New member, start of a build

SeaSickle

Hey everyone! I joined after talking to the members who were representing the 405th at the Kansas City Comic Con. I have not made anything prop or cosplay related before, but I've begun my own Great Journey towards making a suit of my own. Specifically, a set of ODST armor and armaments.

To start off my journey, I printed the Halo 3 ODST SMG from Galactic Armory. I haven't done much beyond print and test fitment. No sanding or anything yet. I just had to share because I was excited.

20240526_163959.jpg

I still have to get the lens for the red dot. I'm not sure if I want to get the rest of the equipment I need to print it in resin (I only have a resin print, and no ventilation or wash/cure station.), or if I want to just order the part from someone/somewhere.

But that's where I am! Pretty excited to continue this journey as time is available. Will post updates when there are new things to update on.

It is a pleasure to be here and meet everyone!

That looks like its ready for paint, you said its a raw print? FDM or resin? For the red dot, I would suggest some form of thin clear plastic cut to shape and add the dot. You can buy petg sheets, or could even repurpose something else like a clear food container or soda bottle is $ is tight. Also, welcome and I look forward to seeing more.

That looks like its ready for paint, you said its a raw print? FDM or resin? For the red dot, I would suggest some form of thin clear plastic cut to shape and add the dot. You can buy petg sheets, or could even repurpose something else like a clear food container or soda bottle is $ is tight. Also, welcome and I look forward to seeing more.
Yeah, it's a raw print. The processing is mostly in small patches, or interface parts, where I want to get the parts more closely aligned.

I hadn't thought of the PETG sheet. I'll have to look into that.

Hey everyone! I joined after talking to the members who were representing the 405th at the Kansas City Comic Con. I have not made anything prop or cosplay related before, but I've begun my own Great Journey towards making a suit of my own. Specifically, a set of ODST armor and armaments.

To start off my journey, I printed the Halo 3 ODST SMG from Galactic Armory. I haven't done much beyond print and test fitment. No sanding or anything yet. I just had to share because I was excited.

View attachment 348952

I still have to get the lens for the red dot. I'm not sure if I want to get the rest of the equipment I need to print it in resin (I only have a resin print, and no ventilation or wash/cure station.), or if I want to just order the part from someone/somewhere.

But that's where I am! Pretty excited to continue this journey as time is available. Will post updates when there are new things to update on.

What's up!!! Future ODST fam!!! What resin printer do you have? Also hoping your being safe, I heard resin produces fumes

What's up!!! Future ODST fam!!! What resin printer do you have? Also hoping your being safe, I heard resin produces fumes
I have the Anycubic Photon S, and an upgraded screen I have yet to install. Yeah, I've had it for probably a year, but haven't had the need to delve into setting up the safety equipment, so it's just been sitting. My friend didn't want it anymore, so I bought it from him for $50.

View attachment 348952

Good stuff! I am also just getting into this, but I haven't started yet. If you don't mind me asking, what size printer did you use?

What are the dimensions of your smg? I have no clue how big to scale mine lol.
I didn't scale it. I just printed the files straight from Galactic Armory. I can measure it for you later, though.

Edit: I guess what I mean is that I don't know if mine is lore accurate.

Last edited:
I didn't scale it. I just printed the files straight from Galactic Armory. I can measure it for you later, though.

Edit: I guess what I mean is that I don't know if mine is lore accurate.
Ah ok. The file I have is really small at 100% for some reason so idk how much bigger to make it. Any information about the size of yours or anyone else's would help so thanks lol.

Ah ok. The file I have is really small at 100% for some reason so idk how much bigger to make it. Any information about the size of yours or anyone else's would help so thanks lol.
I press-fit the SMG together and the length is almost exactly 27". I'm not sure if that is accurate or not.

Just printed a clutch of ODST grenades. Now to sand, prime, and paint. Guess it's time to hit the painting section of the forum! (The paint will actually probably have to wait, since tropical storm Beryl is just dumping storms on St. Louis for the next couple days.

Attachments

• 20240709_171620.jpg
    20240709_171620.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240709_171715.jpg
    20240709_171715.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 19
Update! I have the helmet printed. I switched to Aguilar's set, because I liked the idea of the attachment style better, plus he was running a sale. So the next step is to size the armor and start printing feet up.

I plan to practice sanding and painting on the grenades, since they're easier/cheaper to reprint if messed up.

I realize I havent stated my goal for this armor. I'm hoping to be lore accurate as much as possible, but if not, it won't break my heart. The ultimate goal is to finish it. If I need to take liberties to do that, I will. I can always go back and fix/improve it.

I hope to have this completed in time for TORG this year.

Attachments

• 20240712_194442.jpg
    20240712_194442.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240712_194451.jpg
    20240712_194451.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240713_004011.jpg
    20240713_004011.jpg
    954.7 KB · Views: 12

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back