Dark's Cqb Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thank you for the kind words, see that's what the 405th is all about, being a community who happens to focus on prop making! Looks great Dark, can't wait to see more!!! ;)

My JS-1 visor arrived earlier this week. I covered it up with blue painters tape and trimmed it down to fit. The uncut visor is approx. 12 inches wide and 6-7 inches tall. I then covered the blue tape with electrical tape (so the bondo won't stick to it) and installed it temporarily. It fit better than I expected. The largest gap was only 3/8 of an inch.

<div align="center">[attachment=9966:DSCN0105.JPG]

<div align='center'></div>[attachment=9967:DSCN0106.JPG]

<div align="center"></div>[attachment=9968:DSCN0114.JPG]

<div align='center'></div>[attachment=9969:DSCN0116.JPG]

<div align="center"></div>[attachment=9970:DSCN0135.JPG]
<div align='left'>
I found some foam weather stripping at a garage sale and used it to add some of the details to the back of the helmet. It created a mold of the area that I wanted to raise. The foam was real easy to remove from the helmet and left very few pieces on the fresh bondo. The pictures below have not been sanded.</div>

<div align='center'></div>[attachment=9971:DSCN0123.JPG]

<div align="center"></div>[attachment=9972:DSCN0126.JPG]

<div align='center'></div>[attachment=9973:DSCN0129.JPG]

[attachment=9974:DSCN0108.JPG]
</div>

My next update will be when all the details are done. This may take a little while. Stay tuned. :D

Im starting on this dome very soon...

Im relieved about the visor, its cheap and apparently easily installed...

Good work buddy, keep us updated

Evolution said:
Im starting on this dome very soon...
Im relieved about the visor, its cheap and apparently easily installed...

Good work buddy, keep us updated

Thanks. I use bondo to hold a couple of nuts on the inside of the helmet and used screws and washers to install the visor. I had to push the visor in a little bit towards the bottom to get the right bend. It is easier if the visor is cut a little narrower at the bottom leaving just enough to attach with. Just trim it little by little. Here is what mine looks like.

[attachment=9975:DSCN0133.jpg]​

Last edited by a moderator:
when are you planning on putting the temples on?

(the three on the top)

I am still in my pep stage, I take it I leave the temples off til im done with main bondo....

and btw, how are you planning on painting?

drybrush, spray?

Evolution said:
when are you planning on putting the temples on?

(the three on the top)

I will be adding them once I finish sanding the top.

Evolution said:
and btw, how are you planning on painting?

drybrush, spray?

I'm not sure yet. Maybe a combination of both.

Sgt_NVC_CAP said:
whats your plans for the rest of the armor or have you not thought that far ahead yet

I have most of the chest piece prep done but that is on hold at the moment. I want to complete this helmet first. I will complete the chest piece but I have another project I want to do after the CQB Helmet is completed.

Dark said:
I have learned a lot from everyone on this form and I am utilizing the techniques and ideas I have learned including some of my own.
Thanks everyone for the great comments. :D

Well, you're doing it the right way ^^. *sniff sniff* "What's this, i smell something...yup that's it. It's CQB awesomness"
Great job, keep it up.

-DD

Looking great so far I am working on the CQB helmet too. Seeing this makes me want to finish it quicker but I am trying to get every thing peped first since I have about 4 suits to make, and it will be quicker to fiberglass everything in one day with help. But I am glad to see the visor works out so I know what to go for even though I still need a different visor for the mark VI helmets.

Here is an update to the current state of my CQB helmet. I still have more details to add and a lot of sanding left to do. I would appreciate any comments or ideas that you might have.

[attachment=10412:DSCN0200.JPG] [attachment=10413:DSCN0201.JPG] [attachment=10414:DSCN0202.JPG]

For the ridges on the top, I cut a strip (approx. 1 1/2") off one of my plastic spreaders from bondo. I cut a rounded grove out of the bottom using a leather hole punch and a razor blade. This made creating the ridges a lot easier.

[attachment=10415:DSCN0224.JPG] [attachment=10416:DSCN0218.JPG]

Very clean work Dark!

The weatherstripping and spreader cutting ideas are great! Keep it up, I'll be watching for updates!

DreadMullet said:
dude you are an animal... this thing is easily on par with Wetokole's cqb. Real great work man, keep it up.

(null).exe said:
Very clean work Dark!

The weatherstripping and spreader cutting ideas are great! Keep it up, I'll be watching for updates!

Thanks for the great compliments.

Man Dark in the while i have not hopped on the computer your cqb helmet has become legondary you should be elite it is awsome!!!!!!!!! (Bad at Spelling)

Classified said:
Man Dark in the while i have not hopped on the computer your cqb helmet has become legondary you should be elite it is awsome!!!!!!!!! (Bad at Spelling)

Thanks for the compliment. That would be awesome. Maybe some day :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back