distortion repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzsel

Hi everyone,
On my current build I have come across some unwanted dents in my helmet.
I'm thinking about correcting the dents using superglue and magnets.
I'll post the progress.

Has anyone ever tried to reapir dents?

Also I'll be trying to repair warp using cardboard.

What do you mean exactly by dents, what is your helmet made out of, is it finished, painted, fiberglassed, bondoed, rondoed, molded? If you give us more information, we will be able to help you out!

Hi Akademee,

it's a pep in progress. So at the moment it's made of paper.
I've fixed my dents and distiortions.
And I'd like to share how I did.

First of all, I was tired of re-peppin pieces.
I don't have a lot of time so my projects are slowy progressing.
Being a father and having kids sometimes things get a dent.
Here's my (I think new) way of straightning and stiffening the pieces along the way.

For starters I have reprinted the dented piece. The newly printed piece is used as a template for cutting cardstock or cardboard. I don't mnow woch is woch but the point is that it's really stiff.
Then I get a potato chip package and cut out the same piece but a bit bigger than the orginal.
Next I wrap the p.c.p. over the piece of cardboard then I apply quite a lot of quick drying glue.
CAREFULL don't get stuck !!
then I place the other pcp wrapped piece on the warped piece and clamp both pieces together with the dented piece.

Give it some time.

pull out the cardboard pieces.
Voila !
You know have a perfectly straight slightly stiffend piece.

(I'll post some pictures soon.)
Press ENTER to look up in Wiktionary or CTRL+ENTER to look up in Wikipedia

Yeah, I've got to say that although your idea worked, having dents in the pepakura, especially the UN-RESINED pepakura, is almost a given. Just in the future, this may help you out a bit in that it is a lot less complicated and is fully backed up by the site and other forum posts:

Take the pep piece and support the paper inside however you can (little struts that make the pep less flimsy, like Popsicle sticks of rolled up paper)

Resin the outside, fiberglass the inside
Place bondo on the "dent" or any flat surface for that matter,
Sand the dickens out of it until it is level with the rest of the part and/or sand to the curve you want

I am glad that your method worked, the only thing that I am concerned about is how you tried to fix it while it was still only paper...

You can't exactly trust that whatever you fixed in pep will turn out after resining and fiberglassing, because that sometimes causes small bits to sag or warp (this is minimized by adding supports, like above). But if I can strengthen and round/level a piece in essentially two steps, I am all for it...

I would try this method here, it is the gold standard for nearly all of us Pep workers and is only as complicated as going to Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, or Costco...

I hope your armor turned out well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back