Reach CQB Helmet Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigmaProps

BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S149
Decided I wanted to do a quick post about my CQB helmet, seeing how it was really my first experience with the community.

So to start I reached out to [Lobb](https://www.405th.com/forums/members/rock-lobbster.32904/) to have the helmet printed, as at the time I had one printer that was far from the best.

Here’s what it looked like freshly printed:

FD5A609C-AF89-4571-A18E-06E9B28B9FE7.jpeg


Shortly after I started sanding and priming, rinsing and repeating…

43A20AC6-0758-4489-8735-59735DF927CF.jpeg

BF2D7D4B-637B-46D0-B8EE-5221F57FCC0E.jpeg


Once that was all done I hit it with a final coat of enamel spray paint to really get the smoothness down, and prototyped getting the visor down right.

19F2CA1E-0F97-4C2B-B238-A4EDD3A3A590.jpeg


Then I hand painted it, installed the visor, and added the HUL module to the side! (The visor material is a sheet from Icon Props on Etsy!)

D4676042-709B-4139-B78D-AB5D8FFC464A.jpeg
 
The enamel method definitely surprises me - how long do you find it takes to dry without being tacky, and do you sand it?
Edit: Should add that the helmet DOES look really good!
 
Last edited:
I imagine that the enamel spray fills out the last small print lines. What did you use for that one?
 
The enamel method definitely surprises me - how long do you find it takes to dry without being tacky, and do you sand it?
Edit: Should add that the helmet DOES look really good!
Not too crazy long, a few hours maybe? I'll usually only sand it if it's still got some rough spots, though before I do I put down some sandable primer since the enamel gunks up sandpaper like crazy!

Thanks! I'm actually not crazy about the paint and the visor will be replaced with a vacuformed one at some point.
 
Decided I wanted to do a quick post about my CQB helmet, seeing how it was really my first experience with the community.

So to start I reached out to [Lobb](https://www.405th.com/forums/members/rock-lobbster.32904/) to have the helmet printed, as at the time I had one printer that was far from the best.

Here’s what it looked like freshly printed:

View attachment 325540

Shortly after I started sanding and priming, rinsing and repeating…

View attachment 325541
View attachment 325542

Once that was all done I hit it with a final coat of enamel spray paint to really get the smoothness down, and prototyped getting the visor down right.

View attachment 325543

Then I hand painted it, installed the visor, and added the HUL module to the side! (The visor material is a sheet from Icon Props on Etsy!)

View attachment 325544
I'm in the same boat for the visor, I used a sheet from Icon props but I'm also going to replace it with a vacuum formed visor soon. Lookong very good so far!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top