Cults3D working against modellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuts4Accuracy

I made a halo 2 anniverary helmet free to use a while back. As per common sense when the model was uploaded as non commercial; it was to be that the model would not be used to make money.

Someone had then downloaded my model, and uploaded it for $15 on Cults3D with cat ears.

(We have since spoken, and he has since removed his file from ETSY, I believe he was only trying to market the cat-ears but went about it the wrong way.)

I contacted Cults3D support team and received an email back from the co-founder. Here's the strings of emails, aswell as the comparisons THEY SENT ME.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG
Halo visor.png
Top .png
What..PNG

Last edited:
That sucks to hear. It's always so saddening to see when someone has capitalized on others work wrongly. I know it may be of little use in this situation, but have you looked at watermarking your 3D models? This way if you suspect someone has copied yours, you can run it through this website (if the model has been watermarked) and see if it is yours.

Perhaps if you can send them a photo comparing the models with a wiremesh outline on top of the model, you can show that the geometry of the model is the same. And, unlike what they've done, make sure the shading is the same in the two photos. That's an unfair comparison otherwise.

That sucks to hear. It's always so saddening to see when someone has capitalized on others work wrongly. I know it may be of little use in this situation, but have you looked at watermarking your 3D models? This way if you suspect someone has copied yours, you can run it through this website (if the model has been watermarked) and see if it is yours.

Perhaps if you can send them a photo comparing the models with a wiremesh outline on top of the model, you can show that the geometry of the model is the same. And, unlike what they've done, make sure the shading is the same in the two photos. That's an unfair comparison otherwise.

I have already asked the seller to remove the model off his Etsy store and he obliged.

Im not going to purchase their model just to make a wireframe comparison though.

Cult3d has already made it very clear that they're ignoring it on purpose to make money off their share of the models.

an adjustment of lighting does not make a 3d model different. That is the only change between those images is lighting direction and intensity. What garbage.

I actually had almost this exact same thing happen to me. I made a model of a crab, inspired by the music video for Crab Rave, and uploaded it onto thingiverse. Someone on thingiverse messaged me that they found someone else trying to sell my crab model on cults3D. When I checked it, it was my same crab but they added an $11 sign for it to hold (my design was meant to hold a speaker) and renamed it runescape crab.

I messaged the seller and they did not respond so I messaged cults3D. I explained the situation to them and told them that if they didn't remove my model from their site I will have to take legal action against them (a bluff because they wouldn't want to go to court over a crab being sold for $5).

They responded with a similar email to yours. I told them that I will continue to insist that they stole my model and pointed out how they slightly changed it. I also told them how I did try to contact the seller and they did not respond.

About a day later they got back to me and had a change of mind, that it did in fact look like my model and they removed it.

Im not going to purchase their model just to make a wireframe comparison though.
Ah sorry, somehow I interpreted you had a copy of their model as well. Definitely don't buy it from them, but maybe get the Cults "team" to send you the photos again with the wireframe and proper lighting, if you want to hassle them again.
So is the person who is selling the file on Cults also the same person who was selling it on Etsy?

Ah sorry, somehow I interpreted you had a copy of their model as well. Definitely don't buy it from them, but maybe get the Cults "team" to send you the photos again with the wireframe and proper lighting, if you want to hassle them again.
So is the person who is selling the file on Cults also the same person who was selling it on Etsy?

Yes, the cults seller and etsy seller is the same person. My issues with that has now subsided.

But for Cults to blantantly ignore the model being the same especially with what went down a couple weeks ago with them not paying a seller their sales, seems to paint a certain narrative for me.

I stopped talking with them after the last email sent them with the meme.

I think all modelers should hide a cleverly positioned or hidden makers mark so to speak somewhere in a not so readily apparent place like an interior corner or such. I know it is an extra hassle but you have to have some blatantly non-obvious way to protect yourself. Like in a line detail add a series of just slightly raised features that resemble morse code or something.

I think all modelers should hide a cleverly positioned or hidden makers mark so to speak somewhere in a not so readily apparent place like an interior corner or such. I know it is an extra hassle but you have to have some blatantly non-obvious way to protect yourself. Like in a line detail add a series of just slightly raised features that resemble morse code or something.
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that from now on. Stepped in logo or signature. Not enough to feel by fingernail; but enough to be seen in wireframe.

I dont sell or give away any of my models without the thought that someone will take it and resell it and there is nothing I can really do about it. Once the 3D file is out in the wild you lose all control over it. If it something popular I only offer a 3D print of it and not the file itself.

I don't know anything about this stuff but could you comment on the post that's selling it with a link to your free file? At least that could keep the reseller from making money off it.

I don't know anything about this stuff but could you comment on the post that's selling it with a link to your free file? At least that could keep the reseller from making money off it.
It was on etsy; which doesn't allow public comments.

I have however contacted the seller... and received this response; which... I kind of doubt the authenticity of the statement? I mean the model is barely a week old.

1641566282360.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back