Comuter Systems For Master Chief Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually better and more reliable than civilian piezoelectric systems

Check here as they can also be used to recharge cell phones, laptops, etc. anything with a lithium battery system

Link #1

By placing the crank with a reciprocating gear in the heel of a boot and insole, aside the knees and or hips, the gear will act as a wiper motor gear and continuously turn offering better power as all add up. Even the simple act of tapping ones foot or shifting weight from leg to leg will provide a boost to the system direct to rechargable systems without any need for extra batteries at the back, waist or belt.

Steampunk solutions for the Quantum world.

WARlock said:
Actually better and more reliable than civilian piezoelectric systems

Check here as they can also be used to recharge cell phones, laptops, etc. anything with a lithium battery system

Link #1

By placing the crank with a reciprocating gear in the heel of a boot and insole, aside the knees and or hips, the gear will act as a wiper motor gear and continuously turn offering better power as all add up. Even the simple act of tapping ones foot or shifting weight from leg to leg will provide a boost to the system direct to rechargable systems without any need for extra batteries at the back, waist or belt.

Steampunk solutions for the Quantum world.

What he said^^

For a second when I first read it I thought he meant the "w@nking torch
800px-Shaking_Torch.jpg

" or inductance charged flashlight (some people call them w@nking torches in the UK because a torch is a flashlight and those ones look like you're jacking off when you charge them), but it's more like a wind-up system. I actually have one of those in the barn, I may have a play with it to see if I can get it to power a charge circuit powerful enough to run a light off for an extended period.

@Kevlar: I can't wait to get started properly on this system, I've been waiting for a long time to get my hands dirty with a decent system like this, I just never thought it'd be on something quite so interesting :)

If you'd be so good as to email me or PM me once you have the Wave project set up, then we can really start talking spec. I have a few ideas to discuss once the project's actually underway, I think you're going to like them.

WARlock: I'm not too sure about the Wiimote thing, but DAMN! That headset is fiiiiiiiine! :) I'm really digging that

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition, by using the Wii-mote, it uses a IR recognition circuit. Thus you put an IR laser sight on a weapon and it will appear in the camera mounted to the HUD but not to the naked eye. (Imagine, a sniper laser designator that does not show up on instruments that would normally expect it or the MkI eyeball). Next by using IR eye movement mapping and integrated servo usage (remember the printer servos?) and an Arduino circuit board you can have the camera track the IR signal which is far less processor intensive.

Apologies ahead of time but the easily offended should read no further...

I completely reread this entire thread and I have one major point to address. I'm military like many here. I still do my time and have seen many things along the way. Saying that the military can create and the civilians can only dream is complete hogwash. The Raytheon-Sarcos Exo-skeleton design is complete crap and a result of good press not good design. It is driven by 32 1"x1/4"x6" titanium actuators pushing 500PSI per using 20+ different actuator boards and 64 valve servo interfaces. The unit has a total lifting capacity of 212lbs. It anticipates movement to help with capacities but it cannot augmentspeed, reflexes, or even attain enough armor to help the occupant. This 'Real Iron Man' failed DARPA trials because it could not run for the expected 24 hours, had no internal power supply (tethered) and actually hindered the wearer into losing 12% of reflex, 34% of punching power, and 47% of kicking ability with no less than a 60% loss of total pilot flexibility. Great for the Quartermaster, bad for the battlefield.

And yet... almost every year, the Robogames conference and the Tetsujin competition regularly shows similar designs, with internal energy supplies, twice the lifting ability and direct to the task at hand for a price tag around $30,000. And the end of this year may prove a surprise for many people on that front.

I know that the debate about powered armor is a unmentioned no-no around here and I know why. Safety first and creating a servo/hydraulic/pneumatic Mjolnir Suit is reckless and pointless. The only reason the Mjolnir armor works in the Halo Universe is because the SPARTAN is a bioengineered individual. Capable of greater speed, reflex and endurance that the suit can enhance. To try to do that to a human being as designed in the Mjolnir, Iron Man designs would result in a fast movement or run breaking bones/vertebrae, ripping ligaments/tendons/cartilage. Even a misguided salute could result in a concussion or decapitation. The point is, enhance the human and you can enhance the armor or redesign the armor to allow this to happen. DARPA hasn't taken that in regard yet and neither has the designs here, no matter how much we might want it to be different. So we do what we can with what we have and try to improve it all to let us all feel closer to these virtual mentors that we live vicariously through.

I know I'm new and I know that maybe this little detour of a rant might be wrong but I see the posts and read the comments and what people take for granted and I have a problem. I mean, getting three engineers to agree on something is the same as trying to get three religious leaders to agree on the same book of theology.

Invention and innovation happen because someone said what if. So you create 1000 failed light bulbs, its the working one that counts. So a helmet has a few doodads and gizmos. Maybe not one single soul will notice outside that armor. No worries. I've found that the majority of the time accomplishment is like pissing in black pants... nobody notices but at least you got a warm feeling for a while.

^^Steps off soapbox^^

Have you looked into the possibility of using an IR laser? I'm still failing to see the attraction of having a tracking device (at least for this application, if you were to make a sniper auto-turret where you just have to paint the target with an invisible laser, that'd be awesome).

As to the massive rant, way off topic, but interesting nonetheless. I don't like the comparison between this thread and power armour, that's not what's planned for this project. Although you do make good points. I like what you said about the powered armour developed by the military. Have you read about MKI and MKII MJOLNIR variants? They're used in warehouses because of the tether. Possibly an interesting analogue to our own world? Maybe in the not-too-distant future we'll have something like the UNSC developed. But we need to remember they used augmented kidnapped children and replaced them with flash-clones, both highly immoral and illegal practises. If that's what it would take it's not worth it.

As to the last section there, good call. We don't make armour because we have to, we do it because we want to. We make it better, lighter, stronger, more detailed. Someone will always have a better idea to improve the armour. "What if we can extract the 3d models from the game, and manipulate them in the real world?" That's why almost every 405th member uses Pepakura. "What if we add resin to bodyfiller and use that instead of pure filler?" The birth of mud/rondo. Now we have "I want a computer in my suit", and it's a big project. One that is going to pay off, sooner or later. I have a feeling it'll be sooner.

WARlock said:
In addition, by using the Wii-mote, it uses a IR recognition circuit. Thus you put an IR laser sight on a weapon and it will appear in the camera mounted to the HUD but not to the naked eye. (Imagine, a sniper laser designator that does not show up on instruments that would normally expect it or the MkI eyeball). Next by using IR eye movement mapping and integrated servo usage (remember the printer servos?) and an Arduino circuit board you can have the camera track the IR signal which is far less processor intensive.

Apologies ahead of time but the easily offended should read no further...

snips off major rant

hmmm, i agree more on you there for safety purposes... but i think you are addressing to another thread here, saying he wants to build a mechanized MJOLNIR suit. here

this thread is totally different and just want to add computer and what not on an MKVI suit..

DevilsDontCry said:
@KevlarSpartan im sure it'll turn out well though

Im sure it will! :p

AND ATTENTION PLEASE!!!!

I won't be posting anymore on this topic. Reason: I am using google Wave (in collaboration with DreamHazard). I am using it because this seems to be quite a popular topic, so by using wave then everyone will be able to contribute more easily and ideas can be better shared, we can also keep out any people who want to ruin this topic, and by the way, i wasn't talking bout anyone here, just so i dont get backlash, but for anyone who MAY come in (in) the future. Either DreamHazard or I will invite you if you want to join the project on Wave, just PM me or DreamHazard and we will invite you!

Cheers all, and thanks for making this topic 7 pages long!

:p

I meant no offense to anyone and any possible reflection on anyone is unintended , unintentional, and not my desire.

Yes that other thread bothered me. I stress the safety issue because I've seen a few things over the years and the injuries have been horrendous and avoidable. Not the point of this thread though. I apologize for implying a connection.

If you guys need a hand, ask, if you don't ask, no foul. I wish you the best because your approach and drive ring a chord with me and my efforts.

Good luck and godspeed.

Excellent contribution! At the moment we're concentrating more on the soft side of things, but hardware considerations will always come into play when designing the software =D

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back