Do i need a respirator for bondo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on where you working with it. If it's outside, you can just use a regular old dust mask, but if it's in a garage, I'd recommend a respirator. These kind of chemicals can cause nausea, headaches, etc, and long exposure can cause nerve damage and death.

Outside or Inside Wear a respirator. I actually am good with biology and chemistry so I know extacly what will happens when you breath in the fumes. When you breath them in even outside, the particles permanently stay in your lungs. Wear a respirator. And if you dont have experience with chemicals such as resin then do not recomend whether someone should or should not wear a respirator.

i just resined my helmet in a shed with no respirator and Im not dead.
Wait! whats this thing growing out my back!

I recently resined and fiberglassed my helmet in my kitchen whitch is about 10'x8' and im fine.I didnt use any kind of mask.I had no nausea headache or anything else.But my house still smells like resin.

Deadandbroken said:
I recently resined and fiberglassed my helmet in my kitchen whitch is about 10'x8' and im fine.I didnt use any kind of mask.I had no nausea headache or anything else.But my house still smells like resin.

Funny thing about nervous system damage... you never feel it... you just get more and more numb.

ANYONE telling people not to wear a respirator is gonna get whacked with a rolled up newspaper.

BAD DOG!!!!

WHAT DID YOU DO?

ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS SAFETY RECOMMENDATIONS. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always use a resperator.

Bondo smells really freaking bad, its just the particles when sanding that are dangerous, but where one anyways.

I wasn't telling him not to use anything at all, i was just saying if he was outside in his backyard or something that he can use something lighter. A dust mask should be quite effective in filtering out any fumes if there is adequate ventilation. But I wasn't aiming to tell him not to use a respirator. But in any case, I would recommend a respirator no matter the environment.

Even though I use just a dust mask when I'm working outside with resin and Bondo, I'm still quite healthy, but just to be safe from now on I will use a respirator at all times.

Sorry if there were any misunderstandings.

This will be my last warning before I officially realize how unsafe some people are.

WEAR A FRICKIN RESPIRATOR WHEN USING ANY DAMN CHEMICAL. RESIN IS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY EXTREMELY EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS. DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE TELLING YOU TO NOT WEAR ONE AND WEAR JUST A DUST MASK. NERVOUS SYSTEM DAMAGE IS THE WORST THING YOU CAN EVER HAVE, YES, EVEN WORSE THAN CANCER. YOU MIGHT BE FINE RIGHT NOW BUT IN 30 YEARS YOU WILL BE SO SCREWED UP THAT YOU CANT MOVE AROUND. PLEASE WEAR ONE. THIS NEEDS TO BE KNOWN SO THAT INEXPERIENCED PEOPLE DONT RECIEVE OR GIVE OUT BAD INFORMATION. BONDO CONTAINS CHEAP RESIN, RESIN HAS HARMFUL CHEMICALS THAT CAN AND WILL DAMAGE YOUR BODY. YOU CAN EVEN GET CANCER AS WELL.

This is what resin will do to you with no respirator and even with a dust mask

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mXO6khqGKE

the description says what antipsychotic drugs do, but its nervous system damage and nervous system damage is nervous system damage, it does not change.

Edit- oh and also nervous system damage not only affects movement but in some cases inflicts pain, yes PAIN.

Spartan 169 said:
A dust mask should be quite effective in filtering out any fumes if there is adequate ventilation.

This is why I clarify for everybody. A dust mask does NOT filter out fumes.... only dust. Only a cartige filter approves for fumes and vapors can filter the resin fumes.

No prob dude. I just want to make sure that no one misunderstands...

I probly do have damage from it but ive breathed in stuff thats alot worse.I'm not sayin not to use a mask I'm just saying I didnt get sick or anything.If i have nervous system damage and i cant feel it or get numb to it does it matter?LOL

and where would one come accross such a thing.... i was doing all my resining out side with a dust mask.. is this not enough??? where would i get one and how much will it lighten my wallet??

For all who need to know:

Get a respirator... one that filters dust and fumes out of the air you're breathing. Anything else won't do the job.

One like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100074692

db6926c7-bfaf-490d-8c81-a932f10a2c77_300.jpg

This should be pre-requisite to anybody doing fiberglass and polyester resin work.

To SPARTAN405: Thanks for the warning. I really understand how dangerous this stuff can be. And now I know I shouldn't be giving advice about chemicals...I suck lol. :p That video is quite scary and I understand resin and Bondo can have quite worst effects on you. And thanks for the warnings I'll keep them in mind.

And to Sean Bradley, Thanks for the great info. I'll be sure to be more careful about what I say and what I do/wear while resining from now on.
I'll be sure to tell people to use a respirator at all times near an open can of resin or Bondo no matter where they're using it.

well since there are so many chemicals in the air you should really wear a respirator at all times of the day no joke. but you should settle for using one with any chemicals or fine dusts in close quarters period. that means anywhere where your the one working with or close to such chemicals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back