Costume Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if my HUD thing would count as special effects, or is that for external lights and stuff? Cause I can't necessarily 'show' an audience my HUD.

You need a camera inside your helmet showing what you see through the visor.
Dang, that would only be possible with the HUD_b, and that's not going to be near ready in time. Ah well, thanks for the quick response. I'll kill it next year.

Does anyone know if my HUD thing would count as special effects, or is that for external lights and stuff? Cause I can't necessarily 'show' an audience my HUD.
Description from the website:
  • Category focused on costumes primarily featuring special effects achieved through lighting, electronic programming, prosthetic/special effects makeup, and other techniques
No camera is necessary? :lol:

The guy that won fx at Orlando was wearing a marine suit with no lights or anything, but he had a functional spartan laser that shoots, has lasers, rumbles and charges, and lowers/raises the head. I say you should do it. Just cram a few more things in there and focus on the display!

• Category focused on costumes primarily featuring special effects achieved through lighting, electronic programming, prosthetic/special effects makeup, and other techniques

The guy that won fx at Orlando was wearing a marine suit with no lights or anything, but he had a functional spartan laser that shoots, has lasers, rumbles and charges, and lowers/raises the head. I say you should do it. Just cram a few more things in there and focus on the display!
The problem is though that I don't have a way to show off what it's doing, it would be me just saying the things it can do, since it's designed as an experience for the wearer not the audience.

I just realized it might be fun to bring my HUD_b (the in-visor one) to HOD Chicago. While it's not ready for helmet deployment, it might be a neat toy for while I'm working the info booth.

Update: Oops, I think I just designed a HUD_c and d in my head. UGH! Guess I know what I'm doing after work. I will make the HUD work, and I will make it accessible gosh darnit. I think I figured out how to avoid needing to build a helmet around the HUD's size.

Update 2: I think I also found a way to deploy a HUD into other congoer's suits on the fly... as well as have mine ready in time for HOD. Don't tell midwest though, I don't want to get hopes up if I can't deliver. Tonight's gonna be crazy.

Unfortunately what I was thinking of doesn't look like it's going to work, as far as finally finding a way to deploy the new HUD versions. Dang.

Last edited:
Guys, while I appreciate people trying to be helpful here, the only true answer to what qualifies for each category comes from the organizers, not from members here. We can all only guess at specifics. If you need an answer prior to going, I'd reach out to HOD.

Guys, while I appreciate people trying to be helpful here, the only true answer to what qualifies for each category comes from the organizers, not from members here. We can all only guess at specifics. If you need an answer prior to going, I'd reach out to HOD.
I thought we'd know something since we pick some of the judges, but I'll reach out to them if I need to then. Thanks FANGS.

Just for clarity, if I'm participate in the Chicago contest, and all my volunteering shifts are done before 2pm, I should be fine to participate correct? I saw the pre-times once but I can't seem to find them again, and I only need to participated on Saturday right?

Fangs is right, if we need answers we should contact the event. But, it is worth pointing out the majority of the judging of most cosplay contests happen one on one with the judges before the show which will give you a chance to highlight things that may not translate on stage. The show then gives you a chance bring your character to life which might sway the judges in your favor. (This is just speaking to cosplay contests in general)

RandomRanger the pre judging times are a very "day of" kind of announcement. I wouldn't worry about it. Once you find out your time and if it conflicts with your shift then just find your POC to get someone to switch with you. It will be okay.

Just for clarity, if I'm participate in the Chicago contest, and all my volunteering shifts are done before 2pm, I should be fine to participate correct? I saw the pre-times once but I can't seem to find them again, and I only need to participated on Saturday right?
Here is how it happened in Orlando, but, there are no guarantees it will unfold exactly the same in Chicago. I would assume in the email traffic you got after signing up for the costume contest there would be some heads up about timing or schedules.

COSTUME CONTEST

90% of the people in costume in Orlando were our members. Therefore most of the contestants in the costume contest were our members as well. The show was scheduled to be in the main panel room and starting at 7:00. After many changes it ended up being on the main stage (which was very cool) and they started it at 6:00. Prejudging happened between 3:30 and 5:30 ish and the prejudging happened in our booth which was fun to watch. When the contest started there was literally no one in the booth but Dakota, Kevin and I (and a bird - long story) for the entirety of the contest pretty much. But you can't leave the booth unmanned so you must have a couple of people willing to miss out on seeing it.

If you are going to be in the contest do not schedule yourself for any shifts in the afternoon. Assume that you're going to have the first 3:30 time slot for prejudging and need to be in your gear for that time. You won't know your prejudge time until during the day on Saturday when we get the list to sign people up for that. If you end up with a later prejudge time you can always do time in a photo op area (which we'll greatly appreciate) while you wait to do your prejudge, but keep in mind that you're going to be in your gear the whole evening so plan accordingly.

Here is how it happened in Orlando, but, there are no guarantees it will unfold exactly the same in Chicago. I would assume in the email traffic you got after signing up for the costume contest there would be some heads up about timing or schedules.

Thanks, this answers my question.

Is there a place to find out who won and participated in Orlando’s costume contest? I haven’t found many pics here or anyone talking about it. I don’t use social media so maybe I’m just missing all the fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back