Custom H3 helm

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingsquirl

DO NOT PM ME - PROFILE DELETED
if you want to contact me, pm the other flying_squirl.
the one with the picture!!!!!

Howdy all. As you can probably guess I’m making a set of armour and to day I had some free time so I've edited a H2 model to look more like the H3 one (cuz I can't find an editable version of the new models (pep ones wont work)). I've taken alot of the detail that you would normally only see with the bump maps in game and actually made it part of the mash thus saving allot of time on major detailing later (some post detailing will still be needed, I wanted a model you can actually build in the first place). I'm feeling kinda generous so I’m guna put up the pep version as soon as I’m done. I was just wondering if that’s ok or will Microsoft/Bungie come a knockin lookin to bust my b*lls?

Hers a pic of my progress so far:

H3_helm.jpg

keep in mind its not finished yet, i was jus checkin before i do.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to say i have no idea about the legality issues but what you've looks really good and i hope it becomes usable.

as long as it isnt an exact replica i think you might be ok. or you could sell your desing on the black market and become a millinaire :p

i got the model over on turbosquid, do a search for halo and loadsa stuff pops up(except the newest ones :cautious: ). i edited it using max8(its not a cracked version, i need it for my job, so im not worried about the legality for that :D ). it'll be usable alright, whether i can stick it up here is another thing.

haha, i just got an image of myself trying to sell a didital model in a dark ally. "ya wanna buy a custom model?"

high five for having legal copies of software (thank god that stuff is tax deductable.. otherwise i'd be out like almost 20 grand for all the various software packages i have)

Care to post some wires of it, or at least without smoothing groups or with a faceted material on it. it'll give a better representation of how well its gonna work in pepakura, how hard it's gonna be to construct, and faceted is pretty much how it'll look once it's constructed.

nice work so far (i plan on just modeling mine from ref images.. that way i know it fits my proportions :) )

hell yea!! *high five* yea, tell me about it, thank god im not paying for most of it(my boss buys most of it)

well, i finished the model, heres a quick render.

H3_helm02-1.jpg

and heres a wire frame to show a preview of the pep.

H3_helm02_wire.jpg

its not gunna be one for the faint hearted but its about as detailed as its gunna get.
i definatly DO NOT recomend this to a pep noob :confused:

(for cgspartan i used v-ray to render the smoothed one and mental-ray with a composite based material for the wire shot).

as you can see ive left out the details of where just indented lines are needed but ive built into the mesh where they should be so it should be no problem to add them in later.

ive already started pepping it and should have it done soon.

hoping to get this done for halo-ween but it might be hard concidering im workin about 10 hrs a day!! luckly i have a realy good and enthusicastic friend who offered to assemble my gun. fortunatly were both traned in model making so i dnt need to worry about her makin a mess of it

I would love a 3ds or pep file of you creation i think it Great! Im allot better at pep than i am with bondo..

yea im the same, hate using filler. ive jus finished the pep now but i wont post it up jus yet, still havta check about the eding their model issue. i think its ok just once i dont ask for money.

haha, thats so weird, i have two profiles and ive managed to activate and sing in using both without noticing. haha/ im guna delete the newer one without the pic, so if you want to pm me do it to the one with the pic.

very nice squirl. Good clean geometry, should work really well with pep :)

yea, this won't be one for the non ocd pep people. because it's gonna have a lot of pieces that are like 1mm wide.

Can't wait to see the end result. (if you're doin it in cardstock i would get the heaviest you can get, cause some of those small folds might cave in on themselves or warp from the weight of the pieces on top of them)

I agree, no point in putting geo in for the indents of the plating of the helmet. you can do that in post via bondo or whatever you want to use, not to mention those would be a bloody nightmare as far as folding goes.

for those of you guys who hate body filler, you could always try a 2 part epoxy putty, like magic sculp that Tapp plastics sells. http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=110&

if i remember right this stuff is sturdy enough to be used for like outdoor sculptures. so it would more than likely be strong enough to be used for something like this. (if anyone has experience otherwise, please correct me)

since the stuff is the consistency of clay when it's mixed, and has a 1-2 hour work time, it would be much easier to use than bondo. and involve much less sanding, since you could spend a good deal of time smoothing the clay itself before it cures.

my idea with the stuff was to glass the inside of my piece, and then carve away the sharp angles on the outside with a utility knife to smooth it out a bit, then go back and finish smoothing with the epoxy putty. (i'm usin cardboard so it'll be a little different than most, since i don't need to resin the outside before glassing)

you could also use the stuff for detailing very similar to clay. ie, make paper or cardboard templates of the shapes you need, roll the stuff out into a sheet, cut out the templates from the epoxy putty, and place them n smooth em on your helmet.

Ok, heres the story.
ive finished it and peped it. as far as i know as long as i dont claim that its my own design ans i dont try to make a profit of it i should be ok.
i havnt found anywhere i can uplaod the pep file (havnt realy looked to be honest) but i have the pep plans here, their set up so its 26 cm high(dunno what that is in inches), i think its the adverage of what everyone else seems to be goin for.

as for the pep file ill uplad it after ive compleated H3. untill then im compleatly distancing myself from the net incase of spoilers. talk to you guys soon. :D

heres the exported plans-

http://www.4shared.com/file/24945227/ad178...3_helm_001.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/24945223/aa7a4...3_helm_002.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/24945219/6182f...3_helm_003.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/24945244/62447...3_helm_004.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/24945240/6529b...3_helm_005.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/24945238/24b3a...3_helm_006.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/24945235/5a02d...3_helm_007.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/24945230/2a682...3_helm_008.html

remember:its 26cm high and i wont be on after today till after ive compleated the game so dont wory if i dnt answer ur questions for a bit.

EDIT: ive fixed the links... AGAIN

ok, ive found another site and uploaded the pics without them getting automaticly scaled. hope they can help someone. ill put up the pep in a few days.

talk to yez soooooooon

eeeeeee, cant wait for the game.(someone my age shouldnt get this excited about a game)

hahah i did this too, im building mine right now. yours has a few more details i wanted to add to, but i diddnt want to complicate the build too much. i just added the major differences. the link is in my sig.
------
edit-
heres a new render of mine, personally i dont see anything wrong with sharing a custom creation. its not bungie's original model, so i think you can do as you please with it.
[attachment=470:render.jpg]

edit-
lol you and i are the same age :p

haha, ok so maby its ok for me to be this excited about the game.

anyhu, ive finaly finished my H3 helm model... and now you can have it toooo!!! yeaaaay!!

H3_helm03.jpg

but first, some warnings:

1. the scale is different so you'll need to do it by measurements.

2. this file isnt flattened yet so you'll have to do that yourself for now.

3. this is not, i repeat NOT, for the pep beginner. you'll need to know how to fold and glue propperly before starting.

4. some of the details are left out because they will be easier to do afterwards with card or bondo. the details or rather where they should be are layed out in the mesh so you can easily add them yourself. these details include but are not limited to: the lines that run around the helm. the curved peices on the sides near the back. the little 'H' shaped part in the center back where the memory unit goes. the corigated vents on the sides to the front.

5. the bits going accross the visor and kneck are supports. i built them in to prevent warping etc. they are optional. if you dont want em in the plan just move em up to the top left off the paper layout.

ok i think thats about it so here you go.

http://www.4shared.com/file/25236557/8b3c8...3_helm_pep.html

EDIT: if your not in a rush im pepping it atm and ill post it when im done.

My God Man! That helmet looks awesome. I was pissed when as soon as I finished attaching the final piece on my Mark VI helmet you post yours and it has a ton more detail added to it. I am giving the completed one to my friend to make into a display piece and I want to make yours and a display (or possible costume). Can't wait until you release the pepped files of the helmet. Once again, great job.

wow. thanks dude. much appereciated. if you havnt started yet, dont. im adding/correcting lil details on it atm (isnt forge and saved movies amazing for that kinda stuf??!!!). anyhu i should have the updated model up by the end of the week.

also, check out here later. im planing on doing the full armour over the next while n ill put up what i get done. might bee a while doe, gota work alot. :mad:

flying_squirl said:
wow. thanks dude. much appereciated. if you havnt started yet, dont. im adding/correcting lil details on it atm (isnt forge and saved movies amazing for that kinda stuf??!!!). anyhu i should have the updated model up by the end of the week.

also, check out here later. im planing on doing the full armour over the next while n ill put up what i get done. might bee a while doe, gota work alot. :mad:

While I'm new to all this... I must cry now as I just finished with the mark VI chest piece in card stock form and though I have a Mark V helm I already cut out all the Mark VI pieces from the file you provided and put pre-folds in them today... Now you drop this bomb on me. :p I'll prolly just continue with my current plans and redo it later if the detail is much more noticeable with your new files. But keep up the good work. I should have the helmet glue by the end of the week - least I hope so. Can't keep redoing it everytime I find a new file :p Thanks for your contribution its much appreciated.

If you get the update before I get too far into it and if possible retroactively fit them in then that might work also....

flying_squirl said:

I look foreward to it. It seems like this one would be even more detailed than the pep version of the one created from the H3 files since you are making decisions based on the textured and smoothed version of the game models. So many choices of where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back