Electronic Paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthijs

Hey guys. I saw this on TV once (like 6 months ago). Philips is working on "electronic paper", at this point they are almost done with it. It's a screen as flat as a piece of paper.
1038179282.gif

1075149126.jpg

When I saw this on TV, i thought: "Hey! That's usefull to put against your visor". You make it show your shield, ammo. all kinds of stuff (I think).
The screen is like an old gameboy screen, there's no light. So putting it against your visor will not make it a clear visor.
Also this screen is flexible. YOu can bend it, roll it up.
I think it would be expensive, but really cool.
What do you guys think?

Matthijs

EDIT: Here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn10mRyBqAE

Awesome :D. That could work, though who knows how expensive it'll be. Also, why is this in "Armor Related Videos"? I don't see any videos.

Robogenisis said:
Awesome :D. That could work, though who knows how expensive it'll be. Also, why is this in "Armor Related Videos"? I don't see any videos.
I didn't know where to put it.
It doenst really fall in the Creation Discussion, neither the Noob Discussion.
Halo universe is everything about halo and no armor.
So I thought, this is Armor related, only no video but pictures...
But ok, I found a video. It's in the first post now.

Last edited by a moderator:
These will be available to manufacturers first, it's not as though they'll be selling it by the roll for projects.

OLED flexible displays are already confirmed for products like this: http://issmatblog.wordpress.com/2007/06/28...oll-cell-phone/

and is rumored for the PSP 2: http://kotaku.com/gaming/psp/psp2-to-featu...hing-180006.php

So expect to see them in very very expensive devices for a while until the price of manufacturing drops to a level that more developers can work with it. .. than is just until screens like this are all replaced by micro mini laser projectors in portable devices.

Looks interesting! I checked out the E-ink website. They have 2 different prototype kits available in 5" or 6" size for $3000, or a segmented kit for $1500. Who wants to be first?!

I'd hook it up to my xbox 360 and play halo wearing my helmet, that way I am the masterchief

eskimobob said:
I'd hook it up to my xbox 360 and play halo wearing my helmet, that way I am the masterchief
That is actually an awesome idea... virtual reality!

You know, its completely beyond me, why MS haven't released a stereoscopic headset for 360. It doesn't need head tracking, just stereoscopic. Imagine it... it would be so amazing, I know a lot of the graphics effects would look a little funny, bump and normal maps wouldn't translate very well to stereo, I don't think, but still....Id buy one.

Its amazing how fast technology is advancing. I remember buying my 1st gameboy. It was built like a brick and ran on 4 AA batteries. That was about.. 7years ago. But this.. Its Incredible!

NZ-TK said:
You know, its completely beyond me, why MS haven't released a stereoscopic headset for 360. It doesn't need head tracking, just stereoscopic. Imagine it... it would be so amazing, I know a lot of the graphics effects would look a little funny, bump and normal maps wouldn't translate very well to stereo, I don't think, but still....Id buy one.

There are some third party headset peripherals available.. I've seen them at Toy R Us, but they haven't really caught on. I think that one of the earliest headsets like this was the 'Virtual Io' which failed miserably. After that I'm sure developers has been reticent to introduce a VR headset. It's a shame... I've always wanted one, but perhaps advances in technology will bring a next generaltion headset before too long.

There are stereoscopic headsets that run for about $300 USD
that only need an RCA jack and have the in put offered as well.

We were in Vegas about a year ago and saw a Gamecube hooked up
to one. Acts like a TV monitor with computers, TVs, Laptops, and I assume
video game systems.

So the technology is there just not at your local Target of Best Buy. :)

not sure if its applicable at all, but this guys describes how to take the head mounted display from that spy car rc toy, and "unlock" it:
http://jakeofalltrades.wordpress.com/2007/...ounted-display/

ive picked up a pair of cars myself on sale for...well..dirt arse cheap,
thinking about making a "gun-cam" for a paintballgun (peak around corners and all that jazz, and record in-game footage for review later)

something to think about at least :)

(note: sadly, the replacemnt displays teh company usd to sell seem to have been pulled from thier site)

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
theres already things like that that arn't considered virtual reality, like that visor ther is that is like watching a 72 in plasma screen tv from 6 feet away or something, but the size like the visor from star trek that jordy la forge or whoever, uses.

You know, I was thinking about this kind of thing a while back for armor, allow me to explain fully.

Since I'm the kind of unresourceful, lazy-bum kind of person who doesn't want to spend time looking for a reflective one-way visor, I always considered having the fiberglassed-over visor, and a video screen on the inside with a link to a small camera discreetly hidden on the outside of the helmet or something. It sounds like this thing could work wonderfully, because you could shape it to the inside of the visor instead of having a flat screen in front of your face. You'd need a backlight, obviously... There's tons of possibilities for something like this. Active camo, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back