Diablo 3: Spear of Valor (WiP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djinn

Jr Member
frontfaceglovehalf%20%28Medium%29.png

Shooting for the stars on this one, not at all Halo related.. but you guys love a good build thread right?. I fell in love with the armor design immediately when I started D3, after a lot of thinking and planning.. I decided to try my best at doing a recreation justice.
I will be attempting to make the armor look like the cinematic version as closely as possible (all that extra detail), but to get a solid base to work from I ripped the ingame model of Imperius to use for scale and probably pep work.
fullfrontmodel.png

Thankfully they appear to have made the ingame model almost exactly the same as the cinematic one shape wise - score for me.
After ripping the armor apart and scaling it to my height (5'10", so final height of 6'3") I decided to first build Solarian, the spear Imperius uses in all of his confrontations. I am basing it off of the model below
solariansidewithtexture.png

This model has both the open and closed versions, though the closed version only has one blade and it doesnt close at the tip.. hmm.. I decided to just make the open version used in his confrontation in act IV.

I .. am trying something new. I got a nice chunk of expanded PVC (Sintra/Komatex) at 3/4th inch thickness, and cut the shapes out of that stuff with a bandsaw and willpower.
CIMG0319%20%28Medium%29.JPG

The spear is scaled to the same scale I'm setting the armor too, and should match it perfectly. This means the spear will be about 6'8" when completed, for my own sanity I will probably cut that down to 6'5". Just these blade heads are over 2 feet long all ready. Awww yeah.
CIMG0322%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Traced on my guides for the edge, and got ready for a long day of sanding..
CIMG0324%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG0325%20%28Medium%29.JPG

A couple hours of random orbit sanding and angle grinding later.. this stuff was a lot tougher then I expected and it took ages. I still have some cleanup to do to even out the edge, and lots of cleanup everywhere else, but not bad for a first run.

Sanded down the other blade half and cleaned up a bunch of little problems with the edges/made everything straight. I need to get some primer on these so I can see the darn things, white was a poor choice.
CIMG0330%20%28Large%29.JPG

CIMG0331%20%28Large%29.JPG

These things are actually worryingly sharp, I might have to blunt then down if I ever want to.. you know.. bring them out in public.

Started on the middle part of the head as well, going to be sculpting the 8 pointed star onto that middle section. The inner blades will probably be 1/4th inch Sintra.
CIMG0337%20%28Large%29.JPG

More progress soon friends! Maybe they will let me out of the noob section when I'm finished with this one ; ;

Thanks Bulb!

First off, some reference shots (Oh what I would have done for a clear side profile shot .. alas)
solarianhead.png

solarianhead2.png

Not messing around with the detail on this one. Using screenshots from the cinematics I drew up this pattern for the head detailing. This is going to be.. interesting.. to make, as the spikes will be curving down the sloped sides of the round bit.
CIMG0371%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG0369%20%28Large%29.JPG

More progress soon!

Let the detail work begin!
.. I think for my own sanity I am going to try casting this piece when its done.. because the idea of making two of them is a bit soul crushing.
comp%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Wow, that's just looking sweet. I was thinking about trying to go for Itherael if I can find some decent reference pics and the time. Just looks awesome can't wait to see more. Way to go.

Great work so far can't wait to see it with more work done. But quick question, how are you gonna do the double edge on the right blade from the tip in the first reference pic? Just curious.

I like this build. If you need a Diablo head, I have his whole body, but I unfolded his head, so you could use it as a trophy kill. If you would like the file, it is already pepped, and unfolded. I can share it with you for your build. I think having Diablo's head to carry around would really complete this costume build. Great job!

Great work so far can't wait to see it with more work done. But quick question, how are you gonna do the double edge on the right blade from the tip in the first reference pic? Just curious.

That extra edge is not a part of the weapon, nor is the double circular part. When you view the 3d model of Imperius is has 2 versions of Solarian, the open and closed version. For some reason the closed version only shows one of the blades, and both models of the spear are ontop of one another in that screen. Look at the CGI pictures for a preview of what I'm doing.

Thanks Grimm, but I couldn't rightfully do that considering I got my ass handed to me by Diablo on multiple occasions.

Some minor progress, was working really a lot this week.
CIMG0379%20%28Medium%29.JPG

One of the inner blades, this is about 4 inches long.

Ok thanks for explaining, and I dont know anything really about the game but I can tell your doing a great job so I wish the best of luck to you.

Not quite as minor progress update, been working all day today.

CIMG0384%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Trying out an idea I had with the star shape, I was initially going to use a styrene flat base and build a framework and then apoxie sculpt the shape onto the star.. but I decided to try something else after staring at it for awhile.

CIMG0386%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Pattern traced and cut out of 1/4th thick Sintra

CIMG0387%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Mission mostly successful! I was able to sand the sintra down into a nice edge creating the 3d effect I wanted. This did not take a small amount of time.

CIMG0390%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG0392%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Cut out the center with an exacto (urgg) and started sanding the little teeth to shape, they fit quite nicely in the little spots I cut for them. There is a lot of cleanup to do on this part before I (probably) cast it, but I'm optimistic it will work for what I need =D

I get to put it all together soon and do detailing! Hooray, the fun part is starting!

CIMG0395%20%28Medium%29.JPG

This is by far the busiest weapon I've ever attempted.

Man, I wish I had a hold of some of that sintra, I miss working with it but it is a real pain! You're doing a great job on this, keep it up. :)

Made some good progress this morning. I finally finished sanding the star/mount to a place I'm happy with, and since I didn't have any silicone to make a mold or money to buy said silicone.. I tried something new and made a high heat 1mm pull of both objects.

CIMG0406%20%28Medium%29.JPG

I then cut a rough circle around these and unceremoniously poured the cheapest fiberglass resin I could find into the "molds". I did this twice and...

CIMG0408%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Rough and ready! After a bit of cleanup sanding and tinkering, I throw a coat of primer on them.

CIMG0409%20%28Medium%29.JPG

I also added the detailing to the blades, as there is a raised ridge and a wing shape coming out of the bottom in the cinematics.. I havent finished sanding this bit down yet but its very close. I am pretty excited by how this is turning out.
CIMG0411%20%28Medium%29%20%282%29.JPG

CIMG0414%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Tonight I'm going to finish sanding it all down and prime the whole thing.. then tomorrow I get to attach the blades and everything else to the spears shaft - it will finally come together tomorrow! HURRAH.

That just look great, you've really done fantastic job with the accuracy. What's the weight like overall? Can't wait to see it in one piece.

LIKE A BOSS
I love the character Imperius and I finally see someone working on the armor. All I gotta say is: this is pretty legit. Good work so far my friend. My only question is will you make the weapon somehow glow a white color for angelic effect or keep it regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back