edwardjlw's Halo 4 Master Chief - Scratch build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love everything of your armor! And I'm impressed by the colors you've chosen. What kind of color did you use for the "black wash"? acrylic? watercolors? not spray, right?

This is very impressive! And to think cardboard is and option too! How did you get it to look accurate when you put it on, I mean up to scale.

Thank you! Not quite sure what you mean, but I got the details and accuracy by layering on craft foam. I scaled it pretty much off the top of my head as I was building ;p; :)

Wow, haven't been to over to look at this build in a while... And man does it look good! When I first saw your build, I seriously questioned to use of cardboard, as it can get really flimsy or bad looking when it's painted, and if it isn't done right you can still see the texture. Looking at it now, I can't even tell parts of it are cardboard. It's looking great, and I hope you have a good time at supernova. Keep up the good work!

Thanks man! means a lot! And yeah, I used cardboard because it's cheap and what I've worked with in the past, however I don't think it's well suited to armour. If I do another costume in the future, it'll either be foam or pep, but I've still learnt a lot from making this one, and it still looks pretty good. :)

I love everything of your armor! And I'm impressed by the colors you've chosen. What kind of color did you use for the "black wash"? acrylic? watercolors? not spray, right?

Cheers! Actually, you'd be surprised to hear I used regular matte black spray to get the blackwash. Just spray some on in a little area, then smudge/wipe it with a cloth or sponge.

Well guys, I'm heading off for a few days, but luckily when I get back I'll have a relatively not busy week to work on things. See you all then :)

ok first off im not a big fan of halo 4 but holy s...t this thread in nice i love scratch builds with a passion honestly this is one nice thread great job man ive done some builds like this but it was small stuff like my bolters for war hammer witach came out great time consuming but really nice . keeep up the good work man and hey could you pm me the exact info on your leds and resistors please thank you and again man keep it up this website needs more members like you bro

Cheese-whiz! This is amazing. That paint job on the helmet.... I wish I could do that. Unfortunately, I've never battle damaged before and I'm too scared I'll mess it up to try it. Anyways! Amazing work, can't wait to see it finished.

ok first off im not a big fan of halo 4 but holy s...t this thread in nice i love scratch builds with a passion honestly this is one nice thread great job man ive done some builds like this but it was small stuff like my bolters for war hammer witach came out great time consuming but really nice . keeep up the good work man and hey could you pm me the exact info on your leds and resistors please thank you and again man keep it up this website needs more members like you bro

Thanks for your praise, and yeah there's always been something about scratch building that's always appealed to me more, despite being way more time consuming and, depending on quality, less accurate. Maybe it's the fact that I can truly call it my own :) anyway I'd be more than happy to send some of the specifics on my LEDs and what not but it'll have to wait till around Tuesday as I'm away at the moment.

Cheese-whiz! This is amazing. That paint job on the helmet.... I wish I could do that. Unfortunately, I've never battle damaged before and I'm too scared I'll mess it up to try it. Anyways! Amazing work, can't wait to see it finished.

:D thank you! I'm sure with a little practice, you could do a paint job like that! Just read and watch some tutorials (Adam Grumbo has a few, and I used a very similar technique to him), maybe do a practice piece and just go for it. The best part about paint is if you screw it up, just let it dry, paint your base colour over the top and try again! :)

Cheers guys :)

Hey guys! I'm back :)

Well, it's been a long time in the making. Three months ago I started this project, but at last my armour is (mostly) complete! It's all painted, padded and fitted, and ready to wear to supanova later today. It's still not entirely finished, as I've had a very busy few weeks and getting the undersuit completed to a standard that I'm happy with wouldn't have been possible. I was able to finish up painting my assault rifle, so at least I'll have a weapon to take with me :)

Overall, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. There are a lot of things I'd do differently next time, but I think the armour looks quite nice for a first attempt and next time round I'll take what I've learnt onboard. I'll get some proper pics of me all suited up either later on today or tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy myself, sweating it out in a hot, bulky suit on a warm day in a large, crowded convention centre :p

See ya guys, be back with a proper update soon :)

As a scratch builder this is amazing. You are so much better than me! I'm contemplating on what armor I should do for my scratch cardboard build and this definitely makes me want to do master chief!

Hello all, back with some more pics!

What an amazing Sunday I had at Supanova last weekend! Everything was really well done, from the setup, to the events, to the cosplay. So much fun! :D

I got there fairly early and suited up, then did a bit of a test run. Lucky I did, as I discovered a few things that required a little maintenance (mainly the shins - they kept falling down!). Nothing that couldn't be fixed with sharpies, safety pins and some good ol' fashioned double-sided tape.

The reactions I got to the costume were incredible. So many crazed halo fans and fellow cosplayers complimenting me on the costume, and I swear I couldn't walk for more than 10 seconds without someone asking for photos! It's great to be in an environment with loads of people interested in cosplay and stuff like me, talking about methods, build materials and things like that. Even people not in costume get into the spirit of the things!

I should also mention, I decided to enter the cosplay contest and ended up winning the prize of Best Costume in the advanced category! Was very pleased with that result :)

Anyway, onto the pics. Most of these photos feature yours truly, but there were so many other AMAZING costumes not seen in these pics that I'm sure are all up on the supanova facebook page.

IMG_5071_zps01fd48d2.jpg

Suiting up in the car park.

IMG_5072_zps09b94e39.jpg

IMG_5073_zpsd6411f67.jpg

IMG_5077_zps2875c7e1.jpg

Talking with some people who build a more medieval style of armour :)

IMG_5099_zpscb0b91c8.jpg

IMG_5102_zps8df4c480.jpg

Needless to say this costume was pretty impressive. It was great talking to him, and all the other extremely friendly cosplayers, about their work. Everyone was so nice and easy-going.

IMG_5103_zps6866f6a2.jpg

THE DRAGONBORN!!!!

IMG_5089_zps67ad1af8.jpg

Waiting in line for the contest. There a lot of others behind me in the queue not seen here.

IMG_5096_zpsb9293c84.jpg

A (poor quality) shot of me heading onto the stage after they announced that I'd won.

IMG_5105_zps0fafa844.jpg

Some more pics

IMG_5107_zpsaf3e3f7b.jpg

Overall, an amazing day, one which I'll never forget. The atmosphere, chatting with amazing people, all the stuff to check out and collectibles to see (finally got to try out the oculus rift, and got a signed poster from Monty Oum and Jordan Cwierz from RT), and winning the contest was the icing on the cake. For me, just spending the day with other like-minded cosplayers just chilling out and having fun was so worthwhile, and I think I'm hooked on these kind of conventions now! I'll be locking in some tickets for next year for sure!

Well, that's all from me for now. I may get around to taking some high quality pics for one final post on this thread, but I think that this costume is as finished as it's going to get (for now). You'll definitely be seeing me back here in the future with some new builds, and this whole community's really grown on me the last few months. Until next time guys, peace :)

Attachments

• IMG_5071_zps01fd48d2.jpg
    IMG_5071_zps01fd48d2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_5072_zps09b94e39.jpg
    IMG_5072_zps09b94e39.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5073_zpsd6411f67.jpg
    IMG_5073_zpsd6411f67.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_5077_zps2875c7e1.jpg
    IMG_5077_zps2875c7e1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_5099_zpscb0b91c8.jpg
    IMG_5099_zpscb0b91c8.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_5102_zps8df4c480.jpg
    IMG_5102_zps8df4c480.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5103_zps6866f6a2.jpg
    IMG_5103_zps6866f6a2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5089_zps67ad1af8.jpg
    IMG_5089_zps67ad1af8.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_5096_zpsb9293c84.jpg
    IMG_5096_zpsb9293c84.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5105_zps0fafa844.jpg
    IMG_5105_zps0fafa844.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_5107_zpsaf3e3f7b.jpg
    IMG_5107_zpsaf3e3f7b.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 159
Congrats on finishing your build.
Got to say it looks pretty awesome, definitely deserved your prize for best costume.

Got any more plans with this suit / any idea what you will make next?

Will look forward to more updates :)

Very nice job and congrats!

I plan on doing a halo 4 build myself and was wondering what you used as an undersuit?

The girl in post #46 with the steam punk armour is actually my friend in real life hahaha she sent me a photo of your armour it looks super good man I hope to see it in real life my self at a con one day.

That's me in the steampunk outfit lol I was itching to get a photo with you all day at Supanova! Your costume was incredible and grimmjow and some of our other mates are doing some builds so it was good to see one in the flesh :D

That's me in the steampunk outfit lol I was itching to get a photo with you all day at Supanova! Your costume was incredible and grimmjow and some of our other mates are doing some builds so it was good to see one in the flesh :D

I'm Renton117 on here lol

As a scratch builder this is amazing. You are so much better than me! I'm contemplating on what armor I should do for my scratch cardboard build and this definitely makes me want to do master chief!

Thanks for your kind words! I saw one of your helmets and I wouldn't sell yourself short, for a cardboard helm it looked pretty decent! I tried using a similar scratch build technique on my helmet before deciding it wasn't really working for me, but it's all about working with what you've got, and what you prefer working with.

Congrats on finishing your build.
Got to say it looks pretty awesome, definitely deserved your prize for best costume.

Got any more plans with this suit / any idea what you will make next?

Will look forward to more updates :)

Cheers man! This armour's pretty much done, although one day I would like to re visit the undersuit which I didn't get to finish in time for the con. This may be my first spartan build, though I doubt it'll be the last! As far as other projects, I've got a few ideas floating around, like an ODST or spartan 4, and one day a Crysis nanosuit would be fun. For now I'm probably going to hold off on starting anything for a little while until I decide on something I really want to build, but I'd love to have something ready for comic con in April :)

Very nice job and congrats!

I plan on doing a halo 4 build myself and was wondering what you used as an undersuit?

Thanks! The undersuit consists of several parts. I was wearing a love sleeve black shirt, long black pants (both skin tight), and a balaclava. The bits made with the hexagonal pattern are just bits of craft foam I sprayed the texture on to, then glued to the torso piece. I wanted to do more with it (like sew the whole thing with more detail) but unfortunately I couldn't due to time restraints.

The girl in post #46 with the steam punk armour is actually my friend in real life hahaha she sent me a photo of your armour it looks super good man I hope to see it in real life my self at a con one day.

Thanks dude! There's a few cons I'm thinking of heading to next year. Oz comic con in April is one, and I will be heading back to Supanova FO SHO! Hope to see you too :)

Wow had no idea you were on here! It was fantastic seeing you and everyone else who was dressed up, your costume was awesome :D A few others who came up to me mentioned they were working on some halo armour of their own. Anyway thanks for stopping by maybe I'll see you again at a convention next year :p

Cheers guys :)

I can't believe I missed this build! I try to keep an eye open for others who were brave/dumb enough to use cardboard as a base material. Beautiful job! In the end, how did you do the visor and how well can you see through it?

The AR is sharp as well.

Redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back