Dragon Priest Mask Sculpt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morphen Jar

Jr Member
Hey guys,

After playing Skyrim nonstop for about 3 weeks, I thought the Dragon Priest masks looked so rad that I decided to sculpt one. Here's some pics of progress to completion:p

8sQ6L.jpg

VvkJf.jpg

0pLZm.jpg

urI1L.jpg

I wouldn't say it's completely complete, but it's to the point where I can't add or smooth much more using a clay medium. I have a shipment of plastic and silicon coming Monday afternoon so I can mold it. I'll probably then gouge out the back so it's wearable and then mold the back as well. Once the first cast is out, I'll smooth out a lot of the marks and errors with high grit sand paper and bondo and maybe add a few details. Then remold the front of course. I may do a run of these if there is interest.

Any comments or critiques on symmetry or areas that may need work would be appreciated. (Know that a lot of the smoothing in places will be left for the sandpaper.

Thanks.

Looks awesome man! Are you planning on doing them all? ;). And did you use Water based clay or something different? Like was based or something? :).

Cheers, Dave.

Looks awesome man! Are you planning on doing them all? ;). And did you use Water based clay or something different? Like was based or something? :).

Cheers, Dave.

Well actually 8 of them are all the same, just different colors which I'm happy about. I used Oil-Based clay I believe called Plastilina which you can order online for about 9 bucks per 2 pounds.

This is looking great! Funny I stumbled upon this because I'm working on one right now as well, and at the moment I'm stuck on the molding method for the mask. How do you intend to mold it? I've got a couple of methods in mind for mine; I'll sketch up diagrams and see if I can get your opinion on them.

I was planning on doing a mold just to do a quick single cast to cleanup. Then mold the finished product in a small box. I had made my first mold last night, came back an hour ago and found that the silicon doesn't agree with the clay I was using. Now I'm stuck with an uncured trash mold and another unusable gallon of it.

I thought silicon didn't work with Paraffin and wax clays, but I guess it doesn't work with oil either. (EDIT: Actually it doesn't work with Sulfur. I should've looked into it more.)

RQ90d.gif

Oh no! Thats awful, that happened with me and a Jun helmet I was working on. The silicone wasn't compatible with the clay. :/
Did the sculpt survive though?

Oh no! Thats awful, that happened with me and a Jun helmet I was working on. The silicone wasn't compatible with the clay. :/
Did the sculpt survive though?

I assume it has made it out alright. I haven't taken it out yet to see since I don't feel like cleaning it off now. I guess I'm gonna have to put a coat of paint, shellac, or something else over the top if I try it again.

yeah silicone doesnt work well with sulpher which is why i always use Chavant's nsp clay because it completely compatible with silicone and can be heated to soften or even melt :D hope your sculpt comes out okay, after seeing it ive been inspired to make one of my own!

So I just took it out. Seems okay except the eyes came out but that was expected. Needs some cleaning and I'm planning on sealing it with some primer. I'm currently wiping off the uncured silicone, but do you think it would be possible to put a sealed sculpt back in the mold and it would cure? Otherwise I'll just have to do a new one.

fDgJ7.jpg

xkAIB.jpg

I thought I might as well update this. I ended up pulling a cast out of the still wet mold which worked fine but the cast had some weird looking patterns on it. It was essentially a mess and I had to sand down and re-bondo practically everything. I gouge out the eyes and made new ones out of bondo and added some more detail on the chin. I still have to cut the left eye slit out and I'm currently add some depth to the back since it was too shallow to fit someone's face completely. After that, I'm planning on placing some of the last details at the top and maybe adding some of my own to the sides since they're pretty bare. Pain in the neck, but I'm getting close.

VEuM7.jpg

EpdXD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back