Dancinfools Mk Vi Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancin Fool

Hey Everyone, I decided a few days ago to give the MK VI armor a shot for Halloween. I had been working on a fairly intricate Velociraptor costume but with the addition of a brand new puppy a few weeks ago work on that costume fell to the wayside. Realizing I didn't have enough time to finish the Raptor I had to decide on what to build. There wasn't enough time to design something from scratch and I figured being on these boards for a while it was about time I tried my hand at the chief.

I think I've got a timeline worked out that will get me finished before Halloween. A few notes on this project, I will not be going the usual route of fibreglassing, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, spot putty. Due to the lack of time I will be using epoxy resin on the outside, and cheese cloth and more epoxy resin on the inside for strength. In my experience with the epoxy resin it's usually pretty smooth so hopefully the combination of the HD models and a quick sand will get decent results.

Here's pictures of my progress, the last picture is the cut out pieces for the right thigh and the helmet.

[attachment=12284:DSCN2129.JPG]

[attachment=12285:DSCN2130.JPG]

[attachment=12286:DSCN2131.JPG]

[attachment=12287:DSCN2133.JPG]

[attachment=12288:DSCN2134.JPG]

Hey Everyone, progress has been chugging along fairly well. Since the last post I've pepped the right thigh, the cod, and the helmet. I've got the chest 75% pepped. For the most part all that's left on the chest is gluing the front and back together, putting in supports and finishing the seperate ab piece.

Surprisingly I actually found the thigh piece has given me the most trouble so far, I think it's partially do to not adjusting the hidden edge threshold before printing though.

My fiancee got me a Cricut for an early anniversary gift and it's amazing. It took a little while to get a system in place so everything scales properly and lines up on the paper, but now it runs very smoothly, usually maybe a mm off which hasn't really caused me any grief. I used it for cutting out 70% of the chest.

Now on with the pictures!!

[attachment=12557:DSCN2148.JPG]

[attachment=12558:DSCN2149.JPG]

[attachment=12559:DSCN2150.JPG]

[attachment=12560:DSCN2151.JPG]

[attachment=12561:DSCN2152.JPG]

Here's a shot of my first successful run with the cricut

[attachment=12556:DSCN2147.JPG]

Dancin_Fool said:
My fiancee got me a Cricut for an early anniversary gift and it's amazing. It took a little while to get a system in place so everything scales properly and lines up on the paper, but now it runs very smoothly, usually maybe a mm off which hasn't really caused me any grief. I used it for cutting out 70% of the chest.

Here's a shot of my first successful run with the cricut

[attachment=12375:DSCN2147.JPG]

That is awesome! I've considered getting one. I might for my next suit. Would you recommend it to other people? You're making good progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
tiredofbuttons said:
That is awesome! I've considered getting one. I might for my next suit. Would you recommend it to other people? You're making good progress.

I definitely would recommend it if you do a lot of pepakura costume work. However it is not as easy to use with pepakura as the craftrobo. However I could only find the craftrobo online, plus all the accessories( cutting mats, blades ) for the cricut are easy to find at stores like Michaels or Walmart.

Once I finish my costume I'll do a tutorial on how to get the Cricut working with pepakura, I'm still working out the kinks on the pipeline but it's been working quite well. Right now I'm only using it to cut out the pieces, I tried out a technique for getting it to score the pieces as well. The technique worked but it took a really long time to cut a sheet. So I've just been scoring by hand which I don't find to be a problem as the scoring goes quite quick and doesn't put a lot of strain on the fingers like cutting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Props to you dancing fool for this. Doing HD parts for your first set, plus in time for Halloween. Way to go. I thought about doing the HD parts, but timing and it being my first set is preventing me from doing it.

Keep it up! Four weeks to go!

Thanks AngelVirusX, It's been a fun build so far, I think I should be done pepping within a week and a half or so. While it's my first full pep costume I've been doing intense Halloween costumes for quite a few years now, usually it's been Transformers but the last couple years I've been branching out.

I've uploaded a couple shots of the 90% completed chest. I still need to glue in the supports and there's a piece missing here and there. Hopefully this weekend I can get the right bicep and forearm done and I'll be all done pepping the right side :D .

[attachment=12562:DSCN2153.JPG]

[attachment=12563:DSCN2154.JPG]

Apologies for a double post, Just got the bicep finished today and wanted to upload some shots. I know it's a little warped. Hopefully I can fix that up before resining by adding a few more supports.

I've gotten better with my Cricut, I've figured out how to get it to score all my lines as well through a 2 cut pass. Definitely enjoying having it, makes life a lot easier. On to the pictures.

[attachment=12553:DSCN2156.JPG]

[attachment=12554:DSCN2157.JPG]

[attachment=12555:DSCN2158.JPG]

my god dude your a pepping machinnne./

the bicep doesnt lok to warped so you should definattely be able to fix it. well good luck, and i hope oyu make your dead-line

Thanks guys, I'm trying to crank through the pep work as quick as I can. I'm hoping to at least have time for one lite bondo pass on some of the pieces before painting.

I haven't done any thorough searching just yet but I'll throw the question out there. Is a motorcycle visor the best way to go for the helmet visor? I don't really like buying stuff online, does anyone know what kinda shops to look for to pick up that kinda thing?

Alright time for another update, didn't have as much time over the weekend as I would have liked to have had. Still got a fair bit accomplished though. I have the whole right side of the body pepped now, going to start working my way up the left side now. I also built a weapon so I'm not empty handed when it comes time for Halloween.

[attachment=12551:DSCN2161.JPG]

[attachment=12552:DSCN2163.JPG]

[attachment=12549:DSCN2160.JPG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back