Daft Punk Helmet Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

sporgo

After seeing Volpin's excellent work on this helmet I decided to build one of my own. I decided to put all my halo projects on hold for the time being. I initially used the high poly pep model to start on this but then had to rebuild the entire thing. The only part of the pep model which is useful is the visor section for a good starting point on the shape. I will upload most of the photos to my flickr to save bandwidth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42349758@N02/?saved=1

The base was built using a combination of methods mainly Bondo and fiberglass to get the rough support structure. I also used foam board/expanding foam and plain old cardboard. I built up plaster to create the visor surface. Uneven coats of primer have given it that mottled appearance. Sorry I do not have very many photos from the early stages. I tend to concentrate on building and forget to take pictures. I will post up a picture of the inside later so you can see what a mish mash it is in there. Im planning on using clay scuplt for my next project I'm tired of all these noxious chemicals. Due to many years of using fiberglass resins I am sensitized to it so even a whiff of the unmixed resin can give me a headache.

Here is an update of where I am at this point. There was a large amount of sanding and surface filling between these updates which I did not document because that is just boring. I'm now adding on the detail for the gold border section and positioning the ear pieces. I am using some prototyping clay made by Chavant for some of the finishing work. I have only roughed out the clay sections in these pictures.

[attachment=12314:IMG_4715.JPG][attachment=12315:IMG_4716.JPG][attachment=12316:IMG_4717.JPG]

Oops I cropped those down a bit now, my camera takes massive pictures.

Some very nice work mate. Now my question is what will you do for the visor part of the helmet.

- Adulese

Adulese said:
Some very nice work mate. Now my question is what will you do for the visor part of the helmet.

- Adulese

I have a vacuum former which will be used to shape clear PET sheet. A cutout visor from a cast is being used for the buck. As for the circuit design I will add that when I find the time to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to my own personal hell!

haha, looking great so far. Personally, I hope I never have to make another one of these again! If you want to do chrome finishing, drop me a line - I know (through trial and error) where some good shops are to have that done at.

Thanks for the compliment Derkraken. I could not have done this without your extremely helpful photos and tips. This helmet has been very challenging to build. I had some problems and an accident which resulted in my casts not being as smooth and finished as I had hoped so they will require hand work to finish them up :(. I had a bad reaction with some clear coat that bubbled up and peeled off in places which completely botched all the smoothing I had done on the clay sections and the ear pieces.

I managed to get the buck cut out so hopefully I will find time to make a visor tomorrow.

That's pretty spiffy.

Having just found out recently about the whole concept of pepakura and such, I seem to overlook the fact you can model nearly anything.

Having an itch to attempt a "Voldo" mask/costume for next year now.

great work!! cant wait to see it all done up. hope you have luck with the visor and chroming as Derkarken/Volpin ran into some problems with that.

A small update. I managed to make a visor which is good enough for testing and display. I'm working on making some changes to my vac former before I make any more. Sorry these pics don't measure up to my others because I don't have my quality camera right now.

Though some may have thought this project abandoned I have returned to it now. I have improved my vacuum former and I have made my first PETG visor. It came out great. The visor has been the most difficult section of this project. Judging whether the proper plastic temperature has been reached is very difficult and you only get one try per sheet.

I am using a kitchen floor special that I built from wood. Basically a wooden box with a a bunch of holes drilled in the top. I have two vacuum sources one is a shop vac and the other is a RobinAir vacuum pump meant for AC systems. This makes it a sort of two stage system where the shop vac pulls a down the large volume quickly and then I can pinch off its hose and let the Robinair pull extreme vacuum. This tends to be a bit over kill though since the Robinair is so powerful it can implode the box if you let it. With both those suckers running and the oven on Broil I am tearing through some electricity and making one hell of a racket.

The helmet looks great! How do you plan on mirroring it?

I'm going to PM you about your vacu-former too.

Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back