Daft Punk helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robogenisis said:
Wow. That looks really good, and smooth :D.
If you know how to work with LEDs and what not, I've been told to get LEDs at http://superbrightleds.com.
I've never actually bought from them, but they have cheaper LEDs, and I've heard good things about them.
White LEDs are $0.54 to $0.99. Red are $0.27 to $0.59.

Thanks!

Ideally, I'd like to by all the LEDs and somehow program them together for the visor (red lights). Sadly I'm a designer, not an electrician, so I might opt for the LED belt buckle route ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some cool Daft Punk helmets, one of these days I'll have to have a go at one too :)

I'm just starting to build a collection of pretty good reference images of the helmets and other parts of the costume, I'll post some links here once I'm done if anyone is interested.

I have been working on my own Daft Punk helmet since early January. Let me tell ya... I had no idea what I was getting myself into! haha. I'm probably 80-100 man-hours into it at this point and still have a lot of work left. Part of the reason is I've never done anything remotely like this so it's been a learning experience for sure (many thanks to this board!)

I went with the baseball helmet route as well. Built the front mask part with cardstock/foamboard. Bondo and filler primer over that. For the past month it's been bondo, primer, sand, repeat lol. I thought I was good to go, but the black base coat I put on today revealed I wasn't quite as smooth as I was aiming for, so I'll be back at it tonight!

The earpieces you see on the helmet now are going to be cutoff and replaced with frosted acrylic that will light be lit up with led's, something I've yet to see on any replica helmet.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!

n29003518_31019723_7626.jpg

n29003518_31040114_4642.jpg

n29003518_31040118_5806.jpg

n29003518_31051022_3619.jpg

n29003518_31051023_3929.jpg

n29003518_31056552_9219.jpg

n29003518_31056553_9549.jpg

n29003518_31060918_2804.jpg

n29003518_31062258_2478.jpg

n29003518_31062259_3103.jpg

giz said:
I have been working on my own Daft Punk helmet since early January. Let me tell ya... I had no idea what I was getting myself into! haha. I'm probably 80-100 man-hours into it at this point and still have a lot of work left. Part of the reason is I've never done anything remotely like this so it's been a learning experience for sure (many thanks to this board!)

good job man! im about to get started on two new daft punk helmets. im going to do both characters, so my friend and i can perform dance routines together (right now i dance solo on stage at 2 clubs, i want to get him involved)

optimusaint said:
good job man! im about to get started on two new daft punk helmets. im going to do both characters, so my friend and i can perform dance routines together (right now i dance solo on stage at 2 clubs, i want to get him involved)

Sweet! I plan to build the Guy-Man helmet come summertime, when I have more time and funding. It's definitely the more difficult of the two to make.

I've still got to finish my helmet! I've gotta buy the visor parts and LED belt still, I've just gotten busy with many other things!

giz- I like how yours turned out! Very nice!

optimusaint/giz- I want to make Guy's helmet as well, let me know how you manage to do it, cause it does look damn cool but much harder. I'm thinking maybe modifying a motorcycle helmet, but those are pretty pricey.

Also whoever likes Daft Punk, check out "Justice." They're from France as well, a Daft Punk inspired band with more of a dance feel. They're also touring and I'm seeing them In Montreal next Sunday~
http://www.myspace.com/etjusticepourtous

This is their amazing video for D.A.N.C.E:

ANYWAY, rock on, when I get to finishing my helmet I'll post some pics!

masterkraig said:
I've still got to finish my helmet! I've gotta buy the visor parts and LED belt still, I've just gotten busy with many other things!

giz- I like how yours turned out! Very nice!

optimusaint/giz- I want to make Guy's helmet as well, let me know how you manage to do it, cause it does look damn cool but much harder. I'm thinking maybe modifying a motorcycle helmet, but those are pretty pricey.

Also whoever likes Daft Punk, check out "Justice." They're from France as well, a Daft Punk inspired band with more of a dance feel. They're also touring and I'm seeing them In Montreal next Sunday~
http://www.myspace.com/etjusticepourtous

This is their amazing video for D.A.N.C.E:

ANYWAY, rock on, when I get to finishing my helmet I'll post some pics!

thanks! I'm now finished with it entirely besides the "mirror" finish that I plan on doing when I have the money.

right now I do plan on doing Guy's helmet but not until the summer. it definitely will be a challenge.

anyway here is a pic of the finished helmet. check out the rest on my flickr account. http://flickr.com/photos/7589540@N08/sets/72157603884775130/

lean.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back