Painting and achieving realistic details/shading/weathering

ArckyKun

Hey armorsmiths!

I'm fairly new to the game and currently working on a 3d printed ODST suit. I have my helmet printed off in PLA and assembled and sanded down to get rid of the layer lines, and am to the point of applying paint and such, and am wondering about painting and detailing process you guys use to get such awesome visual results, because a lot of you guys' armor looks incredible! Wondering on general painting process from sanded pla piece to finish state, any specific brands/products you swear by, and what methods you use for detailing/weathering/shading! I've got the printing portion down, but I'm a total newb when it comes to paint.

I truly appreciate any insight into your techniques/process!

For PLA in my experience prepping it for paint is key. Just a light scuff & then spot putty if you have a lot of layer lines, I’ve sanded it until smooth afterward. Applying the Rustoleum filler primer so you can see your imperfections (Krylons filler primer in my experience hasn’t been the best). Although this is my method there’s is a lot of different ways for you to find success lol best of luck! Hopefully this helps with the prep part

bondo spot putty and automotive filler primer are my go to! I just use spray paint for all my painting needs. Start with the light colours and work your way to the darker ones, and use tape to mask off the areas you dont want paint. Taping will be like 90% of the work, the actual painting is easy. For weathering I brush on watered down paint, usually 50% paint 50% water, and then dab the excess off with a rag. This leaves paint in the crevases where dirt would collect if the helmet were actually worn. I also dry-brush silver paint on the edges to create the effect of chipped-paint.

For PLA in my experience prepping it for paint is key. Just a light scuff & then spot putty if you have a lot of layer lines, I’ve sanded it until smooth afterward. Applying the Rustoleum filler primer so you can see your imperfections (Krylons filler primer in my experience hasn’t been the best). Although this is my method there’s is a lot of different ways for you to find success lol best of luck! Hopefully this helps with the prep part
Thanks for the info! It honestly helps a lot

bondo spot putty and automotive filler primer are my go to! I just use spray paint for all my painting needs. Start with the light colours and work your way to the darker ones, and use tape to mask off the areas you dont want paint. Taping will be like 90% of the work, the actual painting is easy. For weathering I brush on watered down paint, usually 50% paint 50% water, and then dab the excess off with a rag. This leaves paint in the crevases where dirt would collect if the helmet were actually worn. I also dry-brush silver paint on the edges to create the effect of chipped-paint.
This answered most of what i was questioning and gives a pretty solid painting process, thanks for the assist!

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back