Destiny 2 Helmet Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnavishPlum

So, its been a while since I have been on here. Since I just started college, my Halo suit has been put on hold. Since my college has a maker space (3d printers, laser cutter, etc.) I am going to focus on my R2 project and wanted to make a Destiny Helmet to go with my ODST Helmet.

For reference, I want to print the Insurmontable Skullfort from Destiny 2 (I like the D2 design more than D1). I can easily get the model from the Destiny stl generator, though the files are very finicky with opening. I have very little modeling experience, but was wondering what are some idea on how to make it usable. What programs would be good for editing the stl file? Would something like Blender be good? or something more like Fusion 360?

I have also thought about the existing file from Do3D, but I have heard pretty bad things about them and don't feel like spending money since college stuff.

So, its been a while since I have been on here. Since I just started college, my Halo suit has been put on hold. Since my college has a maker space (3d printers, laser cutter, etc.) I am going to focus on my R2 project and wanted to make a Destiny Helmet to go with my ODST Helmet.

For reference, I want to print the Insurmontable Skullfort from Destiny 2 (I like the D2 design more than D1). I can easily get the model from the Destiny stl generator, though the files are very finicky with opening. I have very little modeling experience, but was wondering what are some idea on how to make it usable. What programs would be good for editing the stl file? Would something like Blender be good? or something more like Fusion 360?

I have also thought about the existing file from Do3D, but I have heard pretty bad things about them and don't feel like spending money since college stuff.
Both fusion 360 and blender would do just fine. Personally I prefer to make it from scratch rather than editing the base but that's tricky on helmets so idk.

I'm sorry I can't help you on this subject, but I would love to see an update/build on it when you start!

What programs would be good for editing the stl file? Would something like Blender be good? or something more like Fusion 360?

Blender I find is better for editing an existing mesh and Fusion 360 is great for building from the ground up. Some features like creating shells become a bit difficult for Fusion to compute if the initial sketches and primitives aren't in the timeline.

I'm a Blender babby but mblackwell1002 is well versed in it and may have some insight.

I'm a sucker for Autodesk and have covered some approaches using Fusion and Meshmixer as a power couple to make buckets in my build thread.

Ok, maybe Ill download blender, its still free right? I used it like once a while back but haven't touched it since. I am super nooby in fusion, but I am kinda ok. I model of a Nintendo ROB is pretty ok.

Ok, maybe Ill download blender, its still free right? I used it like once a while back but haven't touched it since. I am super nooby in fusion, but I am kinda ok. I model of a Nintendo ROB is pretty ok.
Yep still is free. also YESSSSSH ROB best character. (I main rob in smash)

Yep still is free. also YESSSSSH ROB best character. (I main rob in smash)
YA! I found pictures of what I assume are either the blueprints or concept sketches for the actual toy, so I have used those. Since he is basically a bunch of chamfered polygons, I though it would be a good place to start.

I definitely would like to learn Fusion more, but I don't have the time. Also I would consider jumping from ROB to the Skullfort a pretty big jump in complexity.

YA! I found pictures of what I assume are either the blueprints or concept sketches for the actual toy, so I have used those. Since he is basically a bunch of chamfered polygons, I thought it would be a good place to start.

I definitely would like to learn Fusion more, but I don't have the time. Also, I would consider jumping from ROB to the Skullfort a pretty big jump in complexity.
I don't always play Smash, but when I do...I'm freaking Kirby all the way. Woot!

Alas, young Titan, KnavishPlum. Blender should suit your needs quite well. Watch a few videos on Mesh Topology (making meshes free-flowing, this will matter in the rest of your 3D modeling 'career', in almost any program), basic blender interface, and memorize a few keyboard shortcuts.
[F] fills any edges you have selected with a new face. Very useful shortcut.
Also, the numpad on the right side of your keyboard changes views. [5] changes the views from orthographic to perspective, and the rest change the viewing angle.
Use [Ctrl] as a modifier for those keys, it will do the opposite side. Very Handy.
If that doesn't make sense, you'll see what i mean later.
[x] deletes, also.

Im kinda babbling. Bleh.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask for clarification for anything.

Last edited:

I think I have made this helmet ready for pep if you want to start from there. It should be mesh welded solid with some of the details cut into it. I had in my thread a long time ago so its the d1 version. Hope it helps.

insurmountable skullfort helm titan.obj

Here is the link to my mediafire destiny folder of files ready for pep if you want to use them.
You raise the poly count, details etc. A good starting point to convert them to 3d print.

MediaFire

I think I have made this helmet ready for pep if you want to start from there. It should be mesh welded solid with some of the details cut into it. I had in my thread a long time ago so its the d1 version. Hope it helps.

insurmountable skullfort helm titan.obj

Here is the link to my mediafire destiny folder of files ready for pep if you want to use them.
You raise the poly count, details etc. A good starting point to convert them to 3d print.

MediaFire
Thanks, in truth, its really which ever one works out better, Ill go for either design, but I never actually wore it in D1 (though I did reinstall it just cause so...) I have worn it for all of D2 so far, so that design is more desirable, but again. I will take which ever one works out better.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I may have come across your thread while looking for models to work with.

I have done some work on "fixing" the file (Destiny 2 Skullfort STL) in Blender and I need some help. most of the fixing has involved deleting faces from the model, but some of the faces are kinda hard to delete because bits of them will actually be a part of the model. How would I go about cutting away the hidden parts of each face without removing the parts that are seen?

Also once its fixed, how would I go about "thickening" it it's not paper thin? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, would anyone know why this is happening? If a D1 skullfort model I have that is already hollowed out into 3D builder, it wants to repair it and fill it up, how would I stop this?

Last edited:
I have done some work on "fixing" the file (Destiny 2 Skullfort STL) in Blender and I need some help. most of the fixing has involved deleting faces from the model, but some of the faces are kinda hard to delete because bits of them will actually be a part of the model. How would I go about cutting away the hidden parts of each face without removing the parts that are seen?

Also once its fixed, how would I go about "thickening" it it's not paper thin? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, would anyone know why this is happening? If a D1 skullfort model I have that is already hollowed out into 3D builder, it wants to repair it and fill it up, how would I stop this?

Here is a quick video on stl files in blender.

I am not at home so I can't really explain it to much as I don't remember the menu.
You can also set the thickness in blender of the wall. Its filling in the open edges because its non manifold and most programs like cura etc, dont want open edges unless it has a thickness or inner wall making it manifold.

Last edited:
It just hit me why the D1 skullfort was so easy to work with, its the .obj from Crimmson 's Destiny pep thread (that's the one that kept filling in 3D builder). I have been working on the D2 one and just couldn't remember where I got the model cause it worked out so well. So... really good work on the D1 Skullfort, if the D2 one doesn't work out, that's my backup.

You have the shield brother gauntlets too... man your thread is awesome.

EDIT: Would anyone be willing to look at my blender file? I am having some issues removing the last bits. There a lot of intersecting and overlapping faces where pieces overhang or overlap I am not sure how to remove.
EDIT 2: Oh boy, this file is a mess... I may need to redo it first

Last edited:
It just hit me why the D1 skullfort was so easy to work with, its the .obj from Crimmson 's Destiny pep thread (that's the one that kept filling in 3D builder). I have been working on the D2 one and just couldn't remember where I got the model cause it worked out so well. So... really good work on the D1 Skullfort, if the D2 one doesn't work out, that's my backup.

You have the shield brother gauntlets too... man your thread is awesome.

EDIT: Would anyone be willing to look at my blender file? I am having some issues removing the last bits. There a lot of intersecting and overlapping faces where pieces overhang or overlap I am not sure how to remove.
EDIT 2: Oh boy, this file is a mess... I may need to redo it first

I believe Daschlenn and SavedbyGraceG12 unfolded a lot of the destiny stuff. Are you on xbone? My gt is clownpuncher77 on xbone. I dont get home for another week though.

Also what problems are you having with your model? Got any pics?

I am actually getting help with the model over on the 3d model request thread. and Yes, I am on Xbone, though I am kinda shy around new people. gt is KnavishPlum169

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back