Cosplay: Empowering Lives Through Fictional Attire

BaronArden

Jr Member
I recently wrote this article for a local not-for-profit (autism society). I wanted to share it with all of you as well.

"Cosplay, an abbreviation for 'costume play,' refers to the phenomenon of individuals decking themselves out in the attire of their favorite fictional characters from games, movies, comics, or anime. Interestingly, this immersive experience offers participants much more than a fantastic photo op for Instagram. Delving into the surreal world of characters like those in Halo, the award-winning military science fiction video game, can bring unexpected, substantial benefits to an individual and, in the broader perspective, non-profit groups and organizations.

Just as how the gameplay in Halo advances beyond 'point-and-shoot' through strategic approaches and teamwork, cosplay propels beyond simple costuming towards individual development. At its heart, cosplay celebrates uniqueness and creativity, empowering enthusiasts to express their identity. It grants an escapism route where individuals can don fictional armor to combat real-life adversities, particularly those dealing with social, economic, or mental challenges.

Donning the Spartan super-soldier costume, a mainstay of Halo, has a profound psychological effect. For once, instead of facing constant criticism for individual quirks, the player steps into the world where these attributes become strengths. One becomes Master Chief, a renowned warrior-hero saving the galaxy, building resilience and confidence in facing life battles.

Nonetheless, our Master Chief doesn't stop at offering individual psychological benefits. Through his dazzling appearance and heroic aura, he draws crowd attention, serving as a brilliant asset for non-profit organizations. Fundraisers and awareness campaigns find it hard to compete for attention in an oversaturated world of causes. But suddenly, the possibility of witnessing a formidable figure from Halo walking down the streets, participating in events, and standing for a cause acts as a catalyst, instantly pulling people in. Indeed, not every day do we get saved from an alien invasion or an NGO fundraiser by a sci-fi soldier!

Halo's universe, in a comedic twist, becomes the connecting thread between fans, stirring camaraderie in unlikely places. Awkward silences during initial conversations evaporate as soon as they discuss the nuances of a particular Halo game series or admire each other's armors. Bonds formed in the name of Halo and through cosplay spill into real life, transforming from virtual teammates to actual friends.

Further, this jovial space promotes acceptance and diversity, portraying every Master Chief as an equal regardless of their social, economic, or personal circumstances. Essentially, it has a certain halo-effect, creating an inclusive environment that illuminates love for fandom over socio-economic divides.

Evidently, this form of innovative 'costume therapy' acts as a healing and empowering method, endorsing creativity, acceptance, individuality, and, of course, impeccable combat strategies against alien invasions. Alongside individual gains, it emerges as an entertaining yet impactful tool for non-profit groups to raise awareness, bring the community together, and generate resources. However, let’s be honest; above all, it gifts an unadulterated joy to humans - a secret Halo universe, just a cosplay away.

In conclusion, as bizarre as it may sound to non-geeks, dressing up as Halo characters can be genuinely life-enhancing. After all, as we all try to find our identity, wouldn't it be delightful if the quest led us to be Spartan super-soldiers - tackling real issues one plasma grenade at a time?

And with this, it’s time to trade our ballpoint pens for energy swords, take cosplay seriously, and courageously move forward with a 'Halo' of positivity around us!"

Written by Forrest Arden; an ASO Volunteer and avid Con/Gamer for over 20 years. If you are interested in reaching out to him, find him at our local monthly cosplay club as well as local cons around the Pacific NorthWest.

It helps with my PTSD it is hard to be in a room full of people and still be alone. But I don't have that when I go to the cons with my 405th family. And I mean it you are all my second family love ya all!
I use my master chief and visit sick kids and even married a couple, they were married in the court House so I did not have to be ordained. And sure you are right the smiles from kids and adults just make the day worth while.
Great write up and we thank you for sharing with us. Welcome to the family

Last edited:
I had wanted to give cosplay a try long before I started. It always seemed cool to me, despite the fact I don't dress up for Halloween (bad memories there). And so when my life circumstances shifted (stable employment/income/days off) it made sense to give it a try. Also around this time I was dealing with the loss of a friendship. (Someone I'd been friends with for a long time and then ended up cutting out of my life due to issues we had.) I didn't realise the community I'd end up becoming a part of. Though I can't say I've made any new friends yet, I feel confident that it's not an if... only a when.
Though the last few years I've very much shifted from introvert to now always been easy to fit in and talk to others. I still like having the armor (not Halo, but still an armor) not as a way to shield myself off but to open myself up and let others see it's ok to approach me.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back