Custom armor in the UNSC and it's Allie's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelWolf

I'm planning on making my own custom armor for my Halo project. And that got me thinking, why haven't we seen any models of armor or weapon designs come from the soldiers of the Army of the UNSC or Colonial forces? In our world some of the most effective weapons were designed by soldiers themselves. The Mosin Nagant designed by two men, one being Captain Sergei Mosin. The AK-47 was designed by infantryman Mikhail Kalashnikov. The M16 by Eugene Stoner. Etc. So why have we seen nothing of this sort in the Halo universe, especially after 540 years from our own time. One could say that it's difficult enough to arm a solar system spanning civilization network with technology developed by the more advanced entities like the UEG and ONI. However that doesn't mean that a design concept developed by a non governmental individual wouldn't be considered if it showed potential and was efficient in it's operation. I'd be thinking that such experimentation in firearms and armor designs would be more likely on the Colonies, either those with vast resources or the Outer Colonies, where the threat of outside forces and the hardships they live by would breed a mentality of ingenuity and endurance. I'd like your folks' takes on this topic.

I like your thought process, but have little input on the subject.

I do think the writers of the halo universe should have a good long sit down with a couple veterans and such, though. Bring the halo universe a little closer to that mindset.

SteelWolf, while I agree that after 540 years, advancement in weapons technologies should/could have been a bit more futuristic-like in the HALO universe....when it comes to practicality, material, and our own history, young colonies wouldn't have the resources that would allow them to develop more advanced weaponry regardless of mental stamina, ingenuity or endurance....... Also think about what you just said.....Soldiers developed those weapons....because they know weapons...they've used them, they are familiar w/ the mechanics and operational maintenance.....colonists are/were farmers......craftsmen.....people running from religious persecution..... people running from the law......criminals being sent away......very few soldiers, unless they were retired, were colonists. Those soldiers developing the weapons did so while either in the military or worked in conjunction w/ the military, and had the resources of their military behind them. Colonists were lucky if they had 1 person in 5 with any type of weapon, which were expensive back then.....and said weapon was probably outdated and no longer in production. That is not to say a colony couldn't develop advanced weapons......it would need to be a long standing colony. One that is self sustaining w/ its own resources available and personnel w/ knowledge of weapons and weapon development/advancement. If you get a chance, watch the show "The Expanse". It is a great representation of futuristic colonization and possible oppressive instances from Earth, that prompt military retaliation from colonies on Mars and the Belt.

SteelWolf, while I agree that after 540 years, advancement in weapons technologies should/could have been a bit more futuristic-like in the HALO universe....when it comes to practicality, material, and our own history, young colonies wouldn't have the resources that would allow them to develop more advanced weaponry regardless of mental stamina, ingenuity or endurance....... Also think about what you just said.....Soldiers developed those weapons....because they know weapons...they've used them, they are familiar w/ the mechanics and operational maintenance.....colonists are/were farmers......craftsmen.....people running from religious persecution..... people running from the law......criminals being sent away......very few soldiers, unless they were retired, were colonists. Those soldiers developing the weapons did so while either in the military or worked in conjunction w/ the military, and had the resources of their military behind them. Colonists were lucky if they had 1 person in 5 with any type of weapon, which were expensive back then.....and said weapon was probably outdated and no longer in production. That is not to say a colony couldn't develop advanced weapons......it would need to be a long standing colony. One that is self sustaining w/ its own resources available and personnel w/ knowledge of weapons and weapon development/advancement. If you get a chance, watch the show "The Expanse". It is a great representation of futuristic colonization and possible oppressive instances from Earth, that prompt military retaliation from colonies on Mars and the Belt.
Ive seen part of it. And I did mention Colonies with vast resources before. And as to the quality of weaponry, yes a logistics to resources ratio is a factor in this topic. However there's been weapons developed on the Frontiers of countries, or by criminal and secessionist groups which were then adopted by the very nation's they were enemies of. And alot of the colonies aren't young. At most they're over one hundred years old. That's more than enough time to develop their own weapons(even if only prototypes). For instance look at America between 1790-1890. We started off with only hunting arms for the general man, that came from a far off Colonial Overseer, to being one of the leads in arms manufacturing and exporting. Similar conditions occured in Canada, India and Singapore, Finland, some African nation's or geopolitical entities like the upcoming program to build a unified East Africa. In terms of Halo, the Colonies I think that have the most potential for such experimentation are listed as follows: 1. Sedra. 2. Europa. 3. New Carthage. 4. Forseti. 5. Cascade. 6. Gannick-22. 7. Komoya. 8. Venezia. 9. Gao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back