Disney buys Lucasfilm for 4 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayAndhek

Yes you read that right. Disney purchased Lucasfilm, along with the rights to all LF properties (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ILM, Skywalker Sound etc..) for 4 billion and some change with equal parts cash and Disney stock.

George Lucas will stay on with the company as a consultant and the woman that Lucasfilm had chosen to helm the company will be transferring her flag to the Disney camp as the President of the company within Disney and rumors have her as the EP of the new Star Wars film due in 2015!

Not only that - but there will be two more Star Wars films after that - completing a new trilogy - and then there will be more Star Wars every two or three years "into the foreseeable future" according to Disney.

I cant wait to start seeing spoilers coming out of this! Apparently the new movie is already in development.

This isnt a joke

I know that this doesn't belong here - but I cant create a thread in any other forum. So can a MOD please move this to the General Discussion forum please.

Thanks!

I personally really liked the prequel trilogy (don't hate), but I'm just gonna say that this will probably be one of the worst things ever. of all time. really.

Nobody wants this! Absolutely nobody wants this! All I want is Halo 4!

I'm excited about it Disney has done a good job since taking over marvel. The Avengers was great and now we have Star Wars VII and Avengers 2 coming out in 2015. Between owning Marvel Studios and Lucasfilms Disney has the rights to a a lot of the most popular franchises in movie history. Plus they also have their own movies some of the highest grossing animated stuff ever not to mention the Pirates of the Caribbean and National Treasure franchises. So here's my advice buy Disney stock.

God kill me now. its like indiana jones 4 all over again. if it aint broke dont fix it, and you should quit while you're ahead. fricken disney goin around buying crap cause its popular and trying to squeeze money from it.

My biggest concern, with Disney and their draconian licensing, are the people making and selling Stormtrooper Armor kits and the like. I wonder how long until they receive cease & desist orders and the Mouse begins producing crappy TK kits for twice the cost.

IJ 4 wasn't as bad as it could have been and ill admit the Marvel movies have been awesome but 'i have a bad feeling about this...' (couldn't help myself). I mean what characters would really be able to carry over to link it to the series other than the droids? While yes that might be enough for some, it isn't for me. I just don't wanna see a slightly generic storyline that is only related to the franchise by having lightsabers and the the Star Wars name. Maybe they could turn KOTOR into a film, I don't know. If they do it well, great I just don't wanna see Star Wars end up like Police Academy or Lipn King. Sequeal after sequeal for the sake of it. But that's just my opinion.

My biggest concern, with Disney and their draconian licensing, are the people making and selling Stormtrooper Armor kits and the like. I wonder how long until they receive cease & desist orders and the Mouse begins producing crappy TK kits for twice the cost.

I don't think that's going to be a problem. The 501st has nothing to worry about - being a charity organization - and I really don't think the Stormtrooper armor guys will get C&d's. they never got any from LFL and they are (were) almost a bad as Disney.

Disney owns the Marvel rights and none of the Iron Man builders are getting C&D orders. TK kits are probably not on Disney's board - too high end an item with too small a market. As long as the builders keep the runs smallish and keep the product out of a retail store I think that the Disney bam hammer will have much bigger fish to fry - and that would be REALLY bad publicity for them to crack down on fan made armor - especially if they go after the 501st.

Just my thoughts.

Frankly I'm excited for the new trilogy.

Sent from my iPhone5 using mind control!

At least Lucas won't be in charge of it.

IE:

Jar Jar, Young Anakin, Medichlorians, Everything else in the prequels...

At least Lucas won't be in charge of it.

IE:

Jar Jar, Young Anakin, Medichlorians, Everything else in the prequels...

the prequels were starwars for kids, thus jarjar, young anakin, and everything else in the prequels. If it wasn't for the prequels I might not have been as big a fan as I am, so bash Lucas all you want for introducing starwars to a whole new generation. The problem I see with this is that Disney, to me, is horrible when it comes to things like respecting fan bases and other demographics. they take whats "hip and cool" and make money of it. They haven't put that much effort into many of their shite since the original animation movies.

That is exactly what Lucas did with the prequels.

He trashed an established history built up by his own original three movies and all of the books that required his personal approval before being published, stepped on the entire fanbase (greedo, vader screaming no when he kills palaptine, revoicing boba fett, adding dancing robots and animals to every scene, midichlorians) and added a bunch of "hip and cool" garbage (dual wielding overly acrobatic sword fights, jarjar) so he could monetize as much as possible off the franchise with a minimum level of effort. I understand that the new animated stuff has a lot of appeal to youngsters, my neighbor's kids eat it up, but the writing, the acting, cinematography, and the storyline are sacrificed to make it more flashy and supposedly give it more mass appeal beyond "nerds" by watering it down.

That is exactly what Lucas did with the prequels.

He trashed an established history built up by his own original three movies and all of the books that required his personal approval before being published, stepped on the entire fanbase (greedo, vader screaming no when he kills palaptine, revoicing boba fett, adding dancing robots and animals to every scene, midichlorians) and added a bunch of "hip and cool" garbage (dual wielding overly acrobatic sword fights, jarjar) so he could monetize as much as possible off the franchise with a minimum level of effort. I understand that the new animated stuff has a lot of appeal to youngsters, my neighbor's kids eat it up, but the writing, the acting, cinematography, and the storyline are sacrificed to make it more flashy and supposedly give it more mass appeal beyond "nerds" by watering it down.

Bingo. And the "remastered" editions of Star Wars pretty much prove that point.
Especially with them trying to be "politically" correct, and making Greedo shoot first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back