Daft Punk helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
heres a picture someone in the audience took of me while i was dancing to "Mr. Roboto"
daftray.jpg

Iceman29 said:
Nice helmet man.
Quick question, what type of urethane did you use?

ill have to get that info from my buddy who does bodywork. i think its PPG brand, but i dont know exactly what kind, just that he gave me white urethane primer, says its thicker and fills small sanded grooves better.

Last edited by a moderator:
loking said:
how long did it take you to make it

3 days, about 16 hours total working time

a1200 said:
man you made that hat harder better faster and stronger.....

the LED strip actually says that too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been inspired! (I'm a total newb at this)

dpunk.jpg

Here's what I have cooking, inspired by optimusaint:

I bought a $15 Baseball helmet sanded its surface, seals and edges, and built up with duct tape cuts of paperboard to form the silver (one on right of above pic) daft punk helmet:
DSC01161.jpg

Then with the help of my dad we used fiberglass cloth and resin to coat the whole thing:
DSC01169.jpg

DSC01168.jpg

This is when I learned that fiberglassing does not stick to duct tape as well as it does masking tape. But I assume everyone here could have told me that!

I'm currently waiting for the fiberglass to cure and harden, then I'll coat it with resin again and let that sit, then apply bondo to it, let it dry, sand a ton, prime, sand, prime, sand, and spray with chome or metallic paint!

Any suggestions/comments well appreciated!

-Kraig

I've cut away the excess fiberglass but as previously realized, the fiberglass had hardened with some air pockets around the duct tape areas where it didn't stick. I'm currently headed to Home Depot with a friend to pick up a Dremel Kit to sand away the excess more professionally and smooth out where it didn't attach. I'll put masking over and touch up the areas with new fiberglass cloth/resin.

DSC01173.jpg

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01175.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

Sounds good to me at least, lol.

I'm also picking up bondo to put all over and then sand it down from there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back