Coreforges MKVI Gen2 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreforge

So I have been reading on the forums and making my own build for some time now and decided to start my own Thread. I started this build about a year ago and so far have made the helmet, the chestpiece, shins and thights. Helmet is fiberglass and the rest is foam, although I may 3d print some small detailed parts. I'm also planning on adding a HUD to the Helmet and it kinda works so far with my phone as a display. I might replace it with a 5.5" display and a raspberry pi, but I will see how it goes. So anyway, here are some pics:
shins.png

The shins have to be painted and sealed

thights.jpg

Same for the thights
chest.jpg

Front view

chest2.jpg

and back view of the chest piece

thrusters.jpg

and the thrusters. I still have to attach these.

helmet.jpg

Here's the (way oversized) Helmet

DSC_0229.JPG

and a detailed view of how the HUD is gonna work. It does work, but I have to add optics so you don't have to focus onto a screen 10cm away. Also, sorry for the bad image quality, my phone camera sucks.

Update!

I made one of the forearms and started with the gloves. I will be making most of the glove out of thin eva foam and the fingers most likely out of fabric. I also have to figure out how to hold the gloves closed. I was thinking about some kind of elastic behind the seam and some magnets to close it up completely. I'd like to hear if anyone has other ideas though.
arm.JPG

The new drivers arrived(TMC2209), but I seem to be loosing steps on the axis(X and Y) that I'm using them on. I tried them in both stealthchop and spreadcycle mode, but the issue remains in both. I also tried raising the motor current and lowering the acceleration, but I'm still losing some steps, although the layer shift isn't as noticable as before. I had no issues with lost steps at these and higher speeds with the A4988 drivers, but those were too noisy. If anyone has any advice about the lost steps issue, any help would be appreciated.

I printed one shoulder and started sanding it. For the bicep piece, I got around the step loss issue by homing the printer after each layer, and for the floaty bit I found that the issue was the drivers overheating, so I placed a second fan over them, which helped, but didn't eliminate the issue. Since I also have quite some Z-wobble, I had to sand quite a bit and fill some places in, but I have an idea of how to solve that issue. Anyways, here is the current state of the shoulder piece:
1579377029532.jpeg

I'm planning on starting to paint soon, but I'm unsure what paint to use. Many people recommend Plastidip for foam, but I haven't seen that anywhere in Germany. I've also read that latex paint should be good and I can get 2.5l for about 20€, so pretty cheap. The remaining questions would be how to apply it and what kind of pigment to use. I've read that it would be best to apply it with some kind of airbrush, but I don't yet have a compressor, so I can't do that right now (I'm planning to get one soon though.) I was planning on just brushing it on, as that should also give me a relativly even surface if it isn't to viscous. I'm not sure about pigments though. Black is easy, as I can just crush up some charcoal, which should give me a nice black. I'm not sure about the greens though. The paint I used for the helmet is RAL6002 (leaf green), which is a little more green than it should be. I checked with the texture, and that comes out to RAL6003 (olive green). The secondary green comes out to RAL6006 (gray olive). I might repaint the helmet though, as I reworked some parts, so it would have to be repainted in some places anyway, and I could match up the colors that way. I'm not sure where to source the pigments from though. The hardwarestore has some pigments, though they are usually used for lighter colors, as they usually get used for wall paint. I do have an art store near though, and they have some pigments for about 5-10€ for 250g. If anyone has some recommendations for pigments, I'd greatly appreciate it. I could also get the paint premixed, but I don't know what their minimum quantity is.

I'm planning on starting to paint soon, but I'm unsure what paint to use. Many people recommend Plastidip for foam, but I haven't seen that anywhere in Germany. I've also read that latex paint should be good and I can get 2.5l for about 20€, so pretty cheap. The remaining questions would be how to apply it and what kind of pigment to use. I've read that it would be best to apply it with some kind of airbrush, but I don't yet have a compressor, so I can't do that right now (I'm planning to get one soon though.) I was planning on just brushing it on, as that should also give me a relativly even surface if it isn't to viscous. I'm not sure about pigments though. Black is easy, as I can just crush up some charcoal, which should give me a nice black. I'm not sure about the greens though. The paint I used for the helmet is RAL6002 (leaf green), which is a little more green than it should be. I checked with the texture, and that comes out to RAL6003 (olive green). The secondary green comes out to RAL6006 (gray olive). I might repaint the helmet though, as I reworked some parts, so it would have to be repainted in some places anyway, and I could match up the colors that way. I'm not sure where to source the pigments from though. The hardwarestore has some pigments, though they are usually used for lighter colors, as they usually get used for wall paint. I do have an art store near though, and they have some pigments for about 5-10€ for 250g. If anyone has some recommendations for pigments, I'd greatly appreciate it. I could also get the paint premixed, but I don't know what their minimum quantity is.
Latex paints work really well, but I dont know how well they would work over plasti dip. I assume just fine. Other alternatives can be acrylics and regular ol spraypaint which works just fine. I am pretty sure the Germany equivalent of plastidip is gummidip which is the same thing, just a different name.

Thanks. I haven't seen gummidip either, but that could just be because I haven't been looking for it or because the hardware store near me doesn't carry it. I'd like to avoid regular spraypaint as it isn't very flexible and would probably crack on foam. I'll look around for acrylic paint to see what I can find. I might also just get ove shade of green mixed up and mix in a little bit of charcoal to get a darker shade aswell.

Small update: I haven't done a lot lately, but I built the second forearm and reinforced the shoulder things on them, since they seemed kinda flimsy to me. I had to solder the metal together since it is to thin to weld with a stick welder. I'd like to upgrade to a tig, but that has to wait for now.
gauntlets.JPG

I'm not 100% sure about the cod piece. I don't really like the halo 5 one since it doesn't really exist, so I'd like to use the halo 5 mkvi one. From looking at it in the game assets, it looks fine. I'm not sure however if I should just use it the way it is or combine it with the original buttplate. Both would work, but the original one is a little bit higher than the mkvi one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back