EDIT first set of armor. what do you gus think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im about 5'7" give or take and about 160lbs, the helmet and chest/backpack seem to be dead on. the arms are what seems to be too fat and long, just by a bit.im thiking maybe ill eliminate the inside armpit area of the bicep pieces and make some padded sleeves kinda like how you see people do the thigh pieces sometimes with that black area. now that i slimmed them up they seem to fit alot better, still alotta trimming to do to keep range of motion once the armors on.

why u doing it on printer paper? if you cant find cardstock at least trace your pieces onto some poster board. im telling ya man, the cardstock is awsome.

MandoMan531 said:
im about 5'7" give or take and about 160lbs, the helmet and chest/backpack seem to be dead on. the arms are what seems to be too fat and long, just by a bit.im thiking maybe ill eliminate the inside armpit area of the bicep pieces and make some padded sleeves kinda like how you see people do the thigh pieces sometimes with that black area. now that i slimmed them up they seem to fit alot better, still alotta trimming to do to keep range of motion once the armors on.

why u doing it on printer paper? if you cant find cardstock at least trace your pieces onto some poster board. im telling ya man, the cardstock is awsome.

I want to do my first helmet on crappy paper so I can see how it's supposed (or not supposed) to look before I decide to spend more money. I'm kinda poor at the moment because I have to buy AP art supplies, donuts, valve oil, and other miscellaneous things for school.

If it turns out well, I'll find a way to harden it without warping it.

As for the rest of the armor pieces that I could possibly make, I'm a little worried about the chest armor cuz I'm a girl. I don't know what that'll end up like.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the chest piece will work out fine.it can always be adjusted smaller by trimming it and theres a good amount of room under it.

yea i know what its like to be poor lol, but seriously once you can, buy as much cardstock as you can afford .

MandoMan531 said:
i think the chest piece will work out fine.it can always be adjusted smaller by trimming it and theres a good amount of room under it.

yea i know what its like to be poor lol, but seriously once you can, buy as much cardstock as you can afford .

I just bought a pack of 150 sheets of 110lb cardstock at wal-mart for 5.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a little update for you guys, i picked some stuff up at the store on saturday...

Picture099.jpg

started resining the helmet

Picture101.jpg

Picture106.jpg

2 layers of cloth and resin on the inside plus a thin layer of fiber reinforced filler

Picture112.jpg

Picture113.jpg

Picture114.jpg

the helmet fit my head almost prefectly, the last layer will be a smooth-drying substance. im thinking ill sand this down ad use a thick gelcoat. just pour it in the helmet and tilt the helmet around to coat the whole thing then all thats left is padding. then i can start onthe outside. ive also been putting thin layers of resin on the outside as i work on other stuff.

i also want to add a fan or 2, but im not sure how. i checked the sticky on LED's but couldnt find any fan info. also i have a little suprise for this helm that will be awesome if it turns out good.

also got the right leg and foot done, its a little big i think. my question is do you think i can get away with trimming it down or would it throw everthing off? i think i can get it trimmed enough for range of motion but im not sue if it would make it look funny. i dont want to scale it down because the width of the leg peices fit my leg perfectly, theyre just a bit long.

Picture111.jpg

Picture108.jpg

Picture109.jpg

holy long post!

pic of the under visor detail i just worked out. what do you guys think? i used referenced of the Halo 2 helmet and used the cover of the new OXM Magazine, with the Chief on it. you can barely see the detail in the pic but i think i nailed it. this piece will be made in 2 parts out of Sintra to give the recessed look of the panels. the outer panel will be green to match the armor and the inner will be dark gray. i may even make the "vents" functional.

anyways, suggestions are welcome.

Picture115.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back