Crazy ideas for hud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjjmk

Jr Member
okay ive been searching for a while now to find what i can do to incorporate a hud in a helmet. ive seen people paint it in, print it on the visor, and use projectors. i have some ideas: for people with a crapton of money, get a transparent oled or el display. planar has some decent ones. but the reason why im posting this is because i had a GENIUS idea for everone who wants one, because its easy and CHEAP.
here you can find UV reactant paint : http://www.uvgear.co.uk/product/product165.htm
and here you can find UV cathode lights for pcs (however hey can easily be used in a helmet):http://www.moddersmart.com/

so what do you do? make a visor. any type. then paint on carefully the HUD on the inside of the visor. then make a second layer of plastic to go over the UV paint. this will prevent scratches and will provide a surface to put in a lens to change the depth of field to the HUD, so you need not go out of focus to see the HUD.

this idea can easilly be done to accomidate an ai chip. insert cortanas chip, which activates the lighting in the helmet (the UVs) and guess what? you cant see it untill you want to- making it more realistic.

just wanted to tell you guys, because it seems like a cheap, easy way to make a realistic HUD.

as far as the uv paint goes you nvr know unless you try i've got a few ideas of my own but i havn't got the stuff to test it with yet

I've been thinking about playing around an EL Displays for ages now :D the only problem is, I don't know the stuff well enough to even know where to begin as to programming or the hardware to run it with..

Mjjmk said:
and will provide a surface to put in a lens to change the depth of field to the HUD, so you need not go out of focus to see the HUD.

You realize that even if you find a lens that can make this fanciful thing happen, you will no longer be able to see out of the visor, right?

If you want a working in-visor hud, the only way to do it today is augmented reality with a head mounted display.

I have one simple question and 1 simple answer.

Why?

We are building a costume not a realbattle armor.

A UV lamp that shines into your eyes? That doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Besides, no matter how you create the picture, there are still the two major problems: Nobody else will see it, and you yourself won't see it either because it's too close.

You realize that even if you find a lens that can make this fanciful thing happen, you will no longer be able to see out of the visor, right?

just put the leses over each sector of paint, a circle one for the radar, rectangle for the health, and so on.

A UV lamp that shines into your eyes? That doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Besides, no matter how you create the picture, there are still the two major problems: Nobody else will see it, and you yourself won't see it either because it's too close.

well actually, you can get very dim UV leds, and shine them to the visor, and increase the density of the uv reactant, so it shines more, yet doesnt impact your eyes as it would with normal UV lighting. and im actually trying to make it as game specific as i can. and imagine you show your friends and theyll freak when they put it on.

and you yourself won't see it either because it's too close

sorry didnt notice this. go back and read my post about lenses, you can increase the depth of field by using lenses. OH i just got an idea from that, paint the HUD in with red and blue paint, and seperate the images accordingly, it might change the depth so you can see it further away from you, using stereoscopic 3d, making the HUD float! ill have to try this.

sorry didnt notice this. go back and read my post about lenses, you can increase the depth of field by using lenses. OH i just got an idea from that, paint the HUD in with red and blue paint, and seperate the images accordingly, it might change the depth so you can see it further away from you, using stereoscopic 3d, making the HUD float! ill have to try this.

I want to see that in action before I believe it :)

i thought i might add the dangers of using a uv light in your helmet...
I'm definately no doctor but i do know that the light that damages your eyes from powerful lasers or bright torches is actually the Ultra-Violet radiation, soo even if they are just dim enough to display your hud theyre going passively degenerate your vision even if your not focusing on them...

i can see how it would be a nice touch if your friends want to wear your helmet...
just flick on the uv led switches before passing it to them and blow their minds...

yeah, i wont be using the HUD the whole time, but if i do want to use it, i could always get uv protection glasses, since the paint is reactant not reflective, it should still show through the glasses

your idea is great, but it has to be tested, and my biggest fear is that you won't see the environment because the light is blocking your view.
also, what do you mean with that cortana chip? some kind of switch that when you insert it, it relays the battery to the uv lights?

I have been thinking of ways to have a realistic HUD as well and like you said using a transparent OLED display is the only way to get screen that can flex and fit in the helmet, sourcing the screen is the difficult part. I also will be building in a hd video camera to the helmet and thought it would be really cool to have two helmets that you could see each others views. I will do more prototyping once I get more of my armor made and can start messing with electronics. post some pics of the UV idea if you build a prototype, it sounds like a good idea if it works

I've got some ideas as well, this link was posted to another thread about ski goggles that have something like a HUD but they cost a pretty penny. https://www.zealoptics.com/transcend/ it looks like the first step towards a movie/game type HUD. if someone had money laying around they could buy a pair of goggles remove the display and install in their helmet. this website even lets you download the software for free as far as i can tell. so there's that but i've got some other ideas bouncing around in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back