Does this brand of clay work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
so i was scanning the aisles of a store i normally don't go to for my art supplies when i ran into this....
0115081936.jpg

It's made by the same company that makes what i normally use for silicone molding which is this
0117082231.jpg

Which the package even says it's compatablie with silicone molding compounds,

but this new stuff i found is oil based and non-hardening for modeling as well, but it doesn't say if it's compatable with silicone,
it's a few bucks cheap so i would love to buy it but only if it works with silicone. Does anyone know if this stuff is or not?

Thanks

-Justin

Man if I was you I would e mail VanAken and ask them if claytoon is compatible or not. Just out of curiosity what are you going to be modeling?

baileyboys

Claytoon probably isn't the best for molding helmets.
its more of a movie making clay. If it gets hot its gets really messy and stuff.
I wouldn't recommend it.

Spartan 161 said:
Man if I was you I would e mail VanAken and ask them if claytoon is compatible or not. Just out of curiosity what are you going to be modeling?
That's a good plan,
Well i have to re-model my helmet since there was a catastrophe, let's just ssay i tripped and fell on my helmet when i was transporting it,
60+ hours into it, pretty much went to waste. Although i learned a lot so meh,
What i do is pep, resin/fiberglass, and shape with the plasticine oil clay instead of bondo since i only plan to just use the product as a positive mold to make negative molds to cast in plastic,ect. That and i feel like i can achieve greater detail with the clay.
anyhow to answer your question, i am red doing my helmet. Sucks but it must be done.

thanks for the info/idea guys,

-Justin

Last edited by a moderator:

NZTK

I'd say give it a crack, you can never have too much clay. one thing though, if you sculpt with it, only use one colour on the sculpt, trying to sculpt a piece with lots of differing colours makes checking symmetry really difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.