Props Custom Rifle Wip Advice Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

JangoFett140

I've been working on a custom rifle concept i came up with. Im planning on building it soon. Im really good friends with the owners of our local UPS store and their ordering me legal size card stock so i can have the longer parts on one sheet cause i dont want to split them on two. Im working on cleaning up the model and getting them unfolded however sketch up seem to have problems with random edges not wanting to close. bevbor has been a big help on another mold i tried to unfold and his help has shown me how to fix most of them. However i still have one right now that wont close. I will be assembling the parts from pep files with pvc as the barrel. I plan on lining the parts with cardboard on the inside and i will slush rondo on the inside to reinforce and the fill with expanding foam in some places for light weight added strength and hopefully prevent breakage of crack if dropped or hit. I plan to use something similar to these for the bipod. I'll use a piano hinge for the barrel. The suppressor will slide back on the rails to lock the barrel when folded. The check rest will be adjustable hopefully.

I need advice on what to use to lock the barrel in the extended position. I have few ideas but their not easy to do. 1 is to make a sliding piece like i did with the suppressor the other is to on the inside sliding locks like on bathroom doors, i would screw them to the barrel with the bolt sticking out the side through a slot. What ever i do in though i want it to fit with rifle. The barrel is 1"x1".

"Specs"

The rifle is a energy based rifle like Star Wars blasters. The main thing that makes it different is that it has a folding barrel. When extended the rifle is a high power semi auto sniper rifle with 20 shots to the battery. When the barrel is folded it becomes a fully auto assault rifle with a weaker power output with 60 shots a battery. Once folded the lower barrel becomes the tube for an under slung "energy grenade launcher" that is powered by a separate battery that gets 4 shots a battery.

Inner-Barrel width 0.5"

Barrel Body 1"x1"

Length Extended 3'6"

Length Folded 2' 6"

Height 5.5"

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Io-My_jN-MA[/media]

customrifle_Page_1.jpg

customrifle_Page_2.jpg

customrifle_Page_3.jpg

customrifle_Page_4.jpg

customrifle_Page_5.jpg

customrifle_Page_6.jpg

customrifle_Page_7.jpg

customrifle_Page_8.jpg

customrifle_Page_9.jpg

WoW

Great model, but I think that wood is the best way to do this, or at least a combination of wood and pep.

You can have all those amazing moving parts made out of good sturdy wood, and it will give the weapon a nice solid feel and could likely be cheaper to build then with all the resin ect. To make a good wooden weapon all you really need is a jigsaw, a power drill, and some sort of sanding attachment for it, plus a few knives.

As for the locking mechanism some kind of spring would be your best bet. You could use one from a pen mechanism or something similar.

Good luck with the build,

-Devious

Lord Devious said:
WoW

Great model, but I think that wood is the best way to do this, or at least a combination of wood and pep.

You can have all those amazing moving parts made out of good sturdy wood, and it will give the weapon a nice solid feel and could likely be cheaper to build then with all the resin ect. To make a good wooden weapon all you really need is a jigsaw, a power drill, and some sort of sanding attachment for it, plus a few knives.

As for the locking mechanism some kind of spring would be your best bet. You could use one from a pen mechanism or something similar.

Good luck with the build,

-Devious

I would like to do wood however I lack a proper saw for cutting the angles and I don't have a good way to drill 1' long hole through the barrel short of cutting the barrel in to 6" pieces and the gluing them back together. I'm going to try to get some of these tools this spring but I'll just have to see. If I do I may try it cause also think would would be best best I'm also try to push the limits of pep to find ways do stuff like this for people tht don't or can't use wood fir whatever reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gooberz said:
Not intending to offend, but would you consider yourself very well acquainted with firearms?

Non taken. Not really. I mean i know all the basics for safety and shoot clay pigeons at my friends farm. If your referring to the folding barrel i understand where you going this is a fantasy gun that fits in the same category and giant shape changing electrical sword guns. Not mean to necessarily be practical in any way just a fun project i wanted to do to test some pep ideas i had.

JangoFett140 said:
Non taken. Not really. I mean i know all the basics for safety and shoot clay pigeons at my friends farm. If your referring to the folding barrel i understand where you going this is a fantasy gun that fits in the same category and giant shape changing electrical sword guns. Not mean to necessarily be practical in any way just a fun project i wanted to do to test some pep ideas i had.

Ah, I understand. Best of luck!

Gooberz said:
Not intending to offend, but would you consider yourself very well acquainted with firearms?

not intending to offend, but would you consider yourself very well acquainted with Prop Making?

the idea is to make the "imaginary objects" become real.... maybe not functional, but real.

anyhoot, i like it i would suggest getting rid of the grenade launcher, a sniper really shouldn't be in a situation where he needs a grenade launcher... Maybe when the Barrel is folded down it acts more like an assault riffle? the round would still need to be .50, so it could be like a pistol Mag up there and shoots from the lower barrel. that way if $#!T really hits the fan and he is about to be over ran with enemies he could fall back while laying down some fire.

just a thought, but i like it so far.

DreadMullet said:
anyhoot, i like it i would suggest getting rid of the grenade launcher, a sniper really shouldn't be in a situation where he needs a grenade launcher... Maybe when the Barrel is folded down it acts more like an assault riffle? the round would still need to be .50, so it could be like a pistol Mag up there and shoots from the lower barrel. that way if $#!T really hits the fan and he is about to be over ran with enemies he could fall back while laying down some fire.

understand your thinking. this gun is more for like a commando that would need a weapon to take out 1 dude a mile away or a whole group. Also it fire laser bolts (star wars style) not solid rounds. Cardstock will be in next week sometime i may do a few of the smaller parts before then like the suppressor and the like. Im also hoping to test another pep i did last night if we get it fixed and unfolded.

0235 said:
dude, looks just like Yokos rifle from TTGL!

That wip is coming as soon as it warms up and teh snow finally gives up...how ever it called in reinforcements today so well just have to see.

Nice idea man!

I agree with Devious, wood looks like the way to go. For the majority of the gun, you might want to use a solid piece of wood for strength and ease, but then again it might be expensive and hard to work with. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will work great.

It's nice to see people making their own creations! Are you going to add a scope or something on the top?

Stonewall said:
You could use a piece of PVC pipe for the barrel or possibly for other parts.

---Stonewall

i do plan on using 1/2" pvc for the barrel

mustang2500 said:
It's nice to see people making their own creations! Are you going to add a scope or something on the top?

yes i will make custom mount that will work with my 4x32 scope i think or if i get a good deal i might buy a different style for it.

I got all the parts into pep how ever there are still some open edges that wont go away so im going to look into getting those fixed however if someone wants to try to fi em ill gladly accept the help. ive ran them through a few programs that should fix em but they dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back