Detailing?

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by HostileGrady, Oct 13, 2018.

1. HostileGrady

HostileGrady New Member

So I've started my armor and have the helmet finished. I'm wondering how do I sharpen up the edges? It's made from Eva foam and has several curved surfaces and I wanna fix that. K heard about using clay but what kind?

2. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Member

What do you mean by sharpening the edges? Do you mean making them look more clean? Use a sharper knife and take your time. You can also use a dremmel, but when I do detailing, I just add craft foam on top of my piece

3. HostileGrady

HostileGrady New Member

What I meant by sharpening edges is where the foam bends to make say the chin section of the helmet. It's curved and rouned compared to an angle.

4. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Got a pic of the piece in question? Could use make a craft foam skin or smear on bondo & sand it. Clay tends to crumble, shrink and crack in my experience.

5. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

Welcome to cosplay armour building, grab your mandatory sanding tools.

The best way to round out sharp edges is with a sander of some sort. For large open areas I use a belt sander, for more difficult to approach sections I use a rotary tool with a flexible shaft attachment. You can also use things like sanding sponges, sandpaper, sanding twigs or in worst case scenario a craft knife to trim down excess.

Foam Clay is what I think you were talking about for additive smoothing, Foam Putty is also an option for gap filling and surface smoothing. I've only played with a sample pack of Foam Clay so I'm by no means an expert but it's pretty fun. Foam Putty is magic.

BeeBoy likes this.
  6. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Well-Known Member

Check this videos out. They might help you.

TurboCharizard likes this.
  7. HostileGrady

HostileGrady New Member

Just watched it five minvutes before checking my thread it did help a lot. I think my problem is a combination of not enough taken out of the "V" shape and not enough heat treatment. I'm going to apply this when I get a chance to and hopefully can correct my past mistakes on it to make it a bit better looking. Would you also by chance know a good way to make a visor?

8. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

I like my 4" x 36" belt sander for this. I dont like the foam suits usually have 90* edges on everything. With my sander I can make even bevel edges or radius edges with ease.

PaiganBoi and TurboCharizard like this.
  9. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Well-Known Member

Pffft... you and your fancy toys. :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

10. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

Wait until the Christmas sales at Home Depot or Canadian Tire and you can pick one up for like $100. Or surf your local Used{city}.ca

PaiganBoi likes this.
  11. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

PaiganBoi It was a bit spendy. $80 I think .I asked it for Christmas last year in anticipation of foam smithing. I sprung for the silicon carbide sanding belts too and I'm glad I did. I love the finish on it. No more dremel sanding and if I cut something crooked I just sand it straight. Oh and it helps cutting two pieces the same size as I can sand them together. It does make a mess though.

PaiganBoi and TurboCharizard like this.