DFT SMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallen

Community Staff
Member DIN
S922
As I was working on a speed build for Halloween this year, I realized that I didn't have any weapon props prepared. Well, thanks to Andrew DFT that changed. This was my first time doing a weapon, and even moreso, my first attempt at using EVA foam for something besides super simple shapes.

To find the first part of the tutorial click here.

First was of course cutting out the basic shape for the gun. There's a link with the video to download the templates, and as many of you who have done DFT tutorials know, you just keep breaking about the templates as you go.

Here we have the majority of the gun being done with some detail work. My bevels need some work, so I plan on trying my hand at another one of these.
I also went out and bought a blade sharpener so that I don't need to go out and purchase new blades all of the time.

2016-10-27 22.16.40.jpg2016-10-29 16.52.49.jpg2016-10-29 17.20.51.jpg

After building the silencer as described, I decided that rather than put a chunk of foam in place to hold it, and make it a permanent fixture, decided to add a barrel and make the silencer removable.
Thankfully there was some PVC pipe sitting around, so I just cut a little longer than I needed, used the pipe to bore into the foam, removed, and glued into place.
I then added a foam "donut" to hold the silencer in place when placed over the barrel.

2016-10-29 21.24.38.jpg2016-10-29 21.15.13.jpg

After a quick paint job to have it all finished in time for Halloween. You'll notice the silencer is missing. I didn't like the look of it; all of my paper towel rolls were warped in some way or another, and I felt the foam flashlight to be a cheesy looking. I do plan on making a new silencer using PVC pipe and a real flashlight at some point. I used my dremel to add all of the little circles (there's some missing as I ran out of space... whoops). Overall, I'd say this was an easy build to follow.
2016-11-15 06.18.42.jpg2016-11-15 06.18.33.jpg

Bonus: Here's an image of the speed build, a Marine made of a combo of pepakura and foam. I spend a little less than a month to put this together, so there were some sacrifices to be made with detailing and weathering.

2016-11-04 21.28.28.jpg

For a simple design, DFTs SMG is amazing :O
Looks really good! I like how the silencer is removable, and lucky for you as you needed it to be :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back