Cutting The Visor And Any Fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to use it but if I shouldn't then I won't... So I got a yes and a no so I'm still confused

EDIT: I read the page and it can cut mild steel so that seems good enough...

I believe mild steel is referring to the carbon content of the steel. Not thickness. I'd just be worried about the blade "grabbing" the lens and mangling it as JSwift mentioned.

Yeah just seems like it would catch and chip and possibly spilt or shatter the whole piece. Not to mention a very rough edge that you would still have to smooth.

I'm already low on money right now... Had to buy a car... I hate car accidents! So thats why I asked if HD whould do it, just like they cut wood down to the size you need for you

MisterChief said:
I'm already low on money right now... Had to buy a car... I hate car accidents! So thats why I asked if HD whould do it, just like they cut wood down to the size you need for you

I seriously doubt HD will cut a visor for you, In fact I am willing to bet my left kidney they wont. Others have said it, I will say it again a Rotary tool ( dremel, black and decker whatever) is your best bet, not to mention handy for other aspects of armor making. They can be gotten a walmart for as low as $19.00 to upwards of $35.00. Surely $19.00 wont kill your budget, and if it does you need to seriously reflect on wether or not armor making is for you.

There are always alternatives, check with your friends and family, see if any of them already have a tool you can barrow. I saw above where one person did theirs with tin snips and took their time or look into getting a diamond cutting blade for a drill and be slow and careful. Part of armor making is being able to look at the whole picture and then doing something innovative this can also apply to your methods of creation.

People often talk about how "expensive" it is to make armor. What most people don't talk about is, roughly 60 to 70% of the costs are often people having to re-buy supplies because they screwed up the first go around. Take your time, use the right methodologies, improvise on tools when you have too and anyone can get through armor making without spending their life savings. Oh and HD wont cut the visor.( heh back on subject after that long winded diatribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
MisterChief said:
OK thanks for the help guys I know what I'm going to do now...

If you can't get it cut, I would be glad to cut it for you for free.
BTW, the best cut I can get is with my band saw.
Its the only way to cut the visor without having to rest it against anything that could scratch it.

JSwift said:
If you have a dremel with a diamond cutoff wheel it will cut really nice.

trust me, standard silicon carbide works much better than diamond for this application. diamond is usually only good for stone & ceramic as it clogs up incredibly quick. wear your respirator.

what kind of cutting tool do i want... one with high speed or high torque and should it be a rotating blade or a jabbing blade (to easily put it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back