guys on the 405th pull this off, we may end up working for our respective militaries, seeing as we've already done the expensive R&D

Aaron: Pessimism. Simply put, this is being done because it can be.

@raziel1981: The solar panels would be on the surface of the suit, they could be backed with a layer of foil to reflect excess heat back into the panel, rather than into the suit. Also, cooling fans and ventilation. Not sure about Kevlar, but I plan on putting a crap load of cooling fans into my armour. Yummy integrated air con.

@Kevlar: 2 words my friend, Lead Acid. Strap a couple of those bad boys to your hips... They do add weight. Problem. They last 10-15x longer than normal batteries. Advantage. And having them strapped to your hips should make little difference to you because the weight is directly over your feet. You'd barely know it was there. Either there or under your arms.

I'm getting really good at SQL database design, creation and management, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Now I was thinking you could have a wi-fi dongle (or if you're using a netbook or laptop, chances are there's already an integrated card) and an ad-hoc connection to a laptop, so your friends could ftp you new information, which would flag up on your visor for you to view.

I'm thinking the H3 overlay for the feed, and the ODST VISR for the information. This is only a proof of conept, so it doesn't have to end up like that, once the code's in place I can pretty much change the interface on the fly, providing you don't add too many new elements in the newer design.

you might wanna try this for the cooling system on your suit.

8700003209.jpg

btw, read your sig. i suggest you edit your sig because of the "ad" classifieds are only for veteran members... it might get you a warning for that if a mod sees it... ;)

I only design customs, not build them. I don't charge. But good point, I'll re-word it to reflect that, thanks.

Liquid cooling is a very directed method. You'd need contact with the skin or some kind of heat sink inside the suit. This would add a load of weight to the suit, as would the reservoir, and it would take much more power to run the pump.

For anyone reading who doesn't know, those things use a pump to rush cold liquid around a computer system, to direct cooling heat sinks, which you'd put on your processor, GPU, RAM etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back