Emile Foam Build-- NO PEPAKURA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice job! I, too, lack computer access to pepakura. You have given me hope that doing a full build from scratch can still look awesome! The forearm and gloves piece looks good. Keep up the work and the posts.

Very nice job! I, too, lack computer access to pepakura. You have given me hope that doing a full build from scratch can still look awesome! The forearm and gloves piece looks good. Keep up the work and the posts.
Quick note: If I end up doing the forearms again or you end up modeling yours off mine, there are a few things worth noting to do differently:
1. They are WAY too tall in the entry point but the exit point is fine. So, underpiece needs to be more rectangular, less trapezoidal(if that makes any sense at all.)
2. If you've already made them off mine(sorry for the late reply), then a good way to make them stay where they are is some form of padding. Wrist sweat bands work well, although I believe that there are better alternatives to wearing 2 pairs, such as the thicker padded wristguards used by kettle-bell lifters. Even if you do get them to a good snug size, this may still be advisable if you're using a large and somewhat clunky attachment like they way mine turned out.
3. I completely neglected the back part. there's supposed to be a bit more in the back, maybe a 1.5in. tapered end. Hopefully it's not too big an issue overall.

Anyway, thanks for just posting on this thread at all. It gets a little lonely out here in the forever-alone-net, hahaha. I hope your build goes well if you're doing one.
-TBB

All right! Even with the schoolwork, I have some progress and some pics to spice up this long-neglected thread!
Today, I decided to have a go at the thighs. I cut the pieces and almost finished gluing. They may be too 2-dimensional, but I will be adding detail and sanding, so I hope that will help. They're also a bit large, so I'll be tightening them, but that's not that important anyways because they'll be attached to the belt, which I'm hoping I can finish soon. Pictures!
-Pieces before glue
mms_picture (30).jpg
-Pieces after glue
mms_picture (31).jpg
More on these later! Stay cool everyone!

-TBB

Excellent work! I too don't use pepakura. I enjoy the challenge of making something without it. Keep up the good work! :)

i dont use pep either. currently im doing a RvB caboose build right now and it is looking good even tho its my first one.

i dont use pep either. currently im doing a RvB caboose build right now and it is looking good even tho its my first one.

Very cool that you're doing a RvB build! Did you try putting a link in your signature for said build? Or did the link just not work out? At any rate I'd like to see it..

Happy building everyone!
-TBB

Thank you! great that you're staying at your craft without tech help. Welcome to the 405th. Do you have any pictures of your cosplays/process? Have you considered starting a thread?

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of a lot of my process, as I'm trying to get everything done quickly. My school is doing a spirit week event next week (9/28-10/2), and I plan to wear my armor on that Thursday.
Specifically, I'm building an ODST set with cardboard (the helmet is with foam), and it's coming along pretty well.
I'll probably end up posting a thread tomorrow, with the pictures that I do have, and add photos of the finished product within the week.

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here :)

No kidding! My school is having a dress-up-as-a-character spirit day Friday but I don't think I'll have my helmet done by then so I'll probably wear a hoodie and a dragon priest mask :)
Anyhoo, I got some work done on the leg armor tonite- trimming the circumference, adding detail to the right thigh(not the left because that's where utilities go) and trying them both on. Pictures!
Detail, pre-mount
mms_picture (34).jpg
Me wearing right thigh after detail glue(street clothes, not undersuit)
mms_picture (33).jpg
Wearing the armor with undersuit
mms_picture (32).jpg
20150923_210517.jpg
20150923_210544.jpg
20150923_210559.jpg
Note: I will be adding more of the inner thigh part and attaching these to the waistpiece with straps/buckles. These are actually only about halfway done. probably less, actually. I was also wearing the clips here because I had recently glued them.

Happy building!
-TBB

Ok, possibly going to work more on the thighs tonight. I will likely add the smaller inner-liner-thingies to the armor. Also, my profile pic has changed to my in-game emblem. Still me underneath tho :)

Everything's looking great!
And i like the dragon priest mix with the armor. THAT would be cool to see!

Haha, as cool as that would be, the armor's not finished and nobody at my school would get it (damn mainstreamers ;-;))
Probably just the mask with a hoodie, the question is... Which?mms_picture (35).jpg
I have so many and I actually used to have more but did a giveaway after this group cosplay last year at halloween. It was a massive cardboard-and-duct tape endeavor, which used to be my main medium until I switched to foam about a half a year ago. They've suffered pretty bad from a year in the closet...
I mean, I'll probably wear Krosis(shown) just because it's flashy, but I have a Konahrik somewhere. I suppose I could also start a thread on quick masks, I have a feeling that could do well. Thoughts?

-TBB

You could try out a new mask, as it sounds like you have some extra time. Plus since it's only the mask, it could probably be put together and finished in a few days.
Or you could take the ones you have, fix them up and some effects or designs to it to make it look recent
Your choice though :)

OK, Update for anyone who's following this: I think I have a way to make the back of the helmet. I have a piece of foam that I cut multiple triangular slivers out of, causing a domed shape. I have glued it after holding the incisions shut with binder clips(handy) and actually burned myself on the hot glue once or twice-- Ouch! Anyway, I have it plasti-dipped and sitting next to a can that will probably become one of the grenades on the grenade harness. for the grenade belt, I will probably use small "to-go" coke cans as they are just the right size, albeit without the domed top.
View attachment 12771View attachment 12772
NEXT- Chest/Backplate!
Also, ideas/links to posts on helpful posts on the Kukri knife prop would be much appreciated! Thanks!
just use a real Kukri! i bought one for $20 at a pawn shop.

That's a bummer. And my, do I wish it was next friday! But time isn't always on our side.. Say, Skullboy134, are you from the East Coast or just up really early over here on the west coast?
Also, a real kukri? That's definitely not something to bring to school.. where's said pawn shop?
-TBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back